New to AoS

Valios the Deciever

Hi there I recently begun my chaos collection with a StD start collecting box and decided to expand into DoT seeing as I had Tzaangors and a Shaman from playing 1k sons in 40k. So I'm looking for some general tips and suggestions on how to expand my army (although I'd prefer to go more mortal / arcanites heavy rather than daemon) and have a question about a general trait in the DoT book where I can select 2 more spells from the change lore. Is it possible to give it my Lord of Chaos if he's my general? Or does it have to be a wizard because the battletome doesn't really specify. Thanks in advance for any replies.

So to answer the easier question, I believe if it is a command trait it would specify wizard, otherwise makes the general into a wizard so would be fine on a lord of chaos. In terms of a mortal list, there is the varanguard book Tzeentch battalion, you could build towards that. I'd suggest getting a unit of each type of disk, and a box of arcanites. That way you can test the units out, but they're all fun. Also gaunt summoner is awesome.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:10 AM, Valios the Deciever said:

Hi there I recently begun my chaos collection with a StD start collecting box and decided to expand into DoT seeing as I had Tzaangors and a Shaman from playing 1k sons in 40k. So I'm looking for some general tips and suggestions on how to expand my army (although I'd prefer to go more mortal / arcanites heavy rather than daemon) and have a question about a general trait in the DoT book where I can select 2 more spells from the change lore. Is it possible to give it my Lord of Chaos if he's my general? Or does it have to be a wizard because the battletome doesn't really specify. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Unfortunately just giving the lord spells doesn't give him the wizard rules text that tells you how many casts/unbinds he may attempt per turn, so his attempts = 0. There is a battalion that allows tzeentch heroes to cast arcane bolt "as if they were a wizard" though, but he still couldn't cast other spells... Believe me, I wanted that to be a thing too. ?

I second the chaos warriors though; hand weapons and shields all the way.

Maybe a curseling? Double casters are brutal, and he's got the statline of a chaos lord too. Then a mortal wound outlet like a gaunt, or a herald maybe?

Personally I'm looking to try and use my knights paired with a unit of enlightened on discs as fast anvil and hammer team (I've got wizards out the wazoo, but that means my army is currently a "come at me bro" of skinny weaklings ?).

Good additions next (in no particular order) :

*More warriors - solid battleline unit, hold objectives well.

*Chaos Knights (Lances) - tanky unit, does some serious damage if they charge, great target for Sorc Lord's Demonic Power spell.

*Chosen (provided you have a decent amount of Slaves to Darkness in the army) - strong stats, chance for mortal wounds hands out re-rolls to StD units

*Curseling - 2 spells, access to opponent's spells, no slouch in combat, works with Tzaangor banner

*Ogroid Thaumuturge - good all-round hero

*Chaos Lord on Manticore - command ability really helps Warriors, good melee fighter, good movement to get stuck in to opponents. 

*Tzaangor Skyfires - used to be the most busted unit in the game, now they're just really good. Few options for shooting attacks in the army

*More Tzaangors - they work best in high numbers

Probably avoid:

*Chariots - struggle to do much damage, can only really act as a speedbump

*Marauders -  they're cheap battleline, but they won't really contribute much without heaps of support; they'll just sit on an objective

*Chaos Lord on Foot - rubbish command ability, mediocore stats (might be a controversial one)

*Fatemaster - see Chaos Lord.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:33 PM, Waiyuren said:

Unfortunately just giving the lord spells doesn't give him the wizard rules text that tells you how many casts/unbinds he may attempt per turn, so his attempts = 0. There is a battalion that allows tzeentch heroes to cast arcane bolt "as if they were a wizard" though, but he still couldn't cast other spells... Believe me, I wanted that to be a thing too. ?

I second the chaos warriors though; hand weapons and shields all the way.

Maybe a curseling? Double casters are brutal, and he's got the statline of a chaos lord too. Then a mortal wound outlet like a gaunt, or a herald maybe?

Personally I'm looking to try and use my knights paired with a unit of enlightened on discs as fast anvil and hammer team (I've got wizards out the wazoo, but that means my army is currently a "come at me bro" of skinny weaklings ?).

My personal fave build for warriors is halberd/shields for the2" range. But yeah, warriors for sure and let's not forget the chaos lord on mount and unit of knights. Throw in a fatesworn battalion and you're rocking.

43 minutes ago, CyderPirate said:

*Marauders -  they're cheap battleline, but they won't really contribute much without heaps of support; they'll just sit on an objective

Funny how I always find room for these guys no matter what list/alliance I'm using..... They can be awesome if used correctly, and, as mentioned, are cheap.

Havent used the mounted lord yet, but he looks pretty tasty. 

Same with the halberd dudes -  dont have the models, but they're potentially brutal - especially if you can buff them with something like a warshrine, chosen or the manticore lord's command ability. 

Yeah, marauders are OK, but the best thing going for them is their points cost. I usually throw some in, even if its just to meet battleline requirements

Well, aside from their points........

Marauders get auto re-rolling 1s to hit, a potential +1 to hit on a 3+ (in large units, which is the only way to run them) a +1 to wound (if a 5-6 is rolled) a further +1 to hit if damned terrain is around. Put them in a fatesworn battalion for -1 rend, or give them a place in your nurgle force..... the glottkin loves these guys, +1 attack and double their wounds with his spell. Talk about a scary unit. Or run them in a plaque touched battalion for the added funfest of making them -1 to hit, with a 5 up DR roll. Run 35 of them for the MW output.... Speaking of that, the Blades of putrefaction works well with these guys (assuming no blight kings are in range of it). Also the shenanigans involving a plague priest.  Add a natural 6" move with +1 on run/charge. Paired with the GUO's bell make these guys a very real turn one threat. I call them my "elite marauders" with reason. Anybody who ignores them usually finds out the hard way that they are a serious threat. I can go on and on about these guys, but you get the drift.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've already got another box of warriors and plan on getting the lord on mount the harbringers of ruin box set for some more knights and the chariots some chosen and maybe some spawn to fill out the fatesworn requirements. Should be pretty nifty with DoT and a tzaangor coven.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:33 PM, Tasman said:

Funny how I always find room for these guys no matter what list/alliance I'm using..... They can be awesome if used correctly, and, as mentioned, are cheap.

40 for 200 and a decent chance of hitting on 3s (rerolling 1s) and perhaps wounding on 3s, with -1 rend from a Fatesworn Warband? I think they are underrated gold. (Although the immune to battleshock Portal helps them a lot in Khorne...)

Archived