Hardest kit you've built?

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Oddly enough, I ended up hating him (and Arkhan) for a while because of the opposition he had to Tomb Kings. Ah well, yeah, he's pretty freaking cool, and that art started it all.

I always found it neat that in the various stories over time he lost pieces of himself, or magic items that he had infused some of his life-force into and those items popped up as either generic items or in other armies.  For example, the orc character Azhag the Slaughterer came across Nagash's Crown and it helped his rise to power by whispering secrets and battle plans into his mind (even though he often did not understand those suggestions), and in the game it made him a mid-level Death wizard and also gave him the Stupidity rule. 

I always found it cool when GW would sprinkle little touches from armies and characters into other books.  I hope they continue with that practice more in Age of Sigmar.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Midjithero said:

Numinous Occulum...It isnt so much for the difficulty, but the casting is incredibly terrible!

i've been in this hobby about 21 years, and have built hundreds of kits between 40k, Fantasy/AoS, and all the side games...i wanted to throw this terrain piece against the wall and use it as basing material LOL!  

Yeah I was set on naming this too but you beat me to it. That model got me so angry. The globe cage thing fits so badly it is beyond me how anyone ever managed to complete this. Oh and since it is a scenery piece plastic glue wont work. So I superglued my hand together so many times that it reached a point where it was kinda difficult to figure out what part was my fingers and which was dried superglue... man I hate that model... 

Actually I have one more but thats mainly my own fault. 

After kitbashing and converting a Plagueclaw Catapult into a Nurgle version I had all the pieces painted before puting it together. The catapult is not exactly the most fun model to paint being mostly wood and metal so I was glad when I was finally wrapping the project up. However I did not consider the fact that all the small plastic pins that need to fit into some very airtight holes no longer fitted as they had been undercoated, based, shaded and drybrushed. So after stressfull 30minuttes of carefully scrapping paint of all those parts I still had to squeaze the delicate parts so hard that any sudden movement would have me accidentialy squash the model altogether. I remmember that it was snowing outside and yet I was going through my own personal hell so sweaty and stressed out that I had to stop several times to dry my hand as the model was slipping through my fingers while I was trying to force the parts to fit. In the end it worked out and I still do not know how that did not go wrong. Guess I owe Grandfather one for that..

Plastic GW: Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders Kit. Seekers of Slaanesh would be an honorable mention, because arms attach to bodies with non-interlocking and very tiny connections that fall off too easily. The SotT/WR kit has this special problem, but unlike the Seekers, who can sit on the Steeds without much issue, not a single rider sits on the elk mounts in a stable fashion. This is bad when you want to use the models before painting them, have to keep them separate to make painting easier, but want to chuck them in the garbage because they keep falling off.

Metal GW: Beast of Nurgle, because I still have no idea how this thing is supposed to fit together. Giant Eagle was particularly annoying too.

Other companies: Anything by Privateer Press. The metal models are annoying, but the fact they switched to plastic and don’t take advantage of the biggest pro of plastic, not having to use superglue, was a terrible idea.

Ikit Klaw. Mine is metal, and.... actually, mine is made of pure, concentrated hate. I'm not sure if they were all like it, because there's some mould slippage on mine, but I had to spend days cutting and filing it just to reach a point where the components would fit sufficiently to be heavily greenstuffed and pinned. He doesn't quite look like the original, I had to make a few alterations in the process.

For plastics, I think I've been lucky so far. Anything tricky has been due to my insistence on magnetizing it, the kits have all ben fine. I do have a Terrorgheist to build, though, so we'll see.

Skullvane Manse (Warscryer Citadel): Some kind of weird plastic that I have to hold for 30 min+ after glueing  (tried GW and Tamiya plastic cement) before it maybe wants to dry. Walls and roofs fit pretty badly so there is a lot of tension on the glue surfaces if you want to press things together to minimize gaps. 

I suspect I glued something a bit out of alignment at the beginning so everything else becomes a chore...

Anyways, it's by far GW's best looking terrain piece so it's worth it in the end. Gonna need a lot of greenstuff though!

The GW woods/trees are another terrain kit that is a pain to put together.  The bodies of the trees just don’t line up and leave big gaps.  Also the mold lines on that kit are terrible - I have a bunch and they are all awful.

That said, the models are trees - so you can get away with being lazy or fast with cleaning the mold lines and basic gap filling.  Trees are easy like that.

6 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

Plastic GW: Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders Kit. Seekers of Slaanesh would be an honorable mention, because arms attach to bodies with non-interlocking and very tiny connections that fall off too easily. The SotT/WR kit has this special problem, but unlike the Seekers, who can sit on the Steeds without much issue, not a single rider sits on the elk mounts in a stable fashion. This is bad when you want to use the models before painting them, have to keep them separate to make painting easier, but want to chuck them in the garbage because they keep falling off.

My fiancée and I agree we just built a box of Sisters of the Thorne last night and they are really tough. 

You can see how much Games Workshop model quality has moved forward with new AoS models, I barely ever have to remove mould lines on my Khorne but these Sisters have line in almost every part of them (tiered armour, hair, fingers, staffs) and they are so delicate you have to be very careful.

Agree that the arms don’t really fit together in a logical way, and the banner is too heavy for the non existent arm joint you need to attach it too.

This was the first kit she had ever built and I am worried it’s put her off, I need to make sure ge next box of Wonderers stuff is easier for her. . . Any recommendations? 

The old old metal hydra, and the dark elf metal manticore. Firstly, heads suspended at 90 degree angles will never stay up not pinned. And making a large metal model rest on two metal legs that are not part of the main body? Terrible.

Exalted seeker chariot of Slaanesh.... so many components.

and i’m still struggling with the exalted Keeper of Secret from Forgeworld. Every spike on this model has to be glued separately. For me is like: one spike for the model, two for the floorboards ?

I don't know if it counts, but I had the most frustration with the combination of kits when I made conversions. Once had the idea of a skycutter pulled by a lot of little birds. It would not stayed glued, no matter what I tried. The components are still in a box, the day will come when I try it again. 

I am a bit surprised no one said Mortis Engine. Most intimidating plastic kit I ever owned.

Admittedly, I think a lot of that has to do with it also requiring a fair bit of sub-assembly painting and I did not even try putting mine together so far (and I never might and just use the bits for conversions or build a coventhrone/blood plaquin instead).

Toughest plastic kit I actually tackled assembling "by the book" so far goes to Hexwraiths. The contact points of their (often multipart!) arms are tiny and not very clear. Luckily it looks like the upcoming Nighthaunt avoid that issue, though at the cost of hexwraiths looking very different from their fellow ghosts (along with Cairn Wraiths the only ghosts with skeletal hands and the only ghosts to have feet at all).

Old metal kits where a pain for young me, but that was mostly down to the material, I can not think of any old metal kit that would not be a breeze to build if it was reproduced 1 to 1 in plastik.

I did not like the old tomb scorpion, so much so that I didn't even bother with legs and had it coming up from the sands.

The screaming skull catapult is another that I disliked, though due to its size it went together 'easier' then the scorpion.

The harlequin death jester is annoying, it's just silly the way that thing goes together 

Archived