Crazy and fun army ideas for Destruction in AoS 2 (based on changes revealed so far)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bringing back 1 or 2 units of 30 ardboyz around turn three or four does sound strong If you can keep your Warchanter safe, though it doesn't sound as fun as other Ironjawz combo, there is some satisfactory if you can achieve it. 

well with all the changes  with Ardboyz going down and summoning Ardfist battalion does sound really amazing on paper.

8 hours ago, novakai said:

I want to tryout Ardfist battalion with three warchanter, but need more Ardboy for my Ironjawz first. i may go 3 units of 20 and see how well i can bring them back on the board

Sadly the battalion can only have one Warchanter,,so he gets sniped and all that goes away.

Now with the global spells like that wall thing,,it may be possible to keep him in the game long enough to use the regro.Although even running minimum units of 10 Ardboys will still yield maybe 1-2 units brought back in time to have an impact on the game.

Either way im currently building my Ironjawz models ive had stored up for some time,,gonna run them in my league play for the rest of this year.

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

For the run and charge?

Yeah going for a turn 1 charge gobbo list. All depends if the endless spells will be used in matched play events though, if not then I'll still use him but for retreat and charge in a counter attack list. 

I’m looking forward to anything (traits, artefacts etc) which can give gutbusters:

1. Ability to hit on a 3+ (especially shooting)

2. Ability to move further than 6 without the destruction move

3. Fly! I’d take anything just to be able to get over chaff units!

4. The bruiser with BSB warscroll in matched play

Ideally, I’d love it if there was an alternate warscroll for the frostlord called “tyrant on stonehorn/thundertusk” which has a cool command ability.

Tyrant

Tyrant

Butcher

Butcher

x6 Ogors

x3 Ogors

x3 Ogors

x12 Ledbelchers

x6 Ironguts

Gargant

Endless spells 

I hope I can cram that into 2000pts with the points reductions. What intrigues me most to bring my gutbusters back out is the potential for new command traits and artifacts and perhaps even a more suitable way to adapt a new allegiance battle trait or belonging to a realm to get something

There's a GT in Melbourne on Saturday 23rd.  I'll be deciding this week whether or not to go, but if I do, I'll be taking the Gutbusters.

Which is ridiculous because this army will probably be about 200 points cheaper a week later, but then again the armies I'm up against will also be 200 points cheaper, get 200 points of free summoning, or both!

Anyway if I do go my list will look like this, mainly for rule of cool (I fully understand how bad the cannons are!).  So you've got a range of different sized models for that purpose.

The endless spells are an interesting one, it's really useful for list building that they give you a range of price points.  I'm personally not interested in the new starter box, but I can't WAIT to get my hands on Malign Sorcery!

Spoiler

Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Trait: Might is Right
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Butcher (140)
Butcher (140)
Butcher (140)
12 x Ogors (400)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
3 x Leadbelchers (140)
3 x Leadbelchers (140)
20 x Grots (100)
1 x Ironblaster (140)
1 x Ironblaster (140)
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
- Allies
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
- Allies

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 340 / 400
Wounds: 163

No love for Ironguts? (even if they are too expensive) The proper amount of butchers you're running is partially wasted by not being able to affect your gargants, which I find a frustratingly random - though inexpensive - behemoth. I think you definitely want your heavy hitters to have the Ogor keyword. In butcher-centric lists, I like to ally mournfang. Nice and fast, and good damage with a +1 to hit.

And I won't mention the ironblasters, as you said, a tad weak but they look so cool.

3 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

No love for Ironguts (even if they are too expensive)? The proper amount of butchers you're running is partially wasted by not being able to affect your gargants, which I find a frustratingly random - though inexpensive - behemoth. I think you definitely want your heavy hitters to have the Ogor keyword. In butcher-centric lists, I like to ally mournfang. Nice and fast, and good damage with a +1 to hit.

And I won't mention the ironblasters, as you said, a tad weak but they look so cool.

Gargants are random yes! At heat 1 my gargant made his points every single game tho. Which cannot be said for my Maw Crusher. I think their strength also comes from being underestimated by our opponents. I honestly feel ballsy enough to make the statement that the gargant helped me snag a spot for the final due to his solid performance in the more tougher games against Tzeentch and Fireslayers. 

@PlasticCraic I'd say stick to your gargants, although you'll have some flux with their performance, don't be scared to throw your opponent a curveball with them on the field (flanking or second wave them.) I do agree about the cannons but hey, they are hella cool so why not! :D

Good luck on your event!

I have waxed nostalgic about Giants before, but I will do so again!

They have always been part of the Orc & Goblin army for as long as I have played this game (mid-90s) and honestly I have more fun anecdotes about the antics of my Giants than just about any other thing.  Giants are pretty random and always have been.  But on the whole I have found over the years that if you understand their strengths and weaknesses then they usually do a bit above average.  But, as with anything random there will be some games where your Giant is so drunk that day that he does almost nothing.  In the past that could happen from the Giant running away from bigger monsters (dragons and demons used to scare him), picking the wrong random attack to use each round, or getting overly excited and drunkenly falling down (sometimes killing really important stuff - like my lvl 4 wizard, my general, or causing a panic-chain reaction across a whole grot army). 

But, when he doesn't do dumb stuff he has always had quite powerful attacks and a few that are just nuts.  For example, managing to charge an Emperor Dragon with a General/Lord rider and deciding to not fight but just scream absurdly loud in it's face which causes the Giant to auto-win combat by +2 and neither side to fight.  Then the enemy rolls badly for their break test, ends up fleeing, and the giant catches them and kills them outright.  Or, the Giant barrels into an elite unit and decides it would be hilarious to jump up & down on the little people and over 2 turns annihilates the unit.   Or he charges an elite unit with an enemy General in it, decides to pick up the general, and then just eats the guy on the spot which auto-kills him.  But most of the time he would select a combination of meh attacks and a few nasty ones and he has always been cheap - so he tended to punch above his weight.

The current giant is honestly pretty stupidly cheap for the amount of attacks and the quality of attacks that he throws out.  He has a random amount of attacks, but honestly his current incarnation of on the whole more dangerous every turn than he has ever been.  He will no longer headbutt a Bloodthirster into submission (causing them to be staggered and lose all attacks) or pick up and eat a 500+ point general.  But instead he simply has a ton of hard-hitting attacks that he will throw out on average.  The downside is that his attacks decay a fair bit as he is damaged - but I think he still does pretty well for his cost until he is just about dead.

The main negative of the Giant is that he is going to fall down for some charges.  There is simply no way around that.  That is the current place where they kept the negative random shenanigans for the giant.  And he is going to fall on his face about 1 out of 6 charges - so it is not insignificant.  It is going to happen, and it may very well happen on a key turn.  My recommendation for that is to either plan around that and not depend upon it - or to embrace your inner gambler and go for it.

But I think one of the best strategies if you like Giants and want to use them is to understand that they are random and use them accordingly.  Don't build your whole strategy around them unless you are willing to have a key part of your strategy fail you on occasion.  Instead I recommend that people embrace how dangerous they are for how cheap they are and use them as something your opponent really cannot or should not ignore.  Ignore a giant to your own peril - they can put a hurting on most units and other monsters in the game.  People who leave a giant unmolested and end up on the receiving end will think twice about doing that in the future as he will probably smash a big hole in their force.  And if someone is concentrating on removing your giant then they are playing into your hands because he can absorb a fair bit of punishment for his cost.  He is also on a fairly small foot-print for his attack volume - which should not be discounted.  I believe the official base size for a giant is the same as for a single Gore Grunta.  Imagine consolidating an entire Gore Grunta unit into a single model for about the same cost and that is pretty close to what you get.

13 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

No love for Ironguts? (even if they are too expensive) The proper amount of butchers you're running is partially wasted by not being able to affect your gargants, which I find a frustratingly random - though inexpensive - behemoth. I think you definitely want your heavy hitters to have the Ogor keyword. In butcher-centric lists, I like to ally mournfang. Nice and fast, and good damage with a +1 to hit.

What you are saying is absolutely true, you really need a good recipient for the +1 to Hit.  Mournfang cover a couple of gaps because they give you durable cavalry to rush onto an objective, and their melee output isn't far behind Ironguts, so they are quite efficient allies.  I'm taking the Gargants purely because I never use them and they're cool. 

I also think a 60 block of Grots is a very effective weapon in this army, auto capping 20+ objectives and also benefitting from the "Bloodletter Effect" (getting significant bonuses for being taken in large groups, whilst also gaining a points discount).  The major downside is that with their 8" range you will often need to split your attacks, which is a massive pain in the rear end when you're dealing with counting out 180 dice.  Twice.  

The 6x Ironguts were the last unit to drop out, for 2x cannons and 20 Grots (plus a possible Triumph).  Definitely a downgrade, but I wanted those cannons in there!  And I think the two combined give it a nice ramschakle feel.

So a question for you, within these constraints, would you take 12 Ogors or 6 Ironguts?  My current thinking is that I need a big durable unit in there, and I have access to heavy rend / mortal wounds through the Gargants, Tyrant and Butchers.  So the 12x Ogors are more useful for their volume of wounds and attacks which I lack elsewhere.  Although as you said, 6x Ironguts is an awesome recipient for the +1 to Hit buff.

Aesthetically I love the 12x Ogors which is a consideration, but only a minor one here, because I do like Ironguts too, and I think this army will look cool on the table either way.

I took the Kunnin Rukk to an event last weekend and it was a bit of a grind...I woke up on Day 2 wishing I had brought something fun like Gutbusters, which is why I'm taking the units I like this time around, rather than what I think are the most efficient choices ?

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

What you are saying is absolutely true, you really need a good recipient for the +1 to Hit.  Mournfang cover a couple of gaps because they give you durable cavalry to rush onto an objective, and their melee output isn't far behind Ironguts, so they are quite efficient allies.  I'm taking the Gargants purely because I never use them and they're cool. 

I also think a 60 block of Grots is a very effective weapon in this army, auto capping 20+ objectives and also benefitting from the "Bloodletter Effect" (getting significant bonuses for being taken in large groups, whilst also gaining a points discount).  The major downside is that with their 8" range you will often need to split your attacks, which is a massive pain in the rear end when you're dealing with counting out 180 dice.  Twice.  

The 6x Ironguts were the last unit to drop out, for 2x cannons and 20 Grots (plus a possible Triumph).  Definitely a downgrade, but I wanted those cannons in there!  And I think the two combined give it a nice ramschakle feel.

So a question for you, within these constraints, would you take 12 Ogors or 6 Ironguts?  My current thinking is that I need a big durable unit in there, and I have access to heavy rend / mortal wounds through the Gargants, Tyrant and Butchers.  So the 12x Ogors are more useful for their volume of wounds and attacks which I lack elsewhere.  Although as you said, 6x Ironguts is an awesome recipient for the +1 to Hit buff.

Aesthetically I love the 12x Ogors which is a consideration, but only a minor one here, because I do like Ironguts too, and I think this army will look cool on the table either way.

"12x Ogors or 6x Ironguts?" You cruel man why would you make me choose? ?

To be perfectly honest, 3 butchers, 12 ogors, and 6 ironguts is literally the beginning foundational backbone upon which I begin to build gutbuster lists. My hard decisions are usually "how many leadbelchers can I fit and what allies". With gutbusters and especially butchers, I want almost zero non-ogor keywords in the whole army. One unit of grots or a troggoth hag (but not both) would be the only tempting exceptions.

But if we built armies for pure optimization, let's be honest, we wouldn't even be in this grand alliance :P so your constraints are fair.

a 48 wound slab of 12 ogors with double weapons are actually pretty nasty in combat, esp. considering the ironfists do nothing against rend-1. I like the ironfists for units of 3 since they can get in cover, but in a gutbuster allegiance army I'm always going leadbelchers over ogors for smaller unit sizes (even if they didn't have ranged, as rend is king). 4+ save Ironguts can reach over a front line, even of ogors, and they smash, esp with a hit buff.

If you expect opponents with lots of rend, ironguts. If you expect opponents with lots of mortal wounds, ogors. If you expect both, then its a question of opponent target priority. Ironguts are a target, while 12 ogors generally are not. What will they want to take out first if you aren't on the 'guts? Are you okay with that? etc.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:34 PM, Skabnoze said:

Or, the Giant barrels into an elite unit and decides it would be hilarious to jump up & down on the little people and over 2 turns annihilates the unit.

Or he charges skinks and doesn't kill any despite being unwounded... as one of mine did in Heat 1. However I agree with you Skabnoze, they are great fun and with the points drop I can see them coming back into my army for Heat 3 and Blood and Glory...

Just putting this out there as a crazy and fun idea for literally any Destruction army.

5x Fungoid Cave Shaman allies.  All set up deep in your own territory out of unbind range.

One of them slaps down the Spell Portal, and the others chuck through mortal wounds for days.

2 spells each, rerolling failed casts for a face-melting Turn 1.

Even his warscroll spell could be useful with the Spell Portal slap bang in the middle of your opponent's heroes.  Then you can fling through an endless spell or three for fun times. 

In my BCR army, I would consider allying in 1x Butcher and 3x Fungoid (to fling the Great Maw through there).  Similarly you could be putting Foot of Gork or Bone Krusha (Lore of the Savage Waaagh!) through with Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz.

3 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Granted, 5 is probably overkill unless you wanted to spend about 300 points on Endless Spells and use all the new toys.

But we're talking crazy and fun, right?  So let's spend about 300 points on Endless Spells, and use all the new toys!

Problem is you're limited to one Endless Spell a Turn so you'd struggle to do enough spells with the limited spells you've got.

2 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Problem is you're limited to one Endless Spell a Turn so you'd struggle to do enough spells with the limited spells you've got.

I think that each wizard can cast a different endkess spell per turn... you cannot have more than one of the same soell on the table, so if you want to go nuts (and why not? ?) and pay for all of them, they could really flood the enemy with them...

actuallyi loved the idea... ?

cheers

AJ

Archived