All Mortals v Mixed v all Daemons

BaronBanana

Hello all, I've been reading through the forums for a bit now, with 2nd Ed AoS coming, and I found a lot of answers to questions that I wanted to, except a couple.  How do all mortal armies fare compared to mixed and all daemon?  I personally hate 99% of the daemon models and was curious if mortals was relatively playable on their own.  

It really depends on which faction you're looking at playing: all mortal Nurgle and Khorne armies are solid all around. For Nurgle, the Glotkin (surprisingly mortal), Festus, and Blightkings are standout units, but almost any of them are worth taking (I mean heck, the Sorcerer is one of the most underrated models in Nurgle's lineup in my opinion.) Khorne is great as well as you can go more elite (Blood Warriors and heroes) or hordes of maniacs (Blood Reavers). And don't forget, you can use Chaos Marauders as a cheap mortal battleline.

I don't have much experience with Tzeench and I've never played against Slaanesh in my life, so I can't speak to those. I love the looks of the Slaves to Darkness but they don't really perform that well if you're trying to get competitive.

I'm not looking to be too competitive, but I'm also not looking to building X amount of models to just get super steam rolled every game.  I used to have a Marauder army with Forgeworld monsters, including the mammoth, I loveed that army.  I'm kind of hoping AoS2 brings back the Norsca esque army via Darkoath.  

At least on the Nurgle side, there are a lot of abilities that just require NURGLE, so I think you can do well with anything.  The Pusgoyles are mortal and deamon, so you can use them anywhere.

But Nurgle is just crazy diverse... They also have Rotbringer, Monster (Tamurkhan), and Clan Pestilens.    

As for 2.0, I think Nurgle's options get even a little wilder, as they have tons of command ability options.

So far mixed armies in my opinion have preformed the best. Keep in mind that just like 4th and 5th ed WFB there is no real difference between Warriors/Hordes of Chaos and Daemons of Chaos anymore, so don't feel obliged to go one path or the other. In general I'd say going 'mono' is an easy mistake. The armies as they are now are largely Chaos god based, not sub-race based as was the case in later editions of WFB. 

From the articles we've seen so far there is a suggestion given that Archaon will change. How, why and when is unclear so honestly you can get him for model reasons but any advice given about him now will likely be moot in two months. Personally I don't think Chaos Undivided really excists anymore, but it's possible that it will eventually return. Even Archaon is all Chaos marks and Daemon and Mortal. But based on that I think you don't view Archaon as a Daemon? 

Hating certain models certainly means that you are more restricted in your choices. Having said that you can go mono mortal with any army, though I find it hard to believe someone actually hates the newer Greater Daemons but likes to play "Chaos Warriors". All in all they have been longer part of the same chaos god army as they where split...

On 5/30/2018 at 12:46 AM, Killax said:

but likes to play "Chaos Warriors".

Dont you insult my classic model collection now killax!

5th+Ed+Chaos+Warriors.jpg

?

Anyways I think Khorne and Nurgle are the easiest to run mortals. While you may not be able to use "the greatest battleline for chaos ever TM" (Bloodletters), khorne has a solid backbone of mortals to use, I mean they even had their own battletome in the beginning! Putrid Blightkings are great, one of the few units that actually are pretty solid at their minimum unit size. And don't discount a decent horde of chaos warriors, they still got a solid punch.

And Darkoath may be getting a solid update later with their harbinger.

Like a mortal chaos army is probably still waaay more usable than say an ogor or greenskin list.

9 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Dont you insult my classic model collection now killax!

5th+Ed+Chaos+Warriors.jpg

?

Anyways I think Khorne and Nurgle are the easiest to run mortals. While you may not be able to use "the greatest battleline for chaos ever TM" (Bloodletters), khorne has a solid backbone of mortals to use, I mean they even had their own battletome in the beginning! Putrid Blightkings are great, one of the few units that actually are pretty solid at their minimum unit size. And don't discount a decent horde of chaos warriors, they still got a solid punch.

And Darkoath may be getting a solid update later with their harbinger.

Like a mortal chaos army is probably still waaay more usable than say an ogor or greenskin list.

I remember when the current models came out for warriors. I almost started chaos when those old ones were the models we had, I’m glad I held off. The current models are still some of my favourite troop models. 

I play mortal Slaanesh army and have a lot of fun with it. No one expects how fast the Seeker ability can get units right where you need them to be. Also the Slaanesh hero’s abilities are all really good.

I do miss my Ogre Kingdoms, what a fantastically fun army that was.  I've never been a huge of Chaos Warriors, the knights were always my speed.  Marauders, monsters, and knights.  Depending on the new edition, I'll probably start a Tzeentch Mortals army.  My true hope is that Darkoath Marauders are thing

• 3 weeks later...

Archived