Disposessed or Fyreslayers?

CaptainNippon

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to build a Duardin force with a hunting party theme, but I'm not sure which rules to use, so maybe you can give me a few pointers.

The general idea is to have a large shooty unit tunneling (either Irondrakes + Pickaxe Artifact for Disposessed or Auric Hearthguard + Runesmiters), supported by some infantry, artillery, Gyrocopters and Gryph hounds.

Now, the two core builds look fairly similar, but they do influence how the rest of the list will looke like.  

How would you go about this particular concept?

Looking forward to your answers!

Unless you're in major rush I would hold off until we see the full extent of AoS 2nd edition as along with the rules changes, new realm artifacts and magic as well as points changes we may be seeing some Warscroll updates and this may impact your decision.

If you are in a rush then go with whatever you like the look of miniature wise and if the 2nd Ed changes cause you to reevaluate your choice then you should still be able to utilize whatever you've already done as a small Allied force anyway.

Lore wise i'm prone to answer Fyreslayers. Dispossessed looks more like a field army, full plate battallion ready to hold an orruk charge. 

Fyreslayers bands often accept quest for ur gold, i can see a small mercenary group on the hunt for some filty bandits band or to fetch the son of some noble mecenate or whatever. 

59 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

Unless you're in major rush I would hold off until we see the full extent of AoS 2nd edition as along with the rules changes, new realm artifacts and magic as well as points changes we may be seeing some Warscroll updates and this may impact your decision.

If you are in a rush then go with whatever you like the look of miniature wise and if the 2nd Ed changes cause you to reevaluate your choice then you should still be able to utilize whatever you've already done as a small Allied force anyway.

Good point. I will hold off on more purchases for now.

52 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Lore wise i'm prone to answer Fyreslayers. Dispossessed looks more like a field army, full plate battallion ready to hold an orruk charge. 

Fyreslayers bands often accept quest for ur gold, i can see a small mercenary group on the hunt for some filty bandits band or to fetch the son of some noble mecenate or whatever. 

I was planning to write my own background for these guys and then just decide between the "right" rules template to use. 

For example, I have to decide between Auric Hearthguard and Irondrakes, but I'll most likely buy the irondrakes anyway and convert them to fit the theme. 

They are supposed to be feral dwarfs and have a celtic/druidic feel to them. 

1 hour ago, CaptainNippon said:

Good point. I will hold off on more purchases for now.

I was planning to write my own background for these guys and then just decide between the "right" rules template to use. 

For example, I have to decide between Auric Hearthguard and Irondrakes, but I'll most likely buy the irondrakes anyway and convert them to fit the theme. 

They are supposed to be feral dwarfs and have a celtic/druidic feel to them. 

Converted Irondrakes don't fit really well for Hearthguard rules, they are too heavily armoured IMHO the Hearthguard fit a lot better with your theme anyway.

8 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Converted Irondrakes don't fit really well for Hearthguard rules, they are too heavily armoured IMHO the Hearthguard fit a lot better with your theme anyway.

That's true, but the Hearthguard miniatures are a no-go for me, personally (they are also more expensive per model). I'm going to use different heads and arms/weapons for the irondrakes to make them less bulky - probably naked heads with hoods modeled on top and the Freeguild Outrider Repeater Cannons for the arms. I've ordered some test bits to see how the proportions work out. They should be here at some point next week and I'll show the first results asap.

6 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Aren't Thunderers (dispo) better for your idea?

They look a bit dated imo and scale wise they don't quite match up with the new releases. SInce they were designed for WHFB exclusively, they're also designed to line up in a block and look rather two dimensional when used on round bases for AoS. 

It's a similar issue witthe the High Elf Infantry from Blood Isle.

Archived