Sayl Away With Me Honey - Plague Touched Warband theory craft and help

Oldshrimpeyes

Hi all.

I recently dug up a load of Slaves to Darkness models. I spent a while thinking about what to do with them and then I stumbled upon the Plague Touched Warband warscroll. I have been in the market for a side project for a while (painting Tzaangors has done me in a little bit) and this seemed like an excellent opportunity. 

This is the current working list:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount(140)
- General
- Trait: Hideous Visage 
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge 
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore(200)
Sayl The Faithless (120)

Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Greatblade
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
- Mark of Chaos: None
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Mark of Chaos: None

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 160

Anyone fancy piling in on whether this will work, is worth the effort etc?

Now, a few things. 

1) I only actually have to purchase 2 things on the list to make it work. The sorceror on Manticore and the great weapons for the Chaos warriors. Ideally I would like to keep it this way and not include Blightkings without a  compelling reason why. The Manticore is only in there because I feel like I need something big and scary. I'd be all ears if someone had a better idea.

2) are great weapons a good call here? I give up some of the defensive utility of chaos warriors. But in exchange I get dat sweet rend. The batallion ability gives me another layer of survivability too so I'm not too fussed about trading the shield out. 

3) naturally all the units here are fielded in their nearest multiple of 7.

4) general strategy is to create a bravery debuff circle with the Lord on Daemonic Mount at the epicentre. Meanwhile, Sayl is launching people all over the place. This gives me the ability to start racking up contagion points a lot sooner by dropping units in enemy deployment zones. With AoS 2.0 coming up you bet on me buying at least 2 boxes of Start Collecting Nurgle Daemons

5) as a relative newb to Maggotkin, can anyone suggest an optimal second artifact (and for whom) as I cannot make my mind up. Similarly, spells. 

6) I realize alot of the above may be rendered meaningless by GHB2 changes but I hope that StD will dodge the nerf hammer.

I'd ditch the sorcerer on manticore, he just doesn't hit hard enough and his spell isn't great either. I'm sure you can find something else in the Nurgle book to replace him with.

I'd be concerned  with paying for 10 warriors but only using 7 of them, I think pay for 15 but use 14 is a lot better. I'd cut some of the points out of the Knights in order to do that.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount(140)
- General
- Trait: Overpowering Stench 
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge 
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Sayl The Faithless (120)
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
30 x Chaos Marauders (180)
- Axes & Shields
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Greatblade
30 x Chaos Marauders (180)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 184

Blades work nice with +1hit of lord on knights, aswell +1 hit of marauder's banner

1 more Artifact to take, carrion dirge is a must here, maybe on the general, knights gives - 1 bravery and dirge - 2,-3 bravery on fast units is huge

Keep the warriors with hand-weapons & shields. They'll last a whole lot longer and hit more reliably. 

I've run greatblades and was not impressed. They're not an offensive unit, they're defensive (unless you're buffing the hell out of them)

I'm totally on board with not running warriors as 7's. I should be making them 14s. I'll ditch one of the units of knights to make some room. I thought the bravery debuff was from each unit of knights, but it just triggers on anyone near knights. So, running a wider unit of one to accompany the general makes more sense than using 2. 

I'm not going to run marauders, especially not 60 of them. As I said in my post, I'm not keen on splashing out on a lot more for this and it will be a cold day in hell before I buy 60 of those utterly repulsive models. 

I'm going to have to shelve this whole idea though until the new points come out. Its a massive pain in the bum as list building and theory crafting is one of my favourite things!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, Oldshrimpeyes said:

naturally all the units here are fielded in their nearest multiple of 7.

So.... the Chaos Warriors Warscroll says (annoyingly so) that their minimum unit size is 10. (Even Though they could be bought in blocks of 5 in the 2017 GHB?)

Depending on what the new GHB says ... you may need to up the unit size to 15.

Apparently Chaos Marauders are going to be blocks of 20?

And the serious icing on the cake is that “understrength Units (p.13) can’t be used as a part pf a Warscroll battalion” p.15 core rules :( 

Yeah, its pretty much as I feared; the new GHB/rules have knee capped this before it could get off the ground.

I can only assume all the Everchosen Battallions will change somewhat to accommodate the new rule about understrength units. 

But, in any case, I still have a nice chunk of mortal units to use in some capacity. 

Archived