Your Faction Ideas?

Hi! I'm decently new to TGA, but from what I've seen, this place has a load of great ideas. So I thought this could maybe be a thread where you post ideas for new factions that you've had.

Some ideas I've had are;

-A race of Fishmen that could serve as rivals to the Idoneth.

-A Mongolian-Raider style Goblin/Hobgoblin faction.

-A technocrat faction in Chamon, with a massive obsession with Metal enhancements.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the grounds that Destruction shouldn't be limited to orruks, grots and ogors (damn, typing those words still makes me hurt inside), I have been dreaming of a humans/foul-tempered monstrous forest animals army, the general able to ride some brutish angry paleolithic deer, amber magic used as javelins, bear cavalry/heavy infantry (who gave the bears armour and halberds?!? Sweet baby Jesus, who?!?)... I have plans.

My signature pretty much sums up my most developed faction but breaking it down:

Suneater Tribes - Ogors and Grots (Gothi) worshipping the Suneater aspect of gorkamorka, erecting great pyres to his glory throughout the realm. Flame centric faction of destruction focusing on prayers and spells and wielding artillery/beasts

Aeloran Empire - Fire Aelves from Aqshy preserved in their hidden temple of light by the Phoenix queen, and immortal demigoddess from a time before time. Much of their existance was sheltered as they sought to recover their populace from an endless void between realmgates having concealed them there in the age of chaos. 

Aeloran Nomads - Following on from the above, in the cataclysmic release of their populating from the void the Aelorans lost the phoenix queen to soul severing Fae, whilst their numbers were restored they were robbed of the restorative light of the phoenix queen protecting their souls. Some factions fled to Ghur, taking to using lesser beasts as "soul anchors" to stave off degeneration, in time this has given them more animalistic features and an innature understanding of beasts and the ways of Ghur. 

Skin Wolves for Chaos or Destruction. One of the few fantasy-themes Warhammer has never really ventured into is werewolves.  Also in the case of Destruction it serves to toss out another quasi-human faction to help diversify the Allegiances a bit when humanity is meant to be so widespread... but mainly just because werewolves.

Oh, I've had a few.  I've got a Gargant faction concept list posted in the Destruction Forums, and also did a short bit for an expanded Firebelly faction.  I've been meaning to do a faction concept list for Sky Grots as well.  But other ideas?

Crystal Duardin:  Based in Hysh, but found anywhere crystals and gemstones grow.  Use crystals for everything - magic batteries, barrels for light rifles, force shields.  The more crystals, the merrier.

Nihil Cults:  Death-aligned living humans who have devoted themselves to Nagash for various depressing reasons.  Led by Necromancers, have in-faction Zombies, count on destroying the bodies at least twice.

I forgot to mention this (and I have no idea how to edit posts on this forum), but I actually had two more ideas.

The first was Extra-Magical Orruks.  Like as if you had an entire faction of Weirdboys.  Crazy, insane, with a good chance of your troopers spontaneously combust and plenty of lightning going around for anyone, it's one of those truly absurd ideas.

The second was Unbound Elementals for Destruction.  Originally conceived as beings of raw energy and entropy from the very fringes of the Mortal Realms, who sought to destroy them to create an ideal habitat for themselves.  Not going forth with this one; it's basically those new Eternal Spells given an army book.

4 hours ago, HiddenElephant said:

Oh, I've had a few.  I've got a Gargant faction concept list posted in the Destruction Forums, and also did a short bit for an expanded Firebelly faction.  I've been meaning to do a faction concept list for Sky Grots as well.  But other ideas?

Crystal Duardin:  Based in Hysh, but found anywhere crystals and gemstones grow.  Use crystals for everything - magic batteries, barrels for light rifles, force shields.  The more crystals, the merrier.

Nihil Cults:  Death-aligned living humans who have devoted themselves to Nagash for various depressing reasons.  Led by Necromancers, have in-faction Zombies, count on destroying the bodies at least twice.

I like the Nihil Cults, we've seen humans and the dead work together in  Malign Portents but nowhere else.

I still think the beastclaw raiders have untapped potential riding "Thunder Birds" and Ice Rocs" into battle. Imagine how big the bird would have to be. These things are terrifying in mythology and already massive. Now up size it to ogre size.  I can imagine they didn't even want to try tame these things but had no choice with more and more airborne threats their ground forces couldn't do until one crazy tribe managed it. They would also have flightless ground swarms of ice penguins. 

I think there is room for one or two more unique looking dwarf factions themed around the elements. Many here have speculated of a dispossed successor army that had to seal themselves into metal and stone constructs and give up their bodies just to survive. Also we have columbia bioshock dwarves with KO. Give us Rapture Big Dawi. 

A destruction one this time. The Giant Kingdoms. These are playing against type. IIRC in the old days it is said giants once had their own kingdom. Well who said they haven't had a chance now? They would very much go against the typical destruction sterotype in that they have begun to have a very crude civilizaiton and forge armor. Armored giants with forged weapons. Let that sink fear into you as they are already tough enough just being giants. However they have an immense racial hatred for anything non destruction because of all the past experiences with man and violet war erupts with order factions on principle. They even fight their own destruction people for prime land for resources and just because there is still lots of fightiness in them from their crude days. 

Also either here or in 40k but Bird people! Jeez its been how long and we still can't yell "Hawkmen DIIIVEE!" out loud at the table tops. For shame GW. I rest my case. 

2 minutes ago, Slayerofmen said:

Before the start of new armies id love to see the reintroduction of the other 80% of the model range with battletomes

The dispossessed 

A new lease of life for high elves

A gut buster battletome etc 

Nah its too much to support them when new models look and fit Sigmar better. At this point I think we've got just about all the old fantasy models that work. I think the DE is the start of the phasing out of most of the rest of the fantasy stuff. 

1 hour ago, Barkanaut said:

Nah its too much to support them when new models look and fit Sigmar better. At this point I think we've got just about all the old fantasy models that work. I think the DE is the start of the phasing out of most of the rest of the fantasy stuff. 

Hm, killing of about 60+%  of factions, that are part of the lore where this should have been done at the start of Realmgate Wars? After some of them had stories or were mentioned in the Malign Portents shortstories. I don't think so.

I honestly believe rather than flat killing them off they'll integrate a handful of the factions new units into a brand new faction as opposed to just battletoming people existing collections. Looking at Aelves especially once the 2 Hyish aelf factions and Malaerions new aelves come out I cant believe theyd maintain all the old Aelf subfactions plus the 5 new major aelf factions in the game, it'd be far too broad. Similarly we have the Fyreslayers from one dwarf god, the rest will likely be integrated into the Dwarven god of the forges army (Steamhead duardin was thrown about a while ago as the name).

I'd love to see troggoths expanded into a proper faction, I really enjoyed playing Throgg the troll king in total war: warhammer but I think a destruction variant on that idea would be more interesting in AoS. My thought would be you have a breed of troggoths whose ancestors drank the spilled blood of gorkamorka (perhaps during his initial fight with sigmar). They gained a level of cunning and ferocity beyond that of the average troggoth and became brutal leaders that can keep troggoths and other monsters in line. The idea would be to truly realise that Lord of the monster horde line from Throgg with troggoths backed up by other monstrous destruction units.

New models take a long time to produce and some of the "old" models aren't that old. I think we'll see a mixed approach, some factions slowly phased out whilst others are just revamped. I'm pretty sure the wanders will stick around as they've been featured in several stories. The gutbusters are essentially a full army just waiting a battletome and those models aren't that old so I can't see them being phased out. perhaps some of the smaller aelf factions such a scourge privateers will disappear in time (their pirate elves theme is kind of covered by the idoneth) but I honestly think it will be a slow process.

I'd love to see any of the following:

Death:

• An elite vampire army made up of mounted and foot knights as well as winged vampires. Blood thralls to serve as 'living' auxiliaries and bulking out the numbers.
  • Fleshing out deathrattle to make a true skeletal army replete with war machines, light and heavy cavalry and missile troops, maybe with the odd skeletal monster or monstrous infantry/cavalry.
  • Likewise, zombies and necromancers becoming a true "plague of undeath" army  which resurrects slain foes but crumbles incredibly quickly when you kill off the sorcerers that bind it.

Order:

• Rather than a generic human faction, I'd like to see a true "free cities" faction combining the remains of the high/dark elves, dispossessed and free guilds. This could represent the diverse societies of the major cities of the mortal realms and give the most relatable faction. I'd like to see them with a relatively similar aesthetic to tie them in a bit more, with some new units featuring aelves and duardin with sigmarite iconography and a move away from the Empire aesthetic for humans. To my mind most dispossessed, freeguild and darkling coven minis would represent the regular and levy troops of a free city, with the Ironweld present and the Collegiate Arcane and Eldritch Council similarly combined into a single entity. The phoenix temple, lion rangers, orders draconis and serpentis etc could represent various orders tied to the cities.
  • Fleshed out swifthawks and corsairs. Shadowblades would fit into the former and dark riders into the latter. I'd love to see something like Warhawk riders make a comeback as a swifthawk unit, along with the ellyrian reavers minis. Corsairs would get a return of the bolt thrower and hopefully some new monsters to go with the beast masters theme.
  • Hysh and Ulgu aelves. Nuf said.
  • Devoted of Sigmar - Templar knights, hordes of flagellents and insane preachers. Yes please!
  • Wood elves were my first proper army, so I'd love to see Wanderers get some love, especially the return of Wardancers, which were pretty original by WFB standards. Emphasis on ambush and of course, shooting.

Destruction:

• Hobgoblin Mongols. Simply too cool a theme to let die. Massive emphasis on speed, maybe a new wolf chariot and definitely wolf riders on mounts as dynamic as the fenrisian wolves sculpts.
  • Greenskinz update - Go back to the "endless green horde" feeling to make them stand out from Ironjawz. 
  • Gargant army - similar idea to Imperial Knights in 40k - mostly allies but a very cool thematic faction. Maybe introduce a couple of characters.
  • Update Ironjawz - Shooty unit with giant crossbows that hit like a bolt thrower. 'Lieutenant' style character to go with the megaboss. Job done.
  • Troggoths - Return of Throgg. Very powerful but dim units that need babysitting to work reliably.
  • Gutbusters. Not sure here but I love the mini range and want them to have a home again.
  • Fimir - It's been seven editions. They deserve to finally get an army.

Chaos:

• Combine the undivided factions into a single battletome featuring Everchosen (fleshed out with a couple of new units but insanely elite) Slaves to Darkness (Chaos Warriors) and Darkoath Tribes (marauders)
  • Chaos Duardin - masters of industry who bind daemons to create terrible war machines. Mostly I just want to see the Forge World range given a proper AoS background.
  • Beastmen to return as the true children of chaos. Roll brayherds, monsters of chaos and warherds into one. Give gors some insane mutations and bring back centigors, bovigors and the god specific beastmen. I'd also love to see the Gavechild from Realms of Chaos make a comeback as a kind of prophet.
  • Hosts of Slaanesh - I can't wait to see what GW has in store for these guys, but ideally I'd love to see a more aelvan aesthetic as a nod to the old Cults of Slaanesh, combined with exploring some of the other areas of excess rather than just 'heh, ******.'
  • Skaven - a single battletome covering all four great clans and the warlord clans. Focusing on one clan gets you additional allegiance benefits. Perks include the ability to shoot into combat. Long range command abilities that allow your general to hide at the back and updates to the Eshin and Moulder ranges to bring them into line with Skyre and Pestillens. Ideally, new night/gutter runners, an eshin sorcerer, master moulder and new rat ogres, giant rats and rat swarms. Also, new skyre acolytes because those sculpts are crazily old.

How about an entirely new realm, that has been floating around the Great Void and has just come into alignment...

"The Realm of Frost"

An inhospitable realm populated by a hardened breed of human who wield the powers of ice-magic and steam to survive.

A land of towering ice-citadels.

Bear-riding cavalry.

And giant steam powered land-trains bristling with fire-power.

They've formed nations at the heart of the realm, and are constantly fighting back Beast-Claw Raiders and Chaos Troggoths / Slaves to Darkness at their borders.

---

A new Cthulhu-esque / Atlantean nightmare faction for Chaos (they've found a way of passing through the Great Void and into the realms oceans... spawning a new breed of Chaos that are able to survive the trip).

Great topic, love many of the ideas posted here! A LOT!
In general I'd like to see all these ideas worked out. I love the sketches WFB also put down in the past to see eventually fleshed out.

Other than factions and whole armies I'd love to see more vehicles/vessels and the like though! The Kharadron Airships are awesome and I'd eagerly see more of that for Age of Sigmar also. The new rules seem to focus a lot on Magic and I will say that this is step 1 of a design I really love.

Best of all is that it's quite likely some ideas posted here will be fleshed out. Keep them comming!

10 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

On the grounds that Destruction shouldn't be limited to orruks, grots and ogors (damn, typing those words still makes me hurt inside), I have been dreaming of a humans/foul-tempered monstrous forest animals army, the general able to ride some brutish angry paleolithic deer, amber magic used as javelins, bear cavalry/heavy infantry (who gave the bears armour and halberds?!? Sweet baby Jesus, who?!?)... I have plans.

I think this is one of the most possible/probable future faction ideas for AoS. There is a huge design space for GW to develop some kind of "Forces of Nature" destruction army bent on flattening any man made structures, cities etc. 

If I was GW I think I would have ret-conned Brayherds and warherds into destruction from the start and they could fit well in this kind of army along with all kinds of Mortal Realms versions of animals like Bears, Wolves, Hunting Cats and more fantastic monsters and various "centaur" combinations. You could also build in multiple lycanthrope creatures. Earth, Air, Fire and Water Elementals have almost limitless model design possibilities along with various flying creatures. 

It could be a really unique looking army with lots of build posibilities - swarms, monster mash, flying circus...

Aside from this I would really like to see some kind replacement for the Lizard Men, because personally i'm not buying the imaginary space lizards made of starlight concept.

Some kind of Draconian type army with lots of dragon based aesthetics rather than real world lizard/Aztec fusion would be amazing. Taking established fantasy tropes (dragons in this case) and putting a twist on them is what GW do best in my opinion. Maybe this will get covered in The Artist Formerly Known as Malekith's army but that would still just be elves with pets like those deepkin losers... Even if dragons are more interesting pets than fish and turtles (the most boring of all pets) I would rather see something that was all dragonkin.  

1 hour ago, AGPO said:

I'd love to see any of the following:

Death:

• An elite vampire army made up of mounted and foot knights as well as winged vampires. Blood thralls to serve as 'living' auxiliaries and bulking out the numbers.
  • Fleshing out deathrattle to make a true skeletal army replete with war machines, light and heavy cavalry and missile troops, maybe with the odd skeletal monster or monstrous infantry/cavalry.
  • Likewise, zombies and necromancers becoming a true "plague of undeath" army  which resurrects slain foes but crumbles incredibly quickly when you kill off the sorcerers that bind it.

Order:

• Rather than a generic human faction, I'd like to see a true "free cities" faction combining the remains of the high/dark elves, dispossessed and free guilds. This could represent the diverse societies of the major cities of the mortal realms and give the most relatable faction. I'd like to see them with a relatively similar aesthetic to tie them in a bit more, with some new units featuring aelves and duardin with sigmarite iconography and a move away from the Empire aesthetic for humans. To my mind most dispossessed, freeguild and darkling coven minis would represent the regular and levy troops of a free city, with the Ironweld present and the Collegiate Arcane and Eldritch Council similarly combined into a single entity. The phoenix temple, lion rangers, orders draconis and serpentis etc could represent various orders tied to the cities.
  • Fleshed out swifthawks and corsairs. Shadowblades would fit into the former and dark riders into the latter. I'd love to see something like Warhawk riders make a comeback as a swifthawk unit, along with the ellyrian reavers minis. Corsairs would get a return of the bolt thrower and hopefully some new monsters to go with the beast masters theme.
  • Hysh and Ulgu aelves. Nuf said.
  • Devoted of Sigmar - Templar knights, hordes of flagellents and insane preachers. Yes please!
  • Wood elves were my first proper army, so I'd love to see Wanderers get some love, especially the return of Wardancers, which were pretty original by WFB standards. Emphasis on ambush and of course, shooting.

Destruction:

• Hobgoblin Mongols. Simply too cool a theme to let die. Massive emphasis on speed, maybe a new wolf chariot and definitely wolf riders on mounts as dynamic as the fenrisian wolves sculpts.
  • Greenskinz update - Go back to the "endless green horde" feeling to make them stand out from Ironjawz. 
  • Gargant army - similar idea to Imperial Knights in 40k - mostly allies but a very cool thematic faction. Maybe introduce a couple of characters.
  • Update Ironjawz - Shooty unit with giant crossbows that hit like a bolt thrower. 'Lieutenant' style character to go with the megaboss. Job done.
  • Troggoths - Return of Throgg. Very powerful but dim units that need babysitting to work reliably.
  • Gutbusters. Not sure here but I love the mini range and want them to have a home again.
  • Fimir - It's been seven editions. They deserve to finally get an army.

Chaos:

• Combine the undivided factions into a single battletome featuring Everchosen (fleshed out with a couple of new units but insanely elite) Slaves to Darkness (Chaos Warriors) and Darkoath Tribes (marauders)
  • Chaos Duardin - masters of industry who bind daemons to create terrible war machines. Mostly I just want to see the Forge World range given a proper AoS background.
  • Beastmen to return as the true children of chaos. Roll brayherds, monsters of chaos and warherds into one. Give gors some insane mutations and bring back centigors, bovigors and the god specific beastmen. I'd also love to see the Gavechild from Realms of Chaos make a comeback as a kind of prophet.
  • Hosts of Slaanesh - I can't wait to see what GW has in store for these guys, but ideally I'd love to see a more aelvan aesthetic as a nod to the old Cults of Slaanesh, combined with exploring some of the other areas of excess rather than just 'heh, ******.'
  • Skaven - a single battletome covering all four great clans and the warlord clans. Focusing on one clan gets you additional allegiance benefits. Perks include the ability to shoot into combat. Long range command abilities that allow your general to hide at the back and updates to the Eshin and Moulder ranges to bring them into line with Skyre and Pestillens. Ideally, new night/gutter runners, an eshin sorcerer, master moulder and new rat ogres, giant rats and rat swarms. Also, new skyre acolytes because those sculpts are crazily old.

Did I step back into Fantasy? I thought this was AoS. Most of those seem like they have already been done or been heavily part of Fantasy forever. I can't say I agree with much on this list. I want to break with the past as much as we possibly can. 

Archived