Where to go…?

phlp

Hey there,

i got some cheap death models:

• Mannfred, Mortarch of Night
  • 10 Skeletons
  • 5 Hexwraiths
  • 3 Spirithosts
  • 5 Hexwraiths/Blacknights (not built yet)

Right now i'm a bit confused about legal lists (last time i played AoS was right after End Times, when there was no point system) and where to go with my models.  First i was thinking about a Nighthaunt army with Deathrattle allys, but as i learned that is not possible (yet?). 

From the looks i'm not the biggest fan of Mannfred and the other Mortarchs, but i really like Zombiedragon, Morghast, Wight King and Necromancer. The other 'big' models like Mortis Engine/Bloodseeker Palaquin/Coven Throne are ooooookay – but i don't really fancy them. 

Is the best solution to go for Grand Host of Nagash list? Do i miss out on any super cool allegiance for not going pure Nighthaunt? Which allegiance should i choose for heavy skeleton battleline and some strong/big models like the Zombiedragon –– soulblight?

i'm kinda lost :(

Legions of Nagash is actually a collection of 4 different allegiances, each with their own unique rules. Based, on the rules we have for NH at present in the GHB, I find the Legion rules much more interesting and fun. They also let you use the entire undead range, except Tomb Kings and Ghoul stuff, in any way you want.

Nighthaunt will be getting a new very soon though, so things could change alot. However it has been confirmed that many of their new units will be usable in the Legions.

The big thing is that you will need a certain number of battleline units depending on game size (3 at 2,000 points). Although we might be getting more options when the NH book drops, at the moment we have Skeletons, Dire Wolves, and Zombies to fill that role in the Legions armies. In the Grand Host (1 of the 4), Grave Guard are also battleline. If Nagash is your general in a Grand Host, then Morghasts also count.

Spirit Hosts are NH battleline atm, but not sure what they will look like in the next month or so.

If you want lots of skeletons led by a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, Legions is most certainly the book you should be getting. Read through it, and pick which Legions rules you like best and roll with it. The last list I ran with as an example was a Legion of Night list that looked something like this:

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Swift Form
- Artefact: Shard of Night
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Great Wight Blades
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
Terrorgheist (300)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 140

i just got some other cheap models (green), in total i have access to the following models.

• 20 Skeletons
  • 10 Black Knights
  • 2 Wight King (both versions)
  • 1 Necromancer
  • 1 Mortis Engine
  • Mannfred
  • 10 Hexwraiths
  • 10 Skeletons
  • 3 Spirit hosts

for the start i'm thinking of a 1000pt list for legion of sacrament (using mannfred as arkhan), while playing mainly vs free people (or what ever the old empire is called) and stormcast:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament

LEADERS
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120) - General - Artefact : Wristbands of Black Gold
Necromancer (110) - Artefact : Shroud of Darkness - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread

UNITS
10 x Black Knights (240)
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160) -Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Ancient Blades

TOTAL: 1030/1000 WOUNDS: 71 LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2 ALLIES: 0 / 200

Besides the fact that i'm 30points over, is this a legal list? is it any good?

AverageBoss@  I planned to use almoste the exact same list. I don't have a therrorgheist, so i will be using vargheists and a vampire lord instead. Do you have any tips about this list?

If you bring a mortarch in Legion of Sacrament it has to be Arkhan and he must be the general. Wight kings are not in a great position atm, but that might be changed in the new edition

13 minutes ago, Tobjen99 said:

AverageBoss@  I planned to use almoste the exact same list. I don't have a therrorgheist, so i will be using vargheists and a vampire lord instead. Do you have any tips about this list?

If you bring a mortarch in Legion of Sacrament it has to be Arkhan and he must be the general. Wight kings are not in a great position atm, but that might be changed in the new edition

Vampire Lords are a solid option (especially going into 2nd edition where they will be able to use their command ability without being your general).

Vargheists I rate pretty poorly honestly. Lack of summonable keyword means they lose out on a ton of synergies in Legions. Hexwraiths are far better for the same points imo. They literally don't get a benefit from any Legion special rule other than the -1 bravery bubble Blood provides (where they also should have gotten an extra attack, but didn't...for reasons).

Legion of Night is probably the trickiest Legion to play. I only played it the once, and have not gotten an AoS game since, so the advice I can give is limited. The only thing I can say is that your best options for infiltrators are: Morghast Harbingers (long charge means they most likely will hit combat after showing up), Terrorghiest (ambush puts them right in scream range), and characters (to trigger unprotected backfield gravesites).

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Vampire Lords are a solid option (especially going into 2nd edition where they will be able to use their command ability without being your general).

Vargheists I rate pretty poorly honestly. Lack of summonable keyword means they lose out on a ton of synergies in Legions. Hexwraiths are far better for the same points imo. They literally don't get a benefit from any Legion special rule other than the -1 bravery bubble Blood provides (where they also should have gotten an extra attack, but didn't...for reasons).

Legion of Night is probably the trickiest Legion to play. I only played it the once, and have not gotten an AoS game since, so the advice I can give is limited. The only thing I can say is that your best options for infiltrators are: Morghast Harbingers (long charge means they most likely will hit combat after showing up), Terrorghiest (ambush puts them right in scream range), and characters (to trigger unprotected backfield gravesites).

I asked about Vargheists in an other thread and goot kinda the same answer: "They are good, but other hammer units do a better job in Legions of Nagash. Legion of Sacrament fits them at the board, but not if you think about lore. Legion of Night is their place lorevise, but Morghast Harbingers are much better on the tabletop."

Legion of Night is probably one off the harder legions to play, but i love their theam ambush. Grand Hoste of Nagash might be a better option for me (since i have only played 2 games so far with a Sacrament list i did not like). I think i will do Legion of Night anyways since they are so cool :) 

My plan was to ambush Vargheists, Morghats Harbingers and a Vampire Lord with Vile Transference while keeping my Grave Guard and Skeleton Warriors in the grave. On my first turn i would rise my Grave Guards and Skeleton Warriors as close as possible to the middle off the map (might depend on the objective) with my VLoZD. Necromancers are going to run after my skeleton hords and support them. Direwolfs are going to do other stuff, like holding a unit in place or grabbing objectives. 

I hope for a little Vargheist buff in Legion of Night in the GHB18. It would be awsome if they got a charge buff when they come out off ambush. It won't happen tho so kinda no need for that dream. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:51 PM, Tobjen99 said:

It would be awsome if they got a charge buff when they come out off ambush. I

One of the new standard command abilities is going to be reroll charges... upps, ambushing Unit is not on the field during hero phase.

Don’t know how to use the command points, maybe outside of the hero phase...

i've changed things a bit around, what do you guys think about this list:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
LEADERS
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General - Lore of the Dead : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages) Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact : Azyrbane Standard

UNITS
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Blades
5 x Hexwraiths (160)

BEHEMOTHS
Mortis Engine (180)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 66 LEADERS: 2/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2

Archived