Retributor Gold spray

syph0n

My son loves the Stormcast and I'm going to pick up 1k points worth for him. He's painting one at the minute, using white spray base then the golds etc. 

Is Retributor spray good value for money? The gold comes out nice over white which is cheaper. My experience from a long time ago was that  coloured sprays didn't paint as well or match their pot version very well. Are they better now? Suitable for immediate washing etc? 

I used to do a black primer with my stormcast, but it took quite a few layers of gold to really get the color, so I switched to the Retributor spray.   Here's a pic of the spray without any wash on it. I think it looks fairly close and typically just wash it from there. 

azyros.jpg

I’ve not had any problems with their new sprays and I’ve used several.  I like the Retributor Armor.  It covers well and is smooth.  However, I would still be cautious of the weather, especially humidity.

1 hour ago, christophe said:

My retributory spray doesn't cover properly. Is very dull... You should try a mournfang spray coat before the gold one (making it zenital to have some definition on the details maybe)

Sounds like you either have a defective can or are spraying in poor conditions. I think @Snoopdom had a problem with a duller can at GW replaced it.

@syph0n - Retributor Gold spray is amazing. I've had 3 cans of it and used it on Stormcast, Phoenix Guard, Custodes etc. I think its brilliant. Provides a fantastic basecoat that takes other washes and paints without issue. Really is worth the money.

17 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Sounds like you either have a defective can or are spraying in poor conditions. I think @Snoopdom had a problem with a duller can at GW replaced it.

@syph0n - Retributor Gold spray is amazing. I've had 3 cans of it and used it on Stormcast, Phoenix Guard, Custodes etc. I think its brilliant. Provides a fantastic basecoat that takes other washes and paints without issue. Really is worth the money.

Thanks @Chris Tomlin, I'm sold. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

You won't regret it.

The go to choices for washes straight over the top are Reikland Fleshade* or Druchii Violet. I think @Tom Hewitt recently mixed the two together which looked pretty great as well.

*Gloss or regular

I also use agrax earthshade gloss or regular over the retributor spray.  It's nice if you want a darker tone to it.  

We've been using Reikland on the model he's just completed. I think it might be worth me trying a bit of Druchii Violet and Agrax on his test model for the more shadowed recesses. I think my boy (he's only 7) will just stick to Reikland however.

I have gone through 3 cans of the Retributor Gold spray now, and although I always try to avoid particularly cold or windy weather to spray in, I find it always comes out no where near as brilliant as the paint. I also find the can doesn't last half as long as the Chaos black spray I've used in the past because of how much I end up respraying to try and get a decent coat. That being said, with the spray you only need 1 coat of the paint to get it looking great, so it's still a lot faster than basing with any other spray.

I happened to take a picture the other night for comparison, too. The left is sprayed, the right with 1 coat of paint.

KPs2jEA.jpg

For the colored sprays make sure that you’re doing the full rattlecan agitation cycle. The metallics benefit greatly from a good pigment agitation. (The white does as well, but is temperamental for other reasons.)

If you are excellent with your spray-can-kung-fu you probably won’t need this recommendation. But on the chance that you aren’t, I have experienced that merely shaking the can up and down doesn’t get a good mix for the sprays and leads to inconsistent results with the metallics.

Like in your small pots of paint, the metal flakes in the paint will often settle towards the bottom of the can so a longer agitation cycle tends to do wonders.

Holding the can by the top of the can spin the ball bearing in the bottom of the can around the outside edge. It’s a circular wrist motion. It will sound like the ballbearing is rolling around the outside edge of the bottom of the can. Continue this for a  good 1-2 minutes clockwise, followed by an identical spin of the ballbearing counterclockwise.

I then flip the can so I’m holding it by the bottom of the can and repeat the process.

That gets the paint particles well mixed and has given me really good overall results with my metallic GW sprays.

As is the same for regular spray cans, when doing the actual spraying I find that not spraying in direct sun keeps the application good.

Best wishes on your spraying with the colored metallic sprays :) 

With my Custodes, I’m using 3 parts Riekland and 1 part Nuln (both gloss).  I think it produces a nice shade.  I then drybrush with Sigmarite and give some Stormhost highlights.  Looks great and is super easy.  Good luck.

Archived