"Quick" question about setup

Chetote

Hi,

In my group we still have a doubt about setup, in step 3:

1. Players Roll off.

2. Loser picks a game board 

3. Winner picks another game board and places the overall map.

My doubt is: can the winner flip the board that loser picked when placing both boards, in step 3? Or does Loser pick one face of the board that cant be flipped in step 2?

I've been reading that the general consensus is that winner isn't able to flip loser's map, however I haven't found it explicitly said neither in the rulebook or FAQ, and I think the rulebook is ambiguous in this regard.

Thoughts? Answers?

He cannot flip it. The different sides are defined as different boards so you place your board (choosing from the two boards left over) next to the one already there (flipping it over would mean changing the board. Hope that helps. 

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

He cannot flip it. The different sides are defined as different boards so you place your board (choosing from the two boards left over) next to the one already there (flipping it over would mean changing the board. Hope that helps. 

Sorry, but I can't find where it is stated that each side is a game board... From the glossary definition, it only says that it is divided into hexes and that is reversible... Which, if I understood correctly, means both sides are only one game board.

Not trying to be picky, I just want to know where this is stated so I can explain to my group and leave no doubt.

Thanks for your answers!

1 minute ago, Chetote said:

Sorry, but I can't find where it is stated that each side is a game board... From the glossary definition, it only says that it is divided into hexes and that is reversible... Which, if I understood correctly, means both sides are only one game board.

Not trying to be picky, I just want to know where this is stated so I can explain to my group and leave no doubt.

Thanks for your answers!

I’ll get the rules later but for now.. because they do so on the games workshop twitch stream is likely not enough? ;) 

Ok so the rules text in question.

In this step, the players roll off (see above). The player who loses chooses a game board first. This can be any board from their collection. The player who won then chooses a game board, and places the two game boards so that the grid matches up, and so that there are at least three completed hexes connecting the boards long edge against long edge, or at least two completed hexes connecting the boards short edge against short edge.

The important point here is that you are not actually altering your opponents game board at all. You aren't touching it or moving it in any way. What you are actually doing is moving your board so that it connects with one of the edges of your opponents board in a legal manner.

In practice we turn the opponents board round so that it fits on the table and is convenient for both players. In the rules however you are NOT altering your opponents board.

So no you can't flip your opponents board, technically you aren't even allowed to rotate it or move it at all.

EDIT: The most up to date rules from GW https://warhammerunderworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/04/Warhammer_Underworlds_Shadespire_Rulebook_ENG.pdf

On 5/23/2018 at 2:25 PM, Chetote said:

Hi,

In my group we still have a doubt about setup, in step 3:

1. Players Roll off.

2. Loser picks a game board 

3. Winner picks another game board and places the overall map.

My doubt is: can the winner flip the board that loser picked when placing both boards, in step 3? Or does Loser pick one face of the board that cant be flipped in step 2?

I've been reading that the general consensus is that winner isn't able to flip loser's map, however I haven't found it explicitly said neither in the rulebook or FAQ, and I think the rulebook is ambiguous in this regard.

Thoughts? Answers?

My thoughts are to find a new group. I wouldn't want to play with anyone that thought flipping a board is in the spirit of the game or the intention of the rules.

Archived