New death army: Help needed to Build units

GeneralZero

Building time! I mean that I have to actually build the miniatures.

I just recived the boxes. I already made some long investigations about the units. But I can't really decide, because my point of view is to build some unit that I'll keep and use for a lonnnnnng time (Imagine that I'm a returning player who started in 80' and 90'....and I want to keep them for the next 30 y)

This topic is also to help new death players to decide how to build their minis as they have no clues in their new army. I'll regroup in this first page what I call the "general consensus"  for each unit. The idea is to use those units in many builds and enjoy the game in many ways. The problem is that many units aren't magnetizable (ex: skeletons, so tiny bits) and/or expensive (in real money)

Lets start:

Skeletons warriors: in short, 2 builds: swords or spears.  I have 40 of them. I want to do them all the same. What is the most used build? I use to be an offensive player. I'm enclined to sword but the spear is visualy more appealing... What is the best option?

Grave Guards: got 20. what weapon? offensive 2W or a bit more defensive with shield ?

Black knights: 10 of them . I'll try to find a way to make them  all availlable with hex or BK.

Mortarch : got 2. which ones?

Morghasts: got 4. I'll magnetize (try) the weapons. But which ones: harbingers or archai? (more charge 3D6 or tankier? )

One unit of 40 spear Skeletons is regarded as the optimal build for them.

I think great wight blades are better for Grave Guard.

I'm trying to magnetize the armored legs of my Black Knights with the torso glued to one half of the legs so they can magnetize on top of the horse. Then I can pull them off and hook Hexwraiths to the horses via the pins sticking up from the horses' backs. There might be a better way to magnetize so I'll keep playing around with ideas.

You can magnetize the Mortarch rider and the dread abyssal head so you can swap between all three. Since you've got two already, I would suggest painting one skeletal like Arkhan's or Neferata's dread abyssal, then painting the other the more black bat scheme like Mannfred's. You can still magnetize the riders and heads so you can switch between a dark skeleton or a lighter bat just for fun. Either way, magnetizing at least one Mortarch to have access to all three is a good idea.

I think you can magnetize the Morghast heads so you can switch between Archai or Harbingers fairly easy. I haven't tried that, but I've seen it mentioned other places. Personally, I like the Archai better, but that's because I'm building a First Cohort list and they work better staying close to Nagash as his bodyguard than they do running up the field into combat.

About skeletons if you are thinking aout playing them in big unis I suggest you use spears. The skeletons are not suitable to magnetize the weapons.

Grave guard, I'd suggest you the axes, but it would be better if you wait the releasing of the new edition and GH2018 to decide for sure. Anyway it's easy to modify normal skeletons in Grae Guards so the Grave guards models are better suited with the axes I'd say.

About mortarchs you can magnetize them, you can see here:

instead about the morghasts for the weapons you can see here

the front t's not a problem to magnetize if you are worried about that, you can simply put a 2mmX1mm  magnet in the plate (inner part) and a 2x2 mm one in the model so that you can change che plate. The middle of the plate itself it's good about it cause has the space to put them comfortably. About th e shoulders there are not problems if you pay attention in the buinding phase, they don't have to have necessarily the same position as in the sketched.

A bout the head it's a bit more problematic, but anyway solvable. If you don't think it's a mess you can use temporarily a bit of patafix, or you can pur a little piece of metal in the bottom part of the helmet and magnets in the head of the morghasts and cover it then with a bit of green staff to hide it.

I really have to realize the second part of suchmodifying process^^

Archived