Tomb Kings?!!

HiveFleetCerberus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see.  Id kind of prefer not settra, i want tomb kings back, but in a form that would work for rather than against nagash.  But, again, we'll see.  Screaming skull catapults also seem to be referenced here, which is... promising.

Then again, it could be referencing a warhammer legends ruleset for tomb kings, which would basically amount to support with them you know, /support/ part.

The king they're talking about is definitely Nagash, I'm more interested by the first figure he see's it could be the mortarch of grief which might hint at them being khalida. I really doubt we'll see Settra return but I would love it if deathrattle moves closer to tomb kings from an army perspective.

1 hour ago, Moonlightwolf said:

The king they're talking about is definitely Nagash, I'm more interested by the first figure he see's it could be the mortarch of grief which might hint at them being khalida. I really doubt we'll see Settra return but I would love it if deathrattle moves closer to tomb kings from an army perspective.

Deathrattle is most likely going to be lead by Krell. They mention a lord of despair who rules the rime frozen helspoint 

oh, i hope not.  Krell's boring without kemmler, aeguably was boring even before that, and far more importantly, we desperately need important named death heroes actually tied to the current setting.

Tamra for deathrattle mortarch 2018

5 hours ago, Sception said:

We'll see.  Id kind of prefer not settra, i want tomb kings back, but in a form that would work for rather than against nagash.  But, again, we'll see.  Screaming skull catapults also seem to be referenced here, which is... promising.

Then again, it could be referencing a warhammer legends ruleset for tomb kings, which would basically amount to support with them you know, /support/ part.

I agree, I prefer Khalida style undead that aren't evil to Settra's boring: "I'm super evil and want infinite power" mantra.

However, if the choice is Settra TKs or no TKs, I choose Settra x1000 ;) 

For my money, charriots and sphynxes were the coolest thing about tomb kings, and khalida they're coolest character.  Settra always felt a little flat to me, and with Nehekhara long gone, I'm not sure what there would even be to do with him.

12 minutes ago, Sception said:

charriots and sphynxes were the coolest thing about tomb kings

Oh, the Necropolis Knights, Warsphinx, and necrosphinx were the models that I thought were darn cool ... the bone Giant was up there as well ... 

A renegade death force fighting Nagash would be awesome poetic justice.

4 hours ago, Sception said:

Well, i mean, when it came to death or serving Nagash, Settra chose the former and Khalida the latter.  Arguably that makes Khalida more evil.

That's not necessarily true.  It is entirely plausible that Khalida chose to serve with the intention of trying to steer Nagash towards being more neutral or with the goal of betraying him in the future. Remember that after she agreed to serve Nagash she allowed mortal refugees protection and shelter within her fortress. Even at the end, Khalida was looking to protect and do good. She isn't nice in the sense of many forces for good, but she was always a force that was looking to do good.

Plus her animosity with Nef makes her an excellent counter force in Death which can create a ton of intrigue and narrative.

There is so much potential in her return imo. 

Without the constructs the Tomb King models are basically just what we already have.

For them to come back in any form would require some kind of construct units like the knights and animated statues.  I suppose chariots were a big thing also.

Seems to me the Morghasts took the space of the animated statues in flavor and niche. I dunno, I agree with Sception that we don't need to keep resurrecting old world characters.  That said, Khalida would get my vote if we did get an old worlder back to lead a 'tomb kings' oriented mini-faction.

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

Without the constructs the Tomb King models are basically just what we already have.

For them to come back in any form would require some kind of construct units like the knights and animated statues.  I suppose chariots were a big thing also.

Seems to me the Morghasts took the space of the animated statues in flavor and niche. I dunno, I agree with Sception that we don't need to keep resurrecting old world characters.  That said, Khalida would get my vote if we did get an old worlder back to lead a 'tomb kings' oriented mini-faction.

Fair, though, I feel like making the skeletons more thematically "Tomb Kings" could also differentiate them. In the past TK skeletons were basically just an upgrade sprue to the Vamp Counts skeletons leading to a situation where they felt very similar. If they were to go with a full separate army of Tomb Kings then the TK skeletons could have a radically different art style in the same way that say Fyreslayers and Overlords are both dwarfs but are still quite distinct in every other sense. Another option could be to also bring in more mummys as actual warriors. Could simply come up with some fluff saying a queen/king's army was mummified with him or her to join them in the afterlife but perhaps the soldier's mummification wasn't done nearly as carefully and thus the backbone of a TK army is a sort of zombie/mummy hybrid adorned in golden armor.  There are so many options for bringing TKs back in a way that they would be a very distinct death faction. 

And I agree that, for the most part, resurrecting old world heroes isn't ideal, however, I feel death is an exception to that rule by their very nature. Given Khalida's history with Nef and her rank as a mortarch of Nagash I feel that she is one of few old world characters it actually makes sense within the scope of the lore to bring back.

7 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Oh, the Necropolis Knights, Warsphinx, and necrosphinx were the models that I thought were darn cool ... the bone Giant was up there as well ... 

A renegade death force fighting Nagash would be awesome poetic justice.

You liked the bone giant? I thought that was a terrible model. Looked like an oversized skeletal Carmen Miranda.

4 hours ago, themortalgod said:

She isn't nice in the sense of many forces for good,

Like the shiny force of righteousness that the GA: Order has become #Ineedtoharvestyoursoulformybabys

but I was lectured, that order in terms of lawful does not imply morality (good) and chaotic does not mean evil. Thx D&D  ? 

All in all i would love to see the diversity of other ga mirrored in death, please with some kind of working allying system, not the restrictive hot mess we have now.

One point I don't understand is why it must "Tomb Kings" implemented in a forcefully way? Why do we have this stiffening on Egyptian Skeletons. Why not simple expanding the Deathrattle Faction.

We already have similar units (even if they aren't identical in rules).

Tomb King = Wight King

Skeletal Legionaires = Skeleton Warriors

Tomb Guard = Grave Guard

Skeleton Horsemen = Black Knights

Give them Chariots, Archers, Horse Archers, a sort of Priest/Mage and the Catapult and we will have a more complete Deathrattle Army (that people can call a "Crimson Dynasty" if they want).

Perhaps there could be a construct List, too (like Monsters of Chaos).

5 hours ago, Screwface said:

You liked the bone giant? I thought that was a terrible model. Looked like an oversized skeletal Carmen Miranda.

Wait ... you don’t like Carmen Miranda?! 

(The key to the model was not giving it the skeleton hat .... :) )

10 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Fair, though, I feel like making the skeletons more thematically "Tomb Kings" could also differentiate them. In the past TK skeletons were basically just an upgrade sprue to the Vamp Counts skeletons leading to a situation where they felt very similar. If they were to go with a full separate army of Tomb Kings then the TK skeletons could have a radically different art style in the same way that say Fyreslayers and Overlords are both dwarfs but are still quite distinct in every other sense. Another option could be to also bring in more mummys as actual warriors. Could simply come up with some fluff saying a queen/king's army was mummified with him or her to join them in the afterlife but perhaps the soldier's mummification wasn't done nearly as carefully and thus the backbone of a TK army is a sort of zombie/mummy hybrid adorned in golden armor.  There are so many options for bringing TKs back in a way that they would be a very distinct death faction. 

And I agree that, for the most part, resurrecting old world heroes isn't ideal, however, I feel death is an exception to that rule by their very nature. Given Khalida's history with Nef and her rank as a mortarch of Nagash I feel that she is one of few old world characters it actually makes sense within the scope of the lore to bring back.

Yes but that is the point.  Other than aesthetics the Tomb Kings were just more skeleton men if you pulled out the chariots and war constructs.

Like stated above by EMMachine above, it would be much more interesting to see the Deathrattle expanded with what were previously tomb king units.  The Tomb Kings themselves were extremely anti-Nagash if you recall, so I am not sure how they would fit into the death faction.  If we were to see a true to form return of Tomb Kings... it would make way more sense for them to return as an Order faction.

However, why?  A couple old world tomb king heroes serving Nagash hesitantly is far more interesting than trying to just bring back Settra's army.

If you are like me and just loved the Egyptian theme, then perhaps some upgrade sprues of Egyptian themed equipment to mix with current units would be a much simpler solution.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Tomb Kings fan... but they are dead in the lore for so many reasons, which I am sure is why they are dead in the rules as well.

7 minutes ago, Nevar said:

The Tomb Kings themselves were extremely anti-Nagash

You mean like Manfred saving the day in the old world, totally having Nagash six all the time rotflol #backstab

buuuut, I would like to have a  fourth army in the GA... and with Legions, FEC, Nighthaunt (skellis,ghouls,ghost) the  mummie slot is still open. Not sure what else would by sufficiently undead...

?! lycans ?! That would definitely be crazy

Archived