Battle Report; Stormcast vs Nagash

Agent of Chaos

Sometimes you arrange a 2000 point casual game in your local GW and someone brings Nagash, Arkhan & 2 x Morghast…

To be fair I had tailored a Khorne army to smack around his Tzeentch army last time we met so all is fair in love and war ?

At first I was dismayed as I only had a fairly run of the mill Stormcast force, using the hammerstrike battalion but with very little in the way of unbinding/mortal wound protection and was clueless as to how I would take down Nagash let alone his friends.

However AOS is first and foremost an objective game which means on your day anyone has a chance if they play to the scenario.

We used Open War cards and the scenario was to burn the 3 objectives in your opponent’s half for the win.

Given the objectives only needed to be destroyed at the end of your turn if they were uncontested and not held, this meant Scions of the Storm had the potential to be decisive so I was not without hope.

With this in mind I placed both units of liberators in the sky together with the prosecutors and of course the 2 units of retributors from the battalion.

On the table went both units of Judicators, one on either flank, along with the Vanguard Raptors and all 4 heroes.

Nagash stood proud front and centre with Arkhan on his right and the Morghast on his left, assorted units of skeletons and grave guard sitting behind on the objectives or awaiting their time in the grave.

I won initiative and gave Death the first turn. This proved a good move as offensive spells were out of range and I needed a double turn somewhere if I was to be any chance.

Nagash came strolling forward, quite rightly without a care in the world, as did Arkhan and the Morghast.

My heroes put out their buffs and then it was onto movement.

I’ve had games where units have stayed in the clouds until turn 4 or 5 and been next to useless however this was a game where I would have killed to have a until come down late onto an objective.

Of course both liberators and the prosecutors all passed their roles and came down straight away… sigh…

I sent some liberators to the far left corner and used the other unit to screen my judicators on the left, supported by the Lord Castellant and Celestant on foot.

The Judicators on the left shot at Arkhan and did a couple of wounds.

Seeing as the prosecutors came down I figured I would go all in with the hammerstrike on Nagash, although I held back the Celestant on Dracoth figuring I needed him alive as long as possible.

After being shot by Judicators and Raptors, missed with the Dracoth breath (as I would all game) and forgetting to shoot with the prosecutors (my bad), and being hit by the first super charged retributor unit, Nagash had taken 8 wounds… just 8 more to go ?

Nagash struck back and wiped the second unit of retributors before they could swing and there the combat ended.

Death started round 2 where Nagash proceeded to cast spell after spell with glee, healing wounds and nerfing my forces along the way.

I did have the spellshield for unbinding but with +3 to casting rolls I think his lowest roll was 11… sigh…

Then in combat something unexpected… Nagash retreated (that’s good) But the Morghast charged the Retributors instead (that’s bad).

Arkhan also withdrew and charged the Liberators who had dropped into the Death territory while a unit of grave guard hit them from the other side.

The Morghast wiffed and only killed a single Retributor, taking 5 wounds in return, while only a single Liberator fell to Arkhan (allowing him to heal the wounds caused earlier) and the grave guard.

My turn 2 and my shooting and retributors made short work of the Morghast (they’re not so tough) while my liberators and judicators on the left continued their advance down the flank.

The Liberators in combat with Arkhan and the grave guard again stood tall, losing another member but holding strong.

It was here that I won initiative for a crucial double turn heading into round 3.

The Celestant on Dracoth and Prosecutors charged the skeletons sitting on the right hand objective while the retributors stupidly charged Nagash.

In hindsight I should have just used the retributors to screen the objective from Nagash as they died horribly in melee as the previous unit had.

The liberators on the left continued to hold off Arkhan while I successfully cleared the skeletons off the objective and burned it at the end of my turn to take the lead.

At the bottom of round 3, Nagash did his spells, then charged and killed the Celestant on Dracoth while another unit of grave guard accounted for the prosecutors.

Arkhan finally moved away from combat with the liberators back to the centre with a view to start heading towards the objectives in my territory.

I won initiative turn 4 and sent the remaining unit of liberators into combat with the grave guard on the left while the Judicators pulled back to block Arkhan’s path to the objective.

At the bottom of turn 4 Nagash moved back towards the right flank however it was clear that he wouldn’t be able to reach my 2 objectives in the right corner.

Arkhan charged and killed the Judicators on the left and now had a clear line to the objective, guarded by a single Gryphhound.

Not much for me to do in round 5, killed some graveguard and attempted to retreat the lord castellant onto an unmarked objective but he fell several inches short.

Had he made it I would have burned it for an unassailable lead.

Remember how I said it would have been nice to have a unit come down from Scions at this point? Our allegiance ability seriously sucks…

In the final turn Arkhan made his charge on the poor gryphhound, burned the objective and we came away with a draw!

The primary lesson out of this was always play the scenario!

My opponent was guilty of chasing after my units in his backfield and losing site of my objectives until it was almost too late.

Nagash is killable however I really struggle to see what Stormcast could bring that would do enough damage, and if you don’t take him out he has so many options for healing up wounds.

The constantly returning skeletons and graveguard are a pain but they don’t really do much.

Overall an enjoyable game and at least I can say I fought Nagash and lived… mostly…

20180520_123747.jpg

20180520_123757.jpg

20180520_123837.jpg

20180520_123845.jpg

You're not wrong and that was definitely my plan but dam he is tough. If the second unit of Judicators were in range, if I had remembered to shoot with the Prosecutors, If the Dracoth's breath had hit and if the second unit of Retributors got to swing before being killed, maybe and only maybe then would I have caused the remaining 8 wounds needed to kill him... maybe.... ?

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

You're not wrong and that was definitely my plan but dam he is tough. If the second unit of Judicators were in range, if I had remembered to shoot with the Prosecutors, If the Dracoth's breath had hit and if the second unit of Retributors got to swing before being killed, maybe and only maybe then would I have caused the remaining 8 wounds needed to kill him... maybe.... ?

The other option is to completely ignore him except to feed him a unit per turn as a speedbump. 

Archived