Handful of questions (Phoenixes, Khorne and DOK)

Azamar

Question

A few questions arose in a recent game- 

1. Does the Phoenix’s attuned to magic ability stack? The wording seems to suggest it does (“if a wizard” rather than “if any wizards”)

2. Does the wrathmonger’s crimson haze stack for each model in the unit that’s within 3”? Again, wording seems to suggest it does. 

3. For the daughters of khaine spell mind razor, (or other abilities such as banshee screams) do bonuses (both positive and negative) that affect bravery affect the extra damage of the spell? Obviously extra bravery from 10+ models doesn’t apply as that specifies it’s in the battleshock phase, but would darkling coven banners count for example?

4. I’ve asked here before but didn’t get any replies at all- for a flamespyre Phoenix’s wake of fire ability, does the model have to completely move over the target unit, or can they just be clipped to activate the effect? 

Thanks! 

5 answers to this question

1. Yes.

2. Not for multiple wrathmonger models within the same unit. The qualifier "within 3" of a wrathmonger" is a yes or no question, not a how many question.

3. If the ability modifies the bravery statistic then yes. If it is a penalty (or bonus) to battleshock rolls, then no.

4. If your base gets above another base during movement, then you have flown over them.

33 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

2. Not for multiple wrathmonger models within the same unit. The qualifier "within 3" of a wrathmonger" is a yes or no question, not a how many question. Two units of wrathmongers would stack, though.

Multiple units of Wrathmongers still don’t stack. The question is still “are you within 3 inches of a Wrathmonger?” It’s still a binary yes/no check. 

8 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

Multiple units of Wrathmongers still don’t stack. The question is still “are you within 3 inches of a Wrathmonger?” It’s still a binary yes/no check. 

Oops, I was still in mtg rules mode on this one where two instances would each check and apply.

Edited.

15 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

3. If the ability modifies the bravery statistic then yes. If it is a penalty (or bonus) to battleshock rolls, then no.

Thanks for your reply. To expand on 3, should you only apply bonuses that specifically say they affect the bravery characteristic? Or any bonus that isn’t battle shock phase only? 

To use the example we had, a unit of unit of blood sisters (bravery 7)near an avatar (+1 bravery to bravery *characteristic* with mind razor. They were fighting a unit of Phoenix guard (bravery 7) with a banner (+1 bravery for all models in the unit) 

It’s pretty clear that the blood sisters count the bonus from the avatar, as it specifies characteristic in the bonus, but should the banner count for the Phoenix guard, as there’s no mention of the characteristic itself being boosted. 

My feeling is that it’s probably just a difference between old and newer warscrolls, as deepkin warscrolls say they buff the bravery *characteristic* as well. Just wondered if there was a consensus on this?  

4 hours ago, Azamar said:

Thanks for your reply. To expand on 3, should you only apply bonuses that specifically say they affect the bravery characteristic? Or any bonus that isn’t battle shock phase only? 

To use the example we had, a unit of unit of blood sisters (bravery 7)near an avatar (+1 bravery to bravery *characteristic* with mind razor. They were fighting a unit of Phoenix guard (bravery 7) with a banner (+1 bravery for all models in the unit) 

It’s pretty clear that the blood sisters count the bonus from the avatar, as it specifies characteristic in the bonus, but should the banner count for the Phoenix guard, as there’s no mention of the characteristic itself being boosted. 

My feeling is that it’s probably just a difference between old and newer warscrolls, as deepkin warscrolls say they buff the bravery *characteristic* as well. Just wondered if there was a consensus on this?  

I think your feeling is quite right, here. Considering +1 to bravery and +1 to bravery characteristic synonymous is safe. Perhaps it's old warscroll vs new, or perhaps they say bravery if it's on the same warscroll as the units getting buffed and bravery characteristic if it's affecting something else. Either way I think it's fine.

Archived