The Sultan's Fleet

2 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Looks fantastic as a faction, undead with some character and personality along with more questionable motives 

With a quick look over the scroll it oooks very characterful but I’d be concerned he’d need to be massively costly in order to justify damage output and spells.

at two spells and a maximum ranges damage of 20 per turn he’s sitting easily mid 200-300 points to my eye not taking in to account the ability to make a hero a wizard.

on that last note you need to specify how many spells said hero can cast (does it match the Jann.

Just saw this post as I am eating suhoor, and have made the following adjustments. Thank you for your insights!jann.jpg.221ec7e1dca459652f18238a8b3586a7.jpgI now realize I forgot to add the description, I will edit this at a more acceptable hour.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks looking at the men o bones is there a lore reason why they are such competent fighters? They’re better than skeletons and on par with liberators. If it’s lore justified it’s fine (it’s counter balanced by no save so mechanically it’s also worked) you could work in a D3 reinforcement if within range of those deepkin ethervortex ships. The broken and sunk ship theme fits your concept perfectly 

The main reasoning so far is that these skeletons are those of sailors and pirates who died at sea, unlike most sailors however these were the most deadly and bloodthirsty of the lot . think of them as more like the grave guard in terms of skill, with the drowned being the more basic battle line unit.

Now for a bit of Lore regarding the main infantry, The Drowned.

The Seas of the Mortal Realms are full of perils, it is not an uncommon fate for a sailor to lose his footing and fall overboard during rough storms. These poor souls used to go the underworld known as the Green Sea, a mariners paradise where endless adventure awaits. This was before The Golden Magus returned and offered his loyalty to Nagash. Now all souls of seafarers recently taken by the seas become part of the Drowned, serving as crewmen for the Magus's fleets for all eternity.the-drowned.jpg.ab39fccb52e95256619be5a865f49289.jpg 

I don’t understand corpse fluid, since you pick where the models are removed from its illogical to pile in (I remove man from back of unit yet so some reason gain 3 inch move off the front model?). If I’m reading the scroll right it’s 3 attacks per model between two weapons plus an additional attack for leaders companion?)

Also bear in mind a 5 up save implies armour of some kind (I believe it’s the same as freeguild guard save). What price point were you looking for these models since model by model they’re flat better than zombies.

I had wanted black fluid to be a way to stop models from retreating. And I realize that the armor and Newly dead make them to OP for this army. I will make the changes during my lunch period.  Thank you for the feedback, do you have any ideas for units or lore? I’m playing with the idea of the magus being an admiral and having subordinate captains(subfactions). And once again thank you Melcavuk, I greatly respect your stuff.

I believe being a second faction to claim the etheric vortex as a terrain piece would make this faction a great foil against Idoneth. Undead pirates fighting sea Aelves etc. Make them your grave site equivalent. 

You could also build the ship as a whole and use it as a war machine for the force, a crewed pirate ship potentially reinforcing nearby drowned units

19 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I believe being a second faction to claim the etheric vortex as a terrain piece would make this faction a great foil against Idoneth. Undead pirates fighting sea Aelves etc. Make them your grave site equivalent. 

You could also build the ship as a whole and use it as a war machine for the force, a crewed pirate ship potentially reinforcing nearby drowned units

I love the idea of the Heldenhammer being used against the Stormcast, the irony would be quite pleasing to Nagash. Scenery is a problem though, part of me wants to use the idea that the Graveyard leaks throughout the realms creating "Ghost Isles" as well as the corpse coral mentioned in the game and Novella; but how would it work? I don't want to just rip off the Ethersea, anyone have any Ideas on how to solve this?

Finally Some Spells!

LORE OF THE DEAD OCEAN

1. Dead Tide- on a 8 and up, units 18" in front of the caster are swept up in a tide of souls, friendly models heal d3,enmy models suffer d3 mortal wounds.

2.Gibbering Madness- on a 11 and up select an enemy unit 10" from caster, if successfully cast that unit must immediately take a battle shock test.

3.Chilling Blaze- on a  7 and up, select one enemy unit 12" from caster, if successful that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds and a permanent -1 on save throws.

4. Fog of Shades- 6 and up, pick an enemy ranged unit, that unit must halve the range of their attack for 1 round.

5. Ever Shifting Realm- on a 8 and up, pick one piece of scenery on the board, all units can pass through it as if they had the Ethereal rule for one round.

6. Snatching Claws- on a 10 and up, select one piece of corpse corral, It begins to lash out as if the bodies holding it together are trying to escape, all units within 3" of the corral cannot run or charge for one round.

9 minutes ago, BadgerBuddha said:

Well, I do have this I cooked up, seeing as he's a Sultan and all. I figure bringing these back from the Old World but updated would be neat:

clockwork-thundertusk.jpg

I LOVE IT! Are the Blackwater Janissaries the sultans ogre and mortal crew? You might have gone a bit overboard with the Mortal wound generation though. I guess we should now focus on heroes and elites.

33 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Finally Some Spells!

LORE OF THE DEAD OCEAN

1. Dead Tide- on a 8 and up, units 18" in front of the caster are swept up in a tide of souls, friendly models heal d3,enmy models suffer d3 mortal wounds.

2.Gibbering Madness- on a 11 and up select an enemy unit 10" from caster, if successfully cast that unit must immediately take a battle shock test.

3.Chilling Blaze- on a  7 and up, select one enemy unit 12" from caster, if successful that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds and a permanent -1 on save throws.

4. Fog of Shades- 6 and up, pick an enemy ranged unit, that unit must halve the range of their attack for 1 round.

5. Ever Shifting Realm- on a 8 and up, pick one piece of scenery on the board, all units can pass through it as if they had the Ethereal rule for one round.

6. Snatching Claws- on a 10 and up, select one piece of corpse corral, It begins to lash out as if the bodies holding it together are trying to escape, all units within 3" of the corral cannot run or charge for one round.

Ok. Breaking this down, these are just my insights so feel free to ignore. Most are just trying to get wording clear or uniform to how it’s usually presented,:

1) with units having no fixed facing what qualifies as 18 inches in Front? Direct line, 90 degree arc, 180 degree a4c. Is it exactly 18 inches or up to 18. At its massive area of effect and damage and no fixed target I’d put this 10 casting minimum since with the right positioning could heal all your force and hit all enemy force.

2) Would lower cast value to 5, any unit of bravery 6 up is immune to this because you can force a battleshock test but given that this is your hero phase odds are they lost no models so can’t fail on bravery 6.

3) Permenant stat changes are worrisome for me, would move it until your next hero phase. And rename it as a curse to explain why save lowers “Curse of the Chill Blaze”

4) shooting attacks or close combat or all? Again just for booking keeping change round to “Until your next hero phase” and I’d suggest this for all instances you’ve used round. It’s easier to understand,

5) again I’d drop it to a 6 casting, its a  Utility spell but not a game changer,

6) I’m not a fan of flat blocking charging but that said he high cast value makes it balanced,

18 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

1) with units having no fixed facing what qualifies as 18 inches in Front? Direct line, 90 degree arc, 180 degree a4c. Is it exactly 18 inches or up to 18. At its massive area of effect and damage and no fixed target I’d put this 10 casting minimum since with the right positioning could heal all your force and hit all enemy force.

1)Line of sight

2) agreed, I had this weird OCD like moment with even numbers

3) That is a much better name, I'll put it to the end of the combat phase instead, because thats were save rolls truly matter in my opinion.

4) Shooting, I find that shooting attacks are the bane of all undead armies barring tomb kings, and your right hero phase is better for avoiding trolls.

5) no arguments here, I had planned to make the scenery a bit more monumental, with models dying near them(3" just enough to pile in) creating an AOE of some kind.

6) I'll change it to only being able to move half of the roll(rounding down in cases of uneven numbers).

1 hour ago, TheR00zle said:

I LOVE IT! Are the Blackwater Janissaries the sultans ogre and mortal crew? You might have gone a bit overboard with the Mortal wound generation though. I guess we should now focus on heroes and elites.

The mortal wound generation is ported directly from the actual warscroll for the thundertusk. I only changed the movement degen. 

I figure in the fluff for the Golden Magus, he has body guards, so I figure real life sultans had Janissaries as body guards, figured "Blackwater" was a good aquatic evil name. I imagine them as mostly being human but there's nothing stopping there being a "Janissary Bruiser" unit of Ogors. I figure the Janissaries would be the elite of the elite of the fleet, and be actual mortals even.

2 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Love the concept.

I have always liked the mystique of Araby lore and have mode some models in the past. Am always looking for ways to come up with count as rules, but nothing in AoS quite captures what Araby could have been.

looking forward to more

Do you have any flying carpets? I have always wanted to see pictures of them!

1 minute ago, TheR00zle said:

I do! I got very time invested in my conversions and then the end times happened lol. So things went into a holding pattern until recently..

Ill shoot you some pictures when I can dredge up the images.

consider giving the Jann ethereal daemon or cosmic? Based on aos things I always imagined a djinn as something akin to a slann/ skink, daemon prince, having the ethereal quality or something like a celestant prime

8 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

I do! I got very time invested in my conversions and then the end times happened lol. So things went into a holding pattern until recently..

consider giving the Jann ethereal daemon or cosmic? Based on aos things I always imagined a djinn as something akin to a slann/ skink, daemon prince, having the ethereal quality or something like a celestant prime

21 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I gave the Jann the Ethereal ability, well they could be daemonic, traditionally Djinn are their own separate race, like men. The plan lore wise is to say that in the World That Was they were wrongfully imprisoned in urns and have grown a little bit insane from isolation in some cases.

Archived