Great Unclean One 1000 points

Murphy

I’m looking to start a Maggotkin army for an upcoming 1000 point event I am going to. My question is would it be a good idea to take the Great Unclean One in 1000 points or would I be best trying something different 

He's basically a third of your list and isn't especially good in melee. He's fine but for sure not a dedicated melee monster. But he's also a wizard and has a ranged attack and the bell is one of the best utility tools Nurgle has access to. 

Its ok to run him in 1k point games. If you wanna be fluffy you can run him, three Plague Drones and 30 Plaguebearers. Grandfathers Joy command ability let's PBs get kinda killy with 2 attacks per model or you can all in the drones stacking it with the extra attacks they already get from being with 7" of a Nurgle Demon Hero. 

If you want to be more competitive you can effectively run clan pestilensby taking 80 plague monks and use the GUO for inspiring presence and movement. Then just min out battle line or hell, run pestilens and ally in the GUO unless the ally points are different in lower point value games. 

TL;DR GUO works fine in 1k games. Just know what your bringing him for :)

This is good news indeed, I did have another list in the wings if he wasn't going to be workable.

Lord of Affliction

30 Plaguebearers

5 Blight Kings

3 Plague Drones

3 Nurglings

But I would much rather bring the big GUO so thanks for some tips on making that work

10 hours ago, Scrags said:

Then just min out battle line or hell, run pestilens and ally in the GUO unless the ally points are different in lower point value games. 

General handbook limits allies on 200pt for 1K lists. So unless otherwise specified it won't be possible. 

LEADERS

Great Unclean One (340)

- General

- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing

- Artefact : The Endless Gift

- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

UNITS

40 x Plague Monks (240)

-Foetid Blades

- Contagion Banner

- Bale-chimes

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

10 x Plaguebearers (120)

WAR MACHINES

Plagueclaw (180)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 82

LEADERS: 1/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2

ALLIES: 0 / 200

How does that look? GUO and 40 monks to go get some names, Plaguebearers to hang back on objectives and a Plagueclaw to reach out and touch people

LEADERS

Great Unclean One (340)

- General

- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing

- Artefact : Tome of a Thousand Poxes

- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

UNITS

5 x Chaos Warriors (90)

-Hand Weapon & Shield

- Mark of Chaos : Nurgle

5 x Chaos Warriors (90)

-Hand Weapon & Shield

- Mark of Chaos : Nurgle

40 x Plague Monks (240)

-Foetid Blades

- Contagion Banner

- Bale-chimes

40 x Plague Monks (240)

-Foetid Blades

- Icon of Pestilence

- Doom Gongs

Or this one but I feel its too much Monk

Hehehe yeah it's funny but technically the second list is more competitive. Plague claw catapults are kinda meh imho. 180 points for 1 attack even at 3+/3+ is too big a risk for me personally but hey, if you feel you need the range or just roll we'll go for it! 

Remeber to inspiring presence the rats every turn so you don't lose too many of them :) 

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

General handbook limits allies on 200pt for 1K lists. So unless otherwise specified it won't be possible. 

Ah yeah I figured that might be the case. Thanks for confirming! :)

3 hours ago, robotnik_taco said:

The monks are great, but would be next level with something that can drop blades of putrefaction on them. A Sorcerer is 120, find a place sir!

It's true, I've been running BoP Monks a lot recently and shredding with them :P Festus is my personal favorite cheap BoP delivery method at the moment. Similar stats to a stock Rotbringers Sorcerer but with an AMAZING unique spell and good healing via his self heal and the d3 healing/damage brews. I think its worth it for like 20 more points :)

So the next question is x2 Fetid Blades or Blade & Staff. I know Blade and Staff nets you more attacks but I love the 4+ to hit and re-rolls personally.

Final List After Much internal Debate on the too many Monks front

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 96

Plaguebearers act as a home base Objective Camper as they have the negative to be hit bonus in large numbers. Plague Monks run up the field with the GUO and go for the opponents objectives. Chaos Warriors can just bounce between or go for a less defended Objective or hold a second home one.

Am I correct in reading in the book I can take 1 Nurgle Forest thing for free?

6 hours ago, Murphy said:

Am I correct in reading in the book I can take 1 Nurgle Forest thing for free?

If you have the Nurgle allegiance, you can place one down after all scenery has been set up. You'll usually gain enough contagion points to put down at least one more during the game, so I personally bring three just i case.

With the recommendation to get BoP into the list for the Monks my Current 1000 point list looks like this

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 92

Looks like a fun list! Be careful with your positioning of Festus, a shooty opponent will try to snipe him right off the board. I suggest nestling him right behind the Unclean One so he can use it as cover, and dump his healing potion on it since it'll probably he tanking a lot of hits.

Let us know how it goes, I've got a few 1k tournaments coming up and I might steal your list if it wins. :P

I'd prefer to have that big blob of 30 plaguebearers camping out in my own half with that -2 to be hit but Festus on 40 plague monks is too good not to bring to the table. When I upscale to 2000 I think a 30 man plaguebearer blob and a Plague Furnace are on the list of must haves.

Archived