Faction Focus - Pointless Speculation

PlasticCraic

So we've had Death, Order and Chaos...our turn tomorrow?

What do people think we'll see, and what would they like to see?

I think the most likely is Bonesplitterz (discussion of how they are being rebalanced away from Arrow Boy spam).

What I'd most like to see is Ironjawz Wave 2 announced.

I'd also love to see a focus on Gutbusters or Moonclan that announces a Battletome for those guys.

How about you?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Skabnoze, I think it would be great to see some Spiderfang love!

I'd love to see them get some focus.  Whether it'll happen tomorrow - I'm less convinced unfortunately.

They could easily release the Scuttlings from ST as a kit and give the catapult its own base and warscroll (a la Avatar of Khaine) for example.  I'm on record about how I'd love to see them all given the Bonesplitterz keyword too and get some synergies going (they don't have bones so it's legit thematically).  I think there's loads you could do with them and I'd love to see it.

God, I'm just finishing with my current Ironjawz, I'm not sure wallet can survive them releasing a whole bunch of new stuff.

Please GW, if you're reading this, I will hold my wallet down while you take all it's money if you release new Ironjawz stuff!!!!!

@PlasticCraic I have no expectations for anything Spiderfang any time soon.  With all the people that continually mention Grot Sky Pirates (I have not read any of the fluff with them in it) I am not even sure that Spiderfang will be exapanded or left as it's own thing.

I don't think it is very likely that we see more than 1-2 full grot Battletomes in just about any edition of this game.  Moonclan seems like a given to be the first to make the jump to a full battletome.  I have discussed it elsewhere, but it just makes the most sense by far.  After that it feels like a toss-up to me.  They could either do something new and unique such as the sky pirates or they could expand out something old.  Spiderfang makes a lot of sense to me, but who knows what GW thinks.  I always thought that Forest Goblins had a strong visual theme.  They also fit very well with Bonesplitterz visually.  On top of that, Giant Spiders are something fairly unique.  You currently don't see much in the way of bugs in the game.  Alarielle has her Beetle, Nurgle has some flies, and then there is Spiderfang.  Expanding out a force of crazy goblins on humongous spiders just makes sense to me.  Spiders come in a huge array of shapes and forms just in nature and there is a lot of neat things they could explore - and that is before laying the whole crazy fantasy world aspect onto it. 

But there may be something else that excites GW more.  Who knows?  All I know is that I have not been this interested in Forest goblins for two decades.

Realistically, I would expect them to go one of three ways for a faction focus:

1.  Pump up an army with a battletome that might be getting more updates in the future - and that they probably plan to at least tweak with the upcoming GHB to increase interest in a line they already sell (ie: Beastclaw or Ironjawz).

2. Get the hype train rolling on an older force that they plan to expand relatively soon with a battletome (ie:  Moonclan).  Get people thinking about them before they start spoiling models which happens in a very close window to sales release.  

3.  Expand a bit on a range that has languished a bit and won't get any models any time soon but that still may be interesting for the background.  Maybe they expand this force with an Allegiance or a bit of love in the next GHB, but realistically we should not expect more than that (ie:  Greenskinz, Spiderfang, Gitmob, Gutbusters, etc).

They all make sense to me, so I don't have a real prediction about which way they will go.  Hopefully we see soon!

It could be Moonclan since it possible they are doing all the Harbinger factions first.

If not I would guess it would be Ironjawz.

Honestly I be happy with anything in Destruction unless it happens not be a Destruction faction focus 

Greenskinz would be interesting also since they are basically the Free Peoples of Destruction.  They pop up throughout a variety of battletomes and background as basically this omni-present group of Orcs that are everywhere throughout the realms.  Ironjawz are all over the place too, but they are a specific force and always detailed as specific warbands.  Bonesplitterz are the Spanish Inquisition of Age of Sigmar - nobody expects them and their chief weapon is surprise.  Surprise and Fear.  Their two weapons are surprise, fear, and ruthless efficiency...

Greenskinz are described like they are trees, rocks, and grass practically.  They are all over the place, and just about anyone doing any sort of nation-building has to chase them out or deal with the harassment of their raids.  

I find it interesting that they are mentioned so often but they really don't have much description about who or what they are.  They are basically the not-Ironjawz and not-Bonesplitterz.  Beyond that we know next to nothing.  So I would not be surprised to see them expanded at least narratively a bit.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Greenskinz would be interesting also since they are basically the Free Peoples of Destruction.  They pop up throughout a variety of battletomes and background as basically this omni-present group of Orcs that are everywhere throughout the realms.  Ironjawz are all over the place too, but they are a specific force and always detailed as specific warbands.  Bonesplitterz are the Spanish Inquisition of Age of Sigmar - nobody expects them and their chief weapon is surprise.  Surprise and Fear.  Their two weapons are surprise, fear, and ruthless efficiency...

Greenskinz are described like they are trees, rocks, and grass practically.  They are all over the place, and just about anyone doing any sort of nation-building has to chase them out or deal with the harassment of their raids.  

I find it interesting that they are mentioned so often but they really don't have much description about who or what they are.  They are basically the not-Ironjawz and not-Bonesplitterz.  Beyond that we know next to nothing.  So I would not be surprised to see them expanded at least narratively a bit.

Similar to skaven, they were seen by humans of the empire as some sort of beast men (but we all know better)

and today in aos they somehow don’t exist at all. Until the malign portent campaign was over 

7 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Ironjawz and BCR allies!!! look at this picture from rules preview: turn priority. 100% confirmation i'd say ;)

AoSTurnPriority-May16-Battleshot2eg.jpg

And then we don't get much out of the alliance because the units are quite expensive. The best thing for these to, we have at the moment is Braggoth's Beast Hammer Battalion.

If the Harbinger Armies the first we get, it should be some sort of Grotarmy because of the Shaman. Stormcast and Nighthaut is already confirmed and taking Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness yesterday could be a hint to the Warqueen.

Wow that unusual, I didn't think the facebook page could be that confirmative about their future plans on releases.

Well at least this confirms that there is some future for Firebellies instead of being a one model faction conundrum that I scratch my head over about "Why they exist"

9 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Ironjawz and BCR allies!!! look at this picture from rules preview: turn priority. 100% confirmation i'd say ;)

AoSTurnPriority-May16-Battleshot2eg.jpg

It would make sense to make the Ironjaws the "Stormcast" of Destruction, being able to ally with pretty much anything

10 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

What I'd most like to see is Ironjawz Wave 2 announced.

I'd also love to see a focus on Gutbusters or Moonclan that announces a Battletome for those guys.

How about you?

I think it's super unlikely that GW will spoil anything further outside things specifically related to AoS 2.0 and potentially tidbits from the Generals Handbook in terms of points and the like.

Certainly not this early anyway. I think maybe a bit closer to release, we might find out what the new allegiance abilities will be in the Generals Handbook, but certainly I don't think we're close to finding out about any new upcoming factions (Other than perhaps drawing insights as to whats not in the Generals Handbook).

I think probably the Faction focus will deal with either Beastclaw Raiders or Bonesplitterz. Both have some very sizable issues in the current edition, and would be good ways to point out how they might become better in AoS 2.0. Beastclaw could indicate how large low model elite armies might work, while Bonesplitterz might be lead to an indication of how battalions might work (As no doubt they'd have to mention the Kunnin' Rukk in some capacity). 

Would love to see something for my gut-busters even if its just allegiance abilities. Given how two of the heralds have already proved to be teasers for new or updated forces I'm sure moon clan will be the next big destruction release but it would be great if we got a battletome for gutbusters as they are pretty much a full force already and don't really need any new models (though a plastic tyrant or butcher would not go amiss). To add to the pointless speculation, the image below from the "intro to the mortal realms" article they released at the announcement uses a  gutbuster ogor with moonclan on squigs in the background so make of that what you will.

AoSRealms-May12-FactionInfograph7wv.jpg

5 hours ago, Imperial said:

Yesterday in facebook GW said what Firebellies don't be merged in another faction and will get new miniatures. So i think we can get ogor faction focus soon.

I believe the comment was answer to "why there are 1 unit factions like Firebellys?" and it just stated that "as soon as the Studio makes new Firebelly models, we will expand the faction".  So I understand that they didn't say the faction gets new miniatures, but they would gladly add them, IF Studio makes the models. 

13 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Actually I hope they won't be allies. Or more correctly I don't see any point in it: there isn't much to win for IJ (Gordrakk/Maw Krusha are at least as good monsters as BCR has), and BCR wouldn't need them either: Gore Gruntas are the same that Mournfangs, all others are VERY slow.

Plus, if you have your cool monster army and you "must" add lots of small Ardboys, then it's not really the same :) .

I'd rather hope they buff BCR in some other ways. Like bring back our Stonehorn damage reduction :) ! Without Battle Brew they aren't that great anyway.

14 minutes ago, Imperial said:

It's another blended destruction image. 2 of 2 is maybe not accidental. As we're speculating though, I like the idea of freely mixed destruction being decent. It'd really spice things up for all players regardless of faction! Destruction is where the fun is at. Like that old saying "Destruction in the front, party in the back"

Archived