Gaming Space at home - Your solutions and setups

I have a ping pong table in the upstairs bonus room.  Fun for the kids and fits just about any game I want to play.

In addition, most Ping Pong tables fold up, and they often have wheels as well.  So if I wanted I could fold up the table and push it off to the side of the room.  As for terrain storage, we had an extra Armoire in the house that was being unused, so I stuck it into the corner of my game room and now I use it to keep all of my terrain stored.  When my oldest kids move out of the house I am going to fully take over this room and add some glass display cabinets, more terrain storage, etc.

6DE1D286-54F1-4D03-9FD6-862CDA37C11D.jpeg

I cut 2 thick boards (3x4). Layed them on the floor, turned my dining room table upside down and drew round it into the boards. Pre cut 4 small wooden rectangular blocks and screwed these around where I’d penned in the table top outline.

Screwed 1 clasp either side of where thr Dinning table would be, joining the two boards together. 

So now I have a 6x4 table that is strong and durable that can be put away. Gaming mat finishes it off nicely. 

FB4E9E37-6CC4-4B74-A31F-129750A59A33.jpeg

On 5/16/2018 at 10:19 PM, Kramer said:

Sadly I have nothing that would help you in low space. But the best I can come up with (and used to use) is get a couple of these. Two long 6ft planks  and six 2 by 2 ft squares of a light but sturdy wood. Place the two long planks on top of the supports, squares on top of that. If you want you can paint them or easier still get a roll of modeling grass. Cut out 6 2x2ft squares and glue them on top of the wooden squares.  

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor schragen

Advantage it easily stores underneath a bed, behind a couch. Places like that. Disadvantages: because the squares are not attached the table will be very prone to gaps appearing between the squares because of slight bumps into the table. 

Hope this helps. 

I am lucky to have a full-time table setup in the garage, but my 2nd table is two thin 90x120cm joined by a couple lightweight hinges.

Light enough to be carried by one person, easy to just store leaning against the garage wall and set up in no time with a couple trestles.

I have a spare mat (I have a grass Ziterdes mat and a cheap desert mat I got at the store that's oilcloth-like in texture) so there it goes.

I had a nice 8x4 dining room table that was perfect for AoS until recently.  Unfortunately we decided that a play room for the kids down stairs was probably a better use of space than a rarely used formal dining room when the kitchen also has space for a table that we typically eat at and apparently I can't have two rooms dedicated to games. But we did replace the kitchen table and I was able to just barely squeeze the old 4x4 kitchen table into my "den". So for AoS it's better for 1000 point or skirmish games, though 1500 points can work and of course other games that work on 4x4. The upside is that now I've got enough terrain to fill the table nicely, frontline gaming had the Privateer Press 4x4 mats on sale recently and its a counter height table, so it's actually much more comfortable to stand at while playing.

4 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I had a nice 8x4 dining room table that was perfect for AoS until recently.  Unfortunately we decided that a play room for the kids down stairs was probably a better use of space than a rarely used formal dining room when the kitchen also has space for a table that we typically eat at and apparently I can't have two rooms dedicated to games. But we did replace the kitchen table and I was able to just barely squeeze the old 4x4 kitchen table into my "den". So for AoS it's better for 1000 point or skirmish games, though 1500 points can work and of course other games that work on 4x4. The upside is that now I've got enough terrain to fill the table nicely, frontline gaming had the Privateer Press 4x4 mats on sale recently and its a counter height table, so it's actually much more comfortable to stand at while playing.

My game room is also our kids play room.  I just convinced my wife to put a ping-pong table into the room instead of something smaller like foosball.

If the room is big enough then look into getting a ping pong table.  You can find them cheap or get a pretty nice one for just $200-300.  They also fold up and usually have wheel so they can be pushed out of the way to open up play space.  

You can also find used ones pretty cheap and in good shape online.  We got ours used for just $80.  It was a great purchase and if it needs to be replaced I will probably buy a better quality one brand new.  So much space for gaming.  It works great for a realm of battle board like I showed in a previous post, or for various sizes roll-out mats.  There is extra room to keep books, drinks, extra models, etc.  No need for a topper at all.  

I had been thinking of building a topper for either a fold-out table or our dining table, but this works infinitely better.  Also it keeps my wife from complaining about scratching up our nice dinner table, no need for a protective cloth under the topper, etc.

This what I am planning on doing if I ever get a free weekend again:

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips28/tips28.html#top

Make two 4'x4' boards (or maybe one 4'x4' and two 2'x4' boards),cover with vinyl, and use little hooks and bungee cords to hold them down to smaller tables.  And in my case, will work perfectly with our dining table.

Failing that, I've always liked the idea of having a gaming table that folds into the wall like a Murphy bed, and having cabinet space that also can hold some scenery and essentials like dice, tape measure, etc.

4 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Yeah, they are for reptile aquariums.  They are also really really big.  You can get them from Petsmart - here is a link:

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/all-living-things-elephant-bones-reptile-ornament-5254793.html

I've long thought of buying a zombie dragon model just to make terrain/scenery with.

GpVoe.jpg

Your petsmart piece is a lot cheaper. May be too big though? How do you feel about it in play?

I like it.  But with the caveat that I wanted something big that would block line of sight to even big monsters and would be impassable.

I have seen smaller items that are similar in the reptile section.  You can also make them by getting dinosaur skeleton models or toys and chopping them up.

I am working on a table set in Ghur and I wanted terrain that looked like some of the artwork you can see for the plain of bones or in the Bonesplitterz battletome.  So this item fit right in for me.  I also have some giant skulls that I am going to cut up and make embedded into the ground or hills and some full sets of dinosaur bones of all sizes I was going to make into smaller scatter terrain.

4C9B4027-04F3-4B92-91F9-2B85F0A92EFC.jpeg

FCA2E2F1-CDA6-41DC-AE91-69CFD904C22B.jpeg

On 5/19/2018 at 11:58 PM, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I cut 2 thick boards (3x4). Layed them on the floor, turned my dining room table upside down and drew round it into the boards. Pre cut 4 small wooden rectangular blocks and screwed these around where I’d penned in the table top outline.

Screwed 1 clasp either side of where thr Dinning table would be, joining the two boards together. 

So now I have a 6x4 table that is strong and durable that can be put away. Gaming mat finishes it off nicely. 

FB4E9E37-6CC4-4B74-A31F-129750A59A33.jpeg

I had this idea as I'm currently using a 4x4 board but am totally useless at DIY.  Any chance you could show a picture of the underside to explain the blocks and clasps?

@valenswift 

The board is about an inch thick so it can be screwed into. 

As you can see, I have drawn the shape of the table on. Added 6 small blocks around the out line. 

The clasps were brought off eBay, and I use a thin nail to give it extra rigidity when I put it together. 

It was actually quite easy to do. I’m normally pretty useless at this kind of thing. Hope this helps. 

ADF0606A-F3F0-4FA7-8590-BF543C9889A2.jpeg

57ED653F-2221-4977-80FC-55CE1F76762D.jpeg

F41C2F88-7CB6-480A-AA2F-9E39DE8B7B01.jpeg

C85F92B4-824C-4047-9571-148AFEA4C138.jpeg

D66FAC76-60CD-4838-A134-5A758CC86714.jpeg

Archived