London GT hype

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

£50 for two sets of security to rummage through your bags, no food allows in and only one stall open, useless terrain, fire exits blocked and less than 2 feet between some tables?

Sounds like the organisers robbed everyone.

I'm guessing you weren't actually there...?

Terrain was pretty great for aos

Can't speak for 40k.

20180518_201425.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I'm guessing you weren't actually there...?

Terrain was pretty great for aos

Can't speak for 40k.

20180518_201425.jpg

Terrain-wise, Necromunda was best, AoS  and 30k was good, 40k was appalling. 

I've never been to a tournament before, so I don't know what it's like in other tournaments? I know the small gap between tables is what it's like in gaming shops when I play. 

I definitely think they overbooked for 40K - 400 players, or something like that? Finding space and terrain for ~200 tables is going to mean cutting corners. By comparison AoS had 66 players, 30-40 decent-looking tables, and - occasionally - room to move your elbows. I had a really good time.

1 hour ago, CJPT said:

I definitely think they overbooked for 40K - 400 players, or something like that? Finding space and terrain for ~200 tables is going to mean cutting corners. By comparison AoS had 66 players, 30-40 decent-looking tables, and - occasionally - room to move your elbows. I had a really good time.

AoS was definitely better, but I would have liked much more space between tables! I had a great time either way, but it was despite the shortcomings. 

27 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

AoS was definitely better, but I would have liked much more space between tables! I had a great time either way, but it was despite the shortcomings. 

I got lucky: I got annihilated in my first two games. Lots of room to move in the bottom tables!

This was my fist ever tournament so I cant compare much but i thought the terrain was pretty good, much better then the Lego creations my friend and I usually use!

Space was a little cramped when standing but there was plenty of room under the tables for stuff and always a seat for chilling when needed.

I managed to wrangle 3 wins over the weekend with the best game saved until last. Total Conquest vs Carnelian, it came down to just a few points at the end. Highlight of the match was when his Arkhan came a single 2+ roll from getting a full curse of years off on my entire block of Tzaangors. Ive never been happier to see that single pip!

Personally, I already cant wait for next year (and any other event i can get in before then). It was a genuine pleasure to play out the weekend with such stellar opponents. 

IMG_20180520_152302.jpg

I thought it was a good event, but won't go again due to:

• London. Adds so many hours of ******** walking / taxis / congestion / parking issues that aren't an issue elsewhere just rocking up in your car. 
  • Venue service. The physical venue is great, but the security and barstaff were awful. Ages to get food/drinks (soooo many staff, so little service available), silly queue time to get in.

Basically would be a fantastic event if teleported outside London where these issues aren't issues. Jokes on me I guess for not predicting this (I've never been to inner London before with luggage).

Positives: 

• The actual games and pack - no silly rules that become a chore. The quest cards were fantastic and really made a difference - I'm in awe of the top players that can not only win 5 games but achieve really difficult quests on top of that. The extra 15 mins on games made a difference too, slightly less rushing. 
  • Tables and terrain. Wasn't cramped, had a chair, plenty of storage space under table, Loved the pre-set terrain plans for the tables, this should be done everywhere. Good mix of LOS-blocking and other terrain. 
  • The BCP app. Never used this and it's great to see the rankings change throughout the weekend. And seeing lists. 

I achieved my goal of winning a battle, learned LOADS, and played a bunch of great opponents and interesting lists.

54 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

• London. Adds so many hours of bu11shit walking / taxis / congestion / parking issues that aren't an issue elsewhere just rocking up in your car. 
  • Venue service. The physical venue is great, but the security and barstaff were awful. Ages to get food/drinks (soooo many staff, so little service available), silly queue time to get in.

Basically would be a fantastic event if teleported outside London where these issues aren't issues. Jokes on me I guess for not predicting this (I've never been to inner London before with luggage).

Positives: 

• The actual games and pack - no silly rules that become a chore. The quest cards were fantastic and really made a difference - I'm in awe of the top players that can not only win 5 games but achieve really difficult quests on top of that. The extra 15 mins on games made a difference too, slightly less rushing. 
  • Tables and terrain. Wasn't cramped, had a chair, plenty of storage space under table, Loved the pre-set terrain plans for the tables, this should be done everywhere. Good mix of LOS-blocking and other terrain. 
  • The BCP app. Never used this and it's great to see the rankings change throughout the weekend. And seeing lists. 

I achieved my goal of winning a battle, learned LOADS, and played a bunch of great opponents and interesting lists.

What did you play?

Positives: 

• The actual games and pack - no silly rules that become a chore. The quest cards were fantastic and really made a difference - I'm in awe of the top players that can not only win 5 games but achieve really difficult quests on top of that. The extra 15 mins on games made a difference too, slightly less rushing. 

All very good points   :)

4 hours ago, Drachenbibbles said:

This was my fist ever tournament so I cant compare much but i thought the terrain was pretty good, much better then the Lego creations my friend and I usually use!

Space was a little cramped when standing but there was plenty of room under the tables for stuff and always a seat for chilling when needed.

I managed to wrangle 3 wins over the weekend with the best game saved until last. Total Conquest vs Carnelian, it came down to just a few points at the end. Highlight of the match was when his Arkhan came a single 2+ roll from getting a full curse of years off on my entire block of Tzaangors. Ive never been happier to see that single pip!

Personally, I already cant wait for next year (and any other event i can get in before then). It was a genuine pleasure to play out the weekend with such stellar opponents. 

IMG_20180520_152302.jpg

Hi! Yeah that was a really great game and a pleasure to play/meet you!

I really thought I had you when I was rolling that last curse of years dice, especially after your gaunt summoner on balewind vortex took off 20 skeletons in one hit but I regrew them all - I felt the momentum was with me.

Sooo close!

3 hours ago, Sheriff said:

• London. Adds so many hours of bu11shit walking / taxis / congestion / parking issues that aren't an issue elsewhere just rocking up in your car. 

Positives: 

Hey sorry to hear that about London but I understand. For me London is fantastic - I don't drive so getting to other tournaments by train is a drag - and for me it was a 25 min bus and then literally a walk in a park to get to the stadium, but I can see how it could be a real pain if you were coming from another part of London.

I don't know if they will use the same venue next year as I'm not sure the rooms for 40k were great and there are a lot more 40k players attending 

15 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

The Plaguetouched Warband has overtaken the Changehost for sheer Battalion stupidity! The power level is off the chart for 100 points

Possibly, but 1st place included Archaon, 2nd place only scored 5,550 kill points, 3rd place was a Muderhost, 4th place was Seraphon with 80! Saurus warriors. Id say thats a pretty good spread. The best changehost was 6th as it lost its first game.

55 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

The Plaguetouched Warband has overtaken the Changehost for sheer Battalion stupidity! The power level is off the chart for 100 points

I think the reality is that although it's an old battalion, combined with the new battletome it presents a new set of obstacles to overcome for players experienced with existing powerlists. I imagine it won't be as successful in 6 month's time. 

1 hour ago, GriinWan said:

Is there any place to see non-top lists? Very interested in mixed destro, what did people try to play with?

The BCP app has all the lists and placings. I love that app, was following live draws and lists throughout the weekend. They are only up for public use for about 3 days so take a look and screenshot everything you want. After that they take them down an you have to be a subscriber to view the back log of all events. A mixed destro guy went 4-1 finishing 9th. Using the app you can  check his draw and opponents lists. I transcribed his list for you below, I didn't double check and don't know the firestorm rules well so will assume the interaction between Stoneklaw's Gutstompas and Moonclan is legal.

Allegiance: Stoneklaw's Gutstompas (Moonclan)

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Cave Squigs (240)

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 225

7 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

The BCP app has all the lists and placings. They are only up for public use for about 3 days so take a look and screenshot everything you want. After that they take them down an you have to be a subscriber to view the back log of all events. This guy went 4-1 finishing 9th. Using the app you can  check his draw and opponents lists.

Allegiance: Stoneklaw's Gutstompas (Moonclan)

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline
20 x Cave Squigs (240)

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 225

This guy's army was great. He made the collossal squig from a christmas baubal with some green stuff for the mouth and eyes and put it on some dragon legs. It looked great. 

26 minutes ago, xking said:

I don't really like "The Outer Circle". But did this really happen?

Which part in particular? Seem to be correct reflection of the 40k event. I believe the AOS event was better ran which had 66 players compared to the 366 of 40k.

Great AOS event made up we had our own area with just enough room and facilities nearby, would have removed the unused tables over night or during lunch myself to give us all the extra bit of room we needed and the delay getting started on Saturday meant Saturday night was a wipe out but I had a great time met loads of new people! 

Thanks again to Tom for running it. 

yeah the aos event went well. A little cramped but amazingly well lit, good air con, mats on every table, 12 pieces of terrain per table with preset maps. The app worked very well to make the admin of matchups work well and also to help you plan your next game over lunch as you could view your opponents list in the app. 

Really positive atmosphere with lots of great opponents.

Sad to hear about 40k not going well but really for aos my main criticism was the delay on Saturday due to security and that the faq and communication in the couple of weeks before the event was lacking.

Once we got going on the Saturday it was all good and I would go again. 

Archived