High Elf returning player

Malcador

Hey guys, 

Finally coming to give AoS a crack after leaving my beloved high elves in a box for the last however many years since the Old World died. I know they're going to struggle a bit with the new factions, but I don't want to start buying new things until I know I like the ruleset. It's a pure high elf army, using the Order keyword. I haven't added any of the relics etc, mainly because I don't know what the best ones would be, but I figure my Annointed would be the general. 

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Seawarden on Foot (100)
Anointed (80)
Loremaster (100)

Battleline
30 x Highborn Spearmen (240)
5 x Reavers (160)
5 x Reavers (160)

Units
20 x Highborn Archers (200)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
20 x Swordmasters (360)

Behemoths
Frostheart Phoenix (240)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Figure the spears and archers hold towards the home objectives, with reavers, infantry and frostheart move up towards the enemy. Think I've got a good mix of choppy and shooty, and some decent speed as well, though I'm not sure I have enough monsters, but I would love some feedback. I'm not going to be facing a tournament with this, purely just local dudes out for garage games. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Hey guys, 

Finally coming to give AoS a crack after leaving my beloved high elves in a box for the last however many years since the Old World died. I know they're going to struggle a bit with the new factions, but I don't want to start buying new things until I know I like the ruleset. It's a pure high elf army, using the Order keyword. I haven't added any of the relics etc, mainly because I don't know what the best ones would be, but I figure my Annointed would be the general. 

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Seawarden on Foot (100)
Anointed (80)
Loremaster (100)

Battleline
30 x Highborn Spearmen (240)
5 x Reavers (160)
5 x Reavers (160)

Units
20 x Highborn Archers (200)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
20 x Swordmasters (360)

Behemoths
Frostheart Phoenix (240)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Figure the spears and archers hold towards the home objectives, with reavers, infantry and frostheart move up towards the enemy. Think I've got a good mix of choppy and shooty, and some decent speed as well, though I'm not sure I have enough monsters, but I would love some feedback. I'm not going to be facing a tournament with this, purely just local dudes out for garage games. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

Love it ? finally somebody who isn’t playing stormcast 

With the reveal that you can use all your heroes command abilities in AoS 2, it might actually make pulling off a High Elf army doable, as you can now have each contingent 'led' by a hero. The problem has been how insular each splinter faction is, maybe now they could act a bit like the 40k Drukhari?

As long as the game is really casual it should work fine. I'd recommend putting an annointed on that Phoenix (it's one of the only really good units in the Aelf lineup) and dropping 10 swordmasters for a Mistweaver (or spellweaver or other 80pt wizard to cast Arcane Shield on the 'nix as the 2+ armour from one spell is what makes it good) and 10 more spearmen (the spearmen are actually pretty good in blocks of 40- the longer they stay above 20 the better.  

Just be prepared that even in a garage game if anybody brings anything modern you are toast- if an Ironjawz player randomly selects a list, deploys at the front of their deployment zone and simply moves and runs/charges towards the nearest unit you will lose - high elves have been kinda boned.

Might be worth figuring out how to squeeze an extra 10 highborn archwers in because a block of 30 is hilarious with the seawarden's command ability (I've oneshot Nagash from full health with it before and when I did the maths I noticed that I was only slightly lucky).

Archived