A vampire army

Milford

Hi all,

I'm really interested in building a knightly, vampire themed 2k point army.

Currently, I have 15 grail knight models and an old Morgiana Le Fay model which I'm converting into 15 blood knights and a vampire lord.  I want the centre of this army to be the hard hitting vampire knights.

But I'm not sure which direction to go from this 920 point centre. I want the army to be competitive, but I also don't want to break too much from the knightly aesthetic. And I'm not really a fan of the current death models available.

I really have two main questions: (i) do you guys have any suggestions of how I could expand the army? (ii) do you guys have any model conversion suggestions?

I've got a couple of ideas at the moment. First, I was thinking of adding a vampire lord on zombie dragon as my general, but instead of the skeletal dragon model, using the old dragonlord model (suitably converted!). Second, I was thinking of adding one or two infantry units, but instead of using the death models available, converting either chaos warriors or freeguild guard.

What do you guys reckon?

• Like 1

Alot of people make blood knights out of dragon knights. I think some kitbashing between those your knights and some death upgrade kits and you would have a very good looking army!

Maybe you could use the terrogheist as a sort of  corrupted unicorn or pegasus keeping with the knightly theme. 

For your infantry models what about some thralls, use lots of random men from different sets but give them a unifying scheme. They would be in servitude to their vampire masters on their way to death!

• Thanks 1

I also have plans for a vampire knightly aesthetic army too. Converting the following:

15 Chaos Knights to Blood Knights.

6 Stormcast Prosecutors to counts as Vargheist (large vampire knights borne aloft on ethereal wings)

Cauldron of Blood chassis to Bloodseeker Palanquin (using a converted sister of Silence as the knightly rider of the warmachine)

Adding front legs and a different head to the zombie dragon

Dark Elf Executioners as Grave Guard with head and weapon swaps

Some old Cold Ones as counts as dire wolves (dragon knight theme)

Counts as Arkhan (knightly vampire wizard riding a zombified Magmadroth. This one is just because Curse of Years has been my favourite undead spell for as long as I can remember)

Aetherwings as Giant Bats (ravens)

Zombiecide crow swarms as Bat Swarms

I started the project a few months ago but recently stopped to work on some Stormcast instead. But I'll pick this one up again soon enough.

Edited by Wolfman
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! Glad to see other people are working on similar projects.

I think the expansion of the nighthaunt roster is especially exciting, as I imagine a large part of the WHFB/AoS range will be convertible into one of the new nighthaunt units (by, amongst other things, painting the models in an ethereal fashion). For example,  I could use old bretonnian men-at-arms as basic night haunt units in the army alongside my ex-enchantress Vampire Lord and ex-grail-knight Blood Knights. The fluff being that the men-at-arms are still serving their grail knight masters, but now from beyond the grave.

1 hour ago, Milford said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! Glad to see other people are working on similar projects.

I think the expansion of the nighthaunt roster is especially exciting, as I imagine a large part of the WHFB/AoS range will be convertible into one of the new nighthaunt units (by, amongst other things, painting the models in an ethereal fashion). For example,  I could use old bretonnian men-at-arms as basic night haunt units in the army alongside my ex-enchantress Vampire Lord and ex-grail-knight Blood Knights. The fluff being that the men-at-arms are still serving their grail knight masters, but now from beyond the grave.

My 5th through 8th edition Fantasy army was Bretonnian Vampires. I used men at arms with head and arm swaps as grave guard, Pegasus knights as vargheist, converted hex wraiths to use 2 handed swords and knight helmets to represent the enslaved souls of Questing Knights who has been slain while hunting my vampire lord etc. 

AoS has an even larger scope for narrative and themed armies.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfman said:

My 5th through 8th edition Fantasy army was Bretonnian Vampires. I used men at arms with head and arm swaps as grave guard, Pegasus knights as vargheist, converted hex wraiths to use 2 handed swords and knight helmets to represent the enslaved souls of Questing Knights who has been slain while hunting my vampire lord etc. 

Nice. I really like the idea of capturing different tiers of Bretonnian knights with different death cavalry units.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 5:04 PM, Wolfman said:

I also have plans for a vampire knightly aesthetic army too. Converting the following:

15 Chaos Knights to Blood Knights.

How did you do these?  I'm also using Chaos Knights as a starting point.  I shaved off all the spikey bitz including the horns at the horses' joints.  While they do seem nightmarish, it just has too much of the Chaos Knight read.  I'll fill in all the chaos stars with GS next.  After that, I'm doing torso swaps and bare heads from Kromlech.  Shields will be a mix of 40K FW Black Templar and Dark Angel storm shields.  Need to figure out weapons.  Probably going with scythes for the leaders.  Haven't made much progress other than cleaning up all the horses. 

2 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

How did you do these?  I'm also using Chaos Knights as a starting point.  I shaved off all the spikey bitz including the horns at the horses' joints.  While they do seem nightmarish, it just has too much of the Chaos Knight read.  I'll fill in all the chaos stars with GS next.  After that, I'm doing torso swaps and bare heads from Kromlech.  Shields will be a mix of 40K FW Black Templar and Dark Angel storm shields.  Need to figure out weapons.  Probably going with scythes for the leaders.  Haven't made much progress other than cleaning up all the horses. 

Not as much as you have done. I like the spikes, sort of a Vlad the Impaler thing. I shaved off the raised chaos symbols on the horses and torsos. I have a bunch of heads converted from Khorne Blood Warriors (the ones wth fanged skull helmets), replacing the bunny ears with various sets of wings and dragon icons. I found a Blood Angel terminator bare head with no techy bits and fangs that I grabbed a couple off too. The first set of 5 are armed with swords, mostly from the battlemage kit. I also converted a Sister of Silence as on of them using her upper half and legs from a Cold One Knight. The second set of 5 will be armed with axes I got from Shapeways that have dragon icons on them. Still figuring out weapons for the third set of 5.

20180318_003746_zpswct9ra1o.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

What bitz did you use here?

The vampiress is from the coven throne.  I changed up her hands to give her a more invocation pose.   The sword is the black knight  leaders sword, pinned to appear suspended in air. 

The horse is a spare hexwraith horse .  The flames are green stuff. 

These may not be normal bits to have lying around,  but I've been kitbashing this army for a while. 

2 minutes ago, grungolah said:

The vampiress is from the coven throne.  I changed up her hands to give her a more invocation pose.   The sword is the black knight  leaders sword, pinned to appear suspended in air. 

The horse is a spare hexwraith horse .  The flames are green stuff. 

These may not be normal bits to have lying around,  but I've been kitbashing this army for a while. 

I think i'm just going to need to do a whole bunch of GS-ing.  I have a Sorceress on  Black Dragon coming that I want to put side-saddle with a VC outfit.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, vampire lord said:

can anyone help on the best vampire models to start a army with.

Well:

double kit of Elven Dragon Knights (don‘t find them anymore... maybe drakespawn or  dark riders for round 2x30 bucks)

a box of dire wolves, for cheap chaff allies or legion of blood (20 bucks)

Heroes of choice (vlad resin kit or something else... 20bucks)

100 bucks...