Clarify some basic errors? 1st game for ages

syph0n

Question

As title, played 1st game with my kids today, for a long time since AoS launched and think I made some basic errors. 

1) Had a situation where a chariot moved along the tables edge, ending its move just under 3" away from an opposing unit in combat to the chariots rear. It had room to squeeze through, but its back end was about 2.5" from the back end of the enemy. This isn't legit is it? Ie: within 3". Even if intention is clearly to go past. 

I let it happen as my daughter intended to charge a bolt thrower at the end of the table, but another opponent could have attacked the rear of the unit already in combat. 

2) Combat phase. Player whose turn it is chooses first combat, but after, it goes back and forth picking units, irrespective of charges and whose turn? Unless a special rule overrides? 

3) If a unit is attacked by one unit and survives, then is attacked by a second unit and survives, does on both occasions it get to return melee? Eg: hydra attacks dragon. Doesn't kill dragon. Dragon returns. Drakespawn attacks dragon, does dragon get to fight again? 

4) Resolving damage for multiple damage weapons. You roll to save vs wounds? Eg: 3 wounds suffered, you save two, other failed. Its a 2 wound weapon, so you take two wounds. Damage occurs after save? 

There may well have been other mistakes, but having watched a few bat reps I think I got the jist enough for open play! 

4 answers to this question

1. In the movement phase, you may never enter within a 3" bubble around enemy units. Therefore, the move you described is not permitted by the rules.

2. You described it correctly. On my turn I pick the first unit to fight in combat, then you pick one, and we alternate in that fashion until all units have been selected once each (unless specific abilities indicate a different order or that a unit can be selected more than once).

3. As written in my response to #2, each unit can only be chosen for melee combat once per turn unless they have a special ability that indicates otherwise.

4. I shoot you with my Bastiladon's 2D6 shooting attacks (2 damage weapon). I succeed with three wound rolls. You then roll 3 saves. Each save that fails means that you take 2 damage. As you say, damage occurs after the save.
-- Note: if you have an extra "ignore the wound" roll (e.g., Deathless Minions), that comes after the damage is multiplied. Let's say for example that you fail all three save rolls in this example. the Deathless Minions rule then grants you 6 dice to potentially avoid the actual damage.

OK, so the movement one was as I suspected. I let my daughter off for the interests of fun, but in reality it means you can control the field by the table edge in these sorts of situations because they cannot successfully finish their move. 

On point 3, I didn't let the dragon attack the in the second combat it received. Glad I got that right! It's logical to ensure that when multiple units attack one single unit  that the multiple units have that particular advantage.

New Q in addition to this - if say the dragon killed one unit with 2 wounds to spare, are they then allocated to the second separate unit attacking? Or do you have to allocate the number of attacks when it's the dragon's turn  to fight back in the first combat? The example I give is that I had a hydra and a sorceress on drakespawn attack the dragon. Hydra went first, but failed to kill the dragon. The dragon attacked the hydra back, and rolled a 6 on it's D6 attack to finish the hydra off (which was down to 4 wounds). I didn't allocate the two remaining wounds to the sorceress. Was I wrong?

10 hours ago, syph0n said:

1) Had a situation where a chariot moved along the tables edge, ending its move just under 3" away from an opposing unit in combat to the chariots rear. It had room to squeeze through, but its back end was about 2.5" from the back end of the enemy. This isn't legit is it? Ie: within 3". Even if intention is clearly to go past.  

I let it happen as my daughter intended to charge a bolt thrower at the end of the table, but another opponent could have attacked the rear of the unit already in combat. 

there are two ways to see this. By following the 4 Page rules you can't move into a 3" Bubble  like @rokapoke said. When reading the FAQ you can move through the 3" bubble of an enemy but never end within it. So in both cases the shortest point of the chariot has to be outside of 3" at the end of it's movement.

10 hours ago, syph0n said:

3) If a unit is attacked by one unit and survives, then is attacked by a second unit and survives, does on both occasions it get to return melee? Eg: hydra attacks dragon. Doesn't kill dragon. Dragon returns. Drakespawn attacks dragon, does dragon get to fight again?  

You can activate every unit in close combat only once unless it has a ability. Don't think in the way of "attacking back", because you don't have to attack back with a unit when it was attacked.

In your example: Dragon (let's say Dragonloard) against Hydra (in 2") + Drakespawn Knights (in 3"), after the Drakespawns have to be in 3" that they are able to attack in the first place you actually could attack the Drakespawns with Fearsome Jaws if they are outside of 2" and the Hydra with Dragon Lance and Dragon Claws.

When we bring another unit into the game: Dragon (let's say Dragonlord) against Hydra (in 2") + Drakespawn (in 3") and Dragon Blades against some Drakespawn Chariots.

1. The Hydra attacked your Dragonlord first.
  2. Now you have the choice activating your Dragonlord to pile in and attack or your Dragon Blades (if you think that your Dragonlord will survive the Drakespawn Knights you can activate the Dragon Blades, perhaps killing the Drakespawn Chariots so these won't attack back or with lesser attacks)
  3. After that your enemy chooses his Drakespawn Knights or the Drakespawn Chariot (most likly the Drakespawn Knights if you activated the Dragon Blades, because the Chariots can't get damage anymore in this close combat phase) / or instead if the Dragonlord was activated, the Drakespawn Charots will be activated because they can minimise the damage of the Dragon Blades before these attacked.

Activations will follow as long as there are units in close combat that aren't activated yet.

I hope this example will help you.

3 minutes ago, syph0n said:

New Q in addition to this - if say the dragon killed one unit with 2 wounds to spare, are they then allocated to the second separate unit attacking? Or do you have to allocate the number of attacks when it's the dragon's turn  to fight back in the first combat? The example I give is that I had a hydra and a sorceress on drakespawn attack the dragon. Hydra went first, but failed to kill the dragon. The dragon attacked the hydra back, and rolled a 6 on it's D6 attack to finish the hydra off (which was down to 4 wounds). I didn't allocate the two remaining wounds to the sorceress. Was I wrong?

You allocate attacks at the start of your units activation and these attacks can only wound the attacked unit. An attack against a hydra will only damage the hydra. If you make more damage to the hydra than it has wounds left the wounds are lost.

Thanks @EMMachine that's very helpful.

You've highlighted a mistake I made that I didn't realise. I did the charge phase, but also did the pile ins for both the hydra and the sorceress at that point. Clearly, I should finish the charge phase, pile in with the first combat, resolve, then pile in when it's back to me in combat with the sorceress?

As you said, that would mean that in the dragon's phase, he would allocate wounds accordingly and if there are units yet to pile in against the dragon, it would depend on weapon range as to whether they can allocate wounds to units other than, in this instance, the hydra who has already piled in and resolved combat. 

At least I know the dragon 'overkilled' the hydra, and that I didn't rob my kids of two wounds of the sorceress (who nearly killed the dragon in my following magic phase!). 

Archived