New to Ironjawz - wanna get a 2000p army

omotiverat

Hi! Im all new to Ironjawz and i just got hold of a Start collecting box for free so i want to build a 2000p army. 

So is there anyone that can recommend a viable armylist? so i know for future purchases. 

Units i have now:

3 Gore-gruntas
10 'Ardboyz

1 Warchanter

Ironskull's boyz from shadespire. 

and i know for sure i am gonna buy the maw-crusha cause i wanna paint it. 

Cheers :)

/ pantzarmini @ instagram

This is what i had i mind right now, but tbh i have no idea if this is viable or not. 

LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

UNITS

6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)

30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)

10 x Orruk Brutes (360)

BATTALIONS

Ironfist (160)

TOTAL: 1990/2000

WOUNDS: 152

Welcome to the Waaagh!! I think the best advice I can give is to have some games around 1000 points, and test different units out that way. Your 2k list doesn't look bad at all, may want to consider swapping the ironfist for a weirdfist? 30 ardboyz makes the shaman viable already. Add some brutes and a mawkrusha and you're up to 1040 points. In friendly games, as long as you tell them, most players won't mind that at all and can probably rebalance their lists to match :) That way you can get a good idea of what all the units do, and then from there you could add a weirdnob shaman, warchanter, and then another 10 ardboyz or 5 brutes, and ironskull's boyz to get up to 1500.

I would definitely advise testing the units first to see what you like, then give battalions a go. But don't overlook brutes, they're the real hammers of the army. For reference, I use:

1000 points:

Megaboss

Warchanter

Fungoid Cave Shaman (Ally, makes a great mystic shield caster, and is decently survivable - last game he single handedly killed a high aelf eagle in melee!)

10 brutes

5 brutes

3 gore gruntas

First of all thank you for the reply! :)

yeah that might be a good idea, i'm not gonna buy everything at once anyways. My thoughts is im gonna buy the mawcrusha and maybe a wierdnob warband box this month. 

about their abilities, is there a much choose ones? i heard ironclad and Battle brew is kind of good. 

Brutes. You are Going to need Brutes(2-4 sets at least).  They look cool and they are great once they get into combat.  Sets of 5 with 1 Gore Choppa and the Boss with Claw and Smasha are considered best, unless you have a group of 10 with as many Gore Hackas as possible.  (magnetize your arms/weapons to switch out! It isn't as hard as you may think and it will save you time/money)

Ardboys are best utilized in sets of 10 or 30.  With the mix setup of some with shields and some more offensive, they can be a pain to remove from the board and be decently threatening. (this is apparently one of few units that can mix setups).  Their bonus to charge means they usually succeed. (minimum 5 inch charge/normal max 15 inches!)

The weirdnob warband box is great and would help fill out your army (maybe 2).  The shaman himself has mixed reviews. He is expensive and hurts himself/allies sometimes...but has 2 unique spells(high cast values) and can get +2 casting from 20 nearby orruks. Typically, you won't need/want to own more than one weirdnob shaman or two from my understanding.

Gore-Gruntas are faster and cheaper than our other units.  They can tie up enemies while the rest gets there, take objectives, etc.  Underwhelming at times from what I hear.  Units of 6 are considered better than units of 3.  If you are using 6 or less, use all Pig Iron Choppa. If more than 6, use Gore Hackas.

Allies are a way for us to offset our shortcomings.(no range)  Bonesplitterz Arrowboys(120 pts per 10), Greenskin orruks with bows(90 pts per 10), Gitmob Rock Lobbers(100 points per), Gitmob Spear Chuckas (120 pts per),  and cheaper Casters like Fungoid cave shaman (80 Points), Grot Shamans(80 pts).  (allies up to 20% of your army)

Ironclad is amazing on the Mawkrusha because it has the health and great save to take advantage many times over.  Daubing of Mork is another one that is great for the same reason. If a wound or mortal wound make it through, you get a chance to ignore it!  Both of these can be great on the Megaboss as well, he just has less Health so won't have as many chances to take advantage of it. But it is still very useful on him.

Bestial Charisma and Boss Skewer are also amazing to offset our low bravery scores. 

Chris Tomlin, Malakree, and Sangfroid are the experts(Biggest Bosses) and have made several lengthy and informative posts on these subjects. I would heed their advice.  The information I have given is what I have gathered from them.

P.S.-Ebay is your friend. I got 10 brutes, 1 megaboss, 3 goregrunta, 2 warchanters, and 2 Weirdnob shamans for $100. (needed repainting, but its ok)

i have much thinking and surveying to do now! ^^, Thank a lot for the replys! 

about using magnets,  how often is proxys not allowed? like if i have gore-gruntas with Gore-hackas, but i say they have the pig-choppas in advance? i understand that i can't enter a tournament with empty paintbottles and say it's  a couple of gore-gruntas but if it is the same model just a different weapon, is there rly a problem? cause this will save me more time and money :D

The visuals of the game is rly important for me, i love the painting side of the hobby so even if it's a bit worse i am not going to use allies/older models, just pure Ironjawz.

1 hour ago, omotiverat said:

i have much thinking and surveying to do now! ^^, Thank a lot for the replys! 

about using magnets,  how often is proxys not allowed? like if i have gore-gruntas with Gore-hackas, but i say they have the pig-choppas in advance? i understand that i can't enter a tournament with empty paintbottles and say it's  a couple of gore-gruntas but if it is the same model just a different weapon, is there rly a problem? cause this will save me more time and money :D

Outside of proper tournaments, tell them at the start and no one should mind :) 

Yes proxy is fine. 

BUT I recently got my maw krusha and decided to ask a friend to help me out with the magnetizing.   He magnetized his x-wing ships.   He happened to have just the size I needed which was lucky, but would have only cost me about $2 or less if I had bought them.  He had the hand drill and drill bits as well, but i understand they aren't that expensive either.  So over the next few days i worked at drilling into the arms and hands of all the pieces.  It was much easier than I  thought, just took patience. (watch the polarities of the magnets.  Mark the sides you intend to glue! ><).  Glued the mini magnets in and boom, now I can switch out his weapons as needed, no remembering or reminding necessary.  Hard to explain just how satisfying it is to see the weapons go on. 

So, I didn't do it with my brutes, because I had them before this. I am constantly wishing I had asked about it when putting them together.  I also keep thinking about busting their arms off and fixing them.   Not the end of the world.

one thing about Ironjawz is that all of their available units are viable options in the army, for the most part, depending on how you build it out. your given, most include are Brutes and a Maw-Crusha; this will be the bulk of your offensive output.  i use that as my core and build out from there.   also don't forget, take what you really like and will enjoy painting!

On 5/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, Superninja said:

Yes proxy is fine. 

BUT I recently got my maw krusha and decided to ask a friend to help me out with the magnetizing.   He magnetized his x-wing ships.   He happened to have just the size I needed which was lucky, but would have only cost me about $2 or less if I had bought them.  He had the hand drill and drill bits as well, but i understand they aren't that expensive either.  So over the next few days i worked at drilling into the arms and hands of all the pieces.  It was much easier than I  thought, just took patience. (watch the polarities of the magnets.  Mark the sides you intend to glue! ><).  Glued the mini magnets in and boom, now I can switch out his weapons as needed, no remembering or reminding necessary.  Hard to explain just how satisfying it is to see the weapons go on. 

So, I didn't do it with my brutes, because I had them before this. I am constantly wishing I had asked about it when putting them together.  I also keep thinking about busting their arms off and fixing them.   Not the end of the world.

Maybe i'll invest in magnets and some tools for it :)  Do citadel have the tools or would you recommend any particular brand? army painter perhaps? 

I absolutely fell in love with the Fungoid Cave-Shaman so he is definitely going in on my list. hope i don't make a fool out of myself. 

about the Ironjawz book, is it worth buying at this moment? or should i wait for the new release of AoS? or is it just the generals handbook that's changing? 
Sorry about the stupid questions :P 

So mostly peeps like to see “what you see is what you get” (WYSIWYG) at tournaments because people can’t make “mistakes” then 

“oh yeah this dude is actually equipped to have 4 attacks not 2” range”  it can and does save confusion and mistakes, however one awesom thing about Brutes is even with there 1” weapon it’s still okay to have them as a 10 man unit it just means a more loose formation and occasionally you might not get all fighting (we had a post about it on this forum, it think it was called “Brutes weapon options” where I took a photo to show how  it effected things.) 

Also Brutes with 2” can be used in 5 man units to hug a character or stand behind other Brutes or Ardboyz so in all honestly Both weapon options are cool, I’d probably aim for 20 models (to start with) 10 of each as you will probably settle with 10 & 2x5 once you see how hard 10 hit ? then over time work yourself up to 30-40 #BRUTES

P.S I LIKE BRUTES

P.P.S This forum really is awesome and has a lot of old articles off the front page worth a look thru don’t be a afraid to lose an hour delving deeper Megaboss Gork helps us fight hard but Mork makes know how to fight harder 

21 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

So mostly peeps like to see “what you see is what you get” (WYSIWYG) at tournaments because people can’t make “mistakes” then 

“oh yeah this dude is actually equipped to have 4 attacks not 2” range”  it can and does save confusion and mistakes, however one awesom thing about Brutes is even with there 1” weapon it’s still okay to have them as a 10 man unit it just means a more loose formation and occasionally you might not get all fighting (we had a post about it on this forum, it think it was called “Brutes weapon options” where I took a photo to show how  it effected things.) 

Also Brutes with 2” can be used in 5 man units to hug a character or stand behind other Brutes or Ardboyz so in all honestly Both weapon options are cool, I’d probably aim for 20 models (to start with) 10 of each as you will probably settle with 10 & 2x5 once you see how hard 10 hit ? then over time work yourself up to 30-40 #BRUTES

P.S I LIKE BRUTES

P.P.S This forum really is awesome and has a lot of old articles off the front page worth a look thru don’t be a afraid to lose an hour delving deeper Megaboss Gork helps us fight hard but Mork makes know how to fight harder 

It seems like most people like the brutes, does that make the ardboyz obsolete? like it is even worth buying them? I have a couple of hours of spare time tonight so ill give it a read! 

The Ardboys are certainly worth it.  They end up with more wounds due to more models and have the possibility for a 2nd chance to avoid wounds when you allocate to an ardboy with a shield.  So they tend to be more of a 'tarpit' unit that you want your opponent to focus on.  They are also our cheapest/main way to get a unit of 20-30 models without using allies.   They do not typically do as much damage as the brutes though.  

Malakree has an excellent post on equipping the ardboys, I would try to find that article as well.

The Brute boss is capable of -2 rend, which is super important.  Ardboys are 0 rend or -1 depending on setup, Gore-gruntas are -1 rend and 0 rend for the mount.  So for our non-leader units the brutes are the only way to get some respectable rend (-2).   Since we have a less ways to cause Mortal wounds than other armies, getting more rend is typically important.  Many armies can ignore our standard -1 rend.

I wouldn't buy ardboys directly, but they are in the weirdnob warband box and the start collecting box, so typically you end up with 20-30.     

TLDR: Brutes=damage, look cool!

Ardboys=tarpit, higher numbers of models to take/hold objectives, screen other units, protect other units, stand by weirdnob shaman for his bonuses.

I have red some posts on the forum and have some serious thinking to do! I think my next move is gonna be to buy a box of wierdnob warband, a mawkrusha and a Fungoid cave shaman, and then take it from there :)

Thanks a lot for all the answers and input! Such a nice community! :)

Archived