AoS 2 and what it means for Destruction

Soulsmith

Hey Megabosses and Cave Shamans, thought I would start a thread where we can discuss what we think the slowly revealing AoS 2 changes will mean for our alliance and the factions therein.

Personally, being able to use any command ability, not just the general, will give some nice flexibility to my ironjawz list. I can use the fungoid early to help with movement, and then pop the megaboss when things get fighty.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No shooting out of combat is a huge buff for destruction armies, if you can tie up their heavy hitting shooters then your characters are safe that much longer to boost/reinforce the list. Getting downfield and locked into the shooters will be more important than ever but it is now a more effective counter to shooting lists.

With new command ability rules i think we will got updated next warscrolls:

Megaboss on Maw-crusha

Megaboss

Orruk Warboss on Wyvern

Orruk Warboss

Grot Big Boss on Gigantic Spider

Grot Warboss

Wurrgog Prophet

Savage Big Boss

2 hours ago, Imperial said:

Maw krusha + cave-shaman will be nice combo in new edition! 

I hope this happens. However, The harbinger hero's had to have been written with this in mind. So it might explain why they say if this model is your general you can use this command ability. ?

Thinking of BCR, there are a few methods for getting into ranged units fast. But the best method is with sabers as they're so cheap and have a deepstrike mechanic. They also get +3 to charge with the hunter so it's 6+ on two dice. Yhetees can just waltz into combat via a long pile in.

Maybe not enough (alone) to boost all round but I think a skal becomes a pretty handy thing for suppressing weaker ranged units.

Double command ability is a bit sad for BCR haha

The scenario changes in GHB will be interesting, as will a "more tactical" double turn.

Looking at the everwinters blessing results I like them all now with this potential new meta (perhaps its a 'magic' meta, a 'hug ranged' meta or a 'fast melee' meta, a 'skirmish'  meta or even a 'strong mixed function units meta'). Rerolling saves is good, Moving 3" is great, the dice roll of 6 required for the last two is still a bit rubbish  but you'll, in principle, want at least all ranged in the enemy army near a frost saber and you'll be trying to reach other targets with other models. So that's a bit better than before (maybe?)

Truth be told though, the raiders still need a bit more juice to start any winning streaks, but I think, with no further information available than that which has been teased, that its already looking a bit rosier than before. This applies to a number of destruction factions I think.

PS Kunnin rukk lists are just pounded now. 1 Model in combat with the unit and nothing (well unclear if its okay to fire into the unit attacking you or not yet, still not firing at the better targets).

9 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

You will be able to take multiple spiderfang because bosses and chain there buff across your army. 

They may restrict it like spells so that you can only use a specific command ability once per round.  I expect that will be the case or else there will be some really crazy stuff that happens.

But that said, it does mean that multiple Spider Bosses will be good for getting their buff to where it will be most useful in any particular round and also for redundancy.  I like that because the Spider Boss is also a pretty decent fighting character for his cost.

5 hours ago, Superninja said:

image.png.a305c92b0991d45b902cbb60484adc2f.png

WOW.  I also can't wait to see what that does!!!

That thing really should have been painted green...

That aside, these spells appear to be aligned to the winds of magic & the realms.  This is obviously some form of Beast Magic.  I hope that they have some sort of Waaagh! magic spell effect in addition to the various generic winds of magic effects.

In other news, that spell effect would make a good base for a Colossal Squig kitbash.

7 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

So anyone think its confirmed that Destruction, or at least orruks, will now have the lore of Beasts as their "choose a spell" thing? Or will the lore of the big/little waagh just come back?

Both I hope.

In regards to Bonesplitterz, the Savage Big Boss just got a lot better with the news that you can use command abilities from any heroes. 

I expect that the warscrolls for Moonclan will change a fair bit when their battletome comes out, but until then it will be nice to be able to use the command ability from the Warboss without losing access to other command abilities and possibly using a more durable character as the general - such as the Squig rider boss.

The new magic supplement makes me a lot more excited about the Fugus shaman.  He is a cool model with a number of neat abilities, but within Moonclan I find his personal spell to be of fairly little use compared to a standard shaman.  He really needs access to a spell list of some sort and then he would be great.

Guys.

We don't know anything about how the command ability will work.

Maybe it will work as today.

Maybe you'll only be able to use one per turn.

Or maybe a command ability will be one per game only. 

Maybe it just mean that non general can take inspiring presence

Maybe it won't stack... or it will ?

Maybe every within will be wholly within

Maybe it will need command point

Maybe command ability will be generic (using a dice) and non tied to specific characters

So why do people are planing lists or future playstile using NOTHING as a base ?

11 minutes ago, ledha said:

So why do people are planing lists or future playstile using NOTHING as a base ?

Who is planning lists?  Mainly what I see is people having fun speculating and prognosticating based on the little information that dripped out.

Currently I find that destruction will not have much to contribute to the story. 

The Ironjaws and Beastclaw Raiders had their glory before. 

Ironjaws were scary but almost always lose to shooty list.

Then came the nerf.. So many good list made unusable.

The single Fanatics release made awesome control for charge phase and the nerf of it made it disappeared..

Next it was the Stornhorn which also makes shooty list almost guarantee win..

The Bonesplitterz also are weak against shooty list, especially character sniping.

With the changes to shooting there are so much that might change..

Melee focused, fast and tanky seems to be our game in pitched battle..

I felt that only the old system of models count with a cap on wounds can make the Ironjaws and Beastclaw top dogs.. 

Really hope for a Grot battletome..  And seeing  some new grot based army win a major tournament.. once..

Somehow it seems that Grots are not suppose to thrive in the Beast Realm.. No matter where they are they are just annoyance and never a threat.. So maybe just maybe they can consider making them threatening..

But they had been building that hype with the Skaven.. Numbers uncountable and deadly.. 

Just really don't see how deadly destruction will ever be in the current story..

5 hours ago, gnaleinad said:

Just really don't see how deadly destruction will ever be in the current story..

We talking lore or meta? Lorewise greenskins even in fantasy are rarely big players, they're an eternal threat and menace. Turn up, rampage, leave. They just get a bit overshadowed. But that doesn't mean they don't have a chance in AOS.

Also goblins do just fine in Ghur. They're less about numbers, as you're right, that is the skavens thing. AoS grots will undoubtedly be focused on squigs and mad technology (but not quite skaven mad) - hopefully combined.

At this point we just have to wait and see.

But one thing is a major win for us: Shooting out of combat is banned! That means that we can now strategically engange shooting units to block them from shooting on our most important units. Great stuff.

I reckon (but don't know) that chargers will go first. If so, that would be a major win for us too.

2 hours ago, Anaticula said:

At this point we just have to wait and see.

But one thing is a major win for us: Shooting out of combat is banned! That means that we can now strategically engange shooting units to block them from shooting on our most important units. Great stuff.

I reckon (but don't know) that chargers will go first. If so, that would be a major win for us too.

Yea, cheap skirmish cavalry like wolf riders and spider riders may have a good presence in lists for tying up.

Archived