Feculant Gnarlmaws

Nightscrive

Question

I apologise if this has been asked or talked about before but I don't seem to be able to find any info on it so I'm making my first post about it.

Tonight in a game a Nurgle player friend was claiming that the rule where units within 3 inches can take mortal wounds would activate every hero phase (both his and his mine) because the wording is "in the hero phase." I was saying that the word "the" would indicate a specific hero phase IE his hero phase otherwise it would state in each hero phase and he was saying that it says "in your hero phase" on other warscrolls.

It wasn't a point of contention because I had  no units in range of the ability and neither of us are contentious players but we're both "rule guys" and like to get things right.

The only reason I can see for this that makes sense is that they say "the" in case there are two Nurgle players playing against each other in which case all Nurgle players could activate any and all trees in either of their hero phases but I'm not sure.

What does everyone think? Did we miss something obvious or is there no clear answer here and it needs to be FAQed?

Would appreciate any and all help.

Thank you

4 answers to this question

The Gnawlmaw is a Scenary Piece. It doesn't belong to the Nurgles army and so activates everytime it can (like any other Scenary for example a Sylvaneth wildwood). The rule only says in which phase it's activated.

In other cases instead of "in the herophase" they would have used "in the Nurgle Players herophase"

4 hours ago, EMMachine said:

The Gnawlmaw is a Scenary Piece. It doesn't belong to the Nurgles army and so activates everytime it can (like any other Scenary for example a Sylvaneth wildwood). The rule only says in which phase it's activated.

In other cases instead of "in the herophase" they would have used "in the Nurgle Players herophase"

So in your opinion it would only activate in Nurgle player's hero phase and if they were both Nurgle players it would activate in both players hero phase.

What do you think about how my Deepkin scenery piece says "in your hero phase" and is more specific?  Is that because they've learned to be more specific? I'm curious because there's no FAQ for it. 

Thanks for answering. 

Gnarlmaws are every hero phase.

It's like if you are explaining to an alien where you pee, you say "in the bathroom".

It's not a specific bathroom. It's in the bathroom. If you attribute specificity to 'the' you have to say "It's in bathroom". Which makes no sense.

For an alien you might say "In any and all bathrooms" but we, the players of AoS, aren't aliens so GW didn't think of that approach. Therefore their FAQs are full of preposition clarifications. Largely.

12 hours ago, Nightscrive said:

So in your opinion it would only activate in Nurgle player's hero phase and if they were both Nurgle players it would activate in both players hero phase.

What do you think about how my Deepkin scenery piece says "in your hero phase" and is more specific?  Is that because they've learned to be more specific? I'm curious because there's no FAQ for it. 

Thanks for answering. 

No, like I said before, Scenary belongs to nobody (it's not part of a players armylist), so it must activate it's abilities every time it could.

You can play a Feculant Gnarlmaw, or a Gloomtide Shipwreck even if no Player plays Nurgle or Deepkin do to Page 1 of Basic rules.

So, would you say that these wouldn't have abilities at all because the army they are coming from isn't on the table?

In your hero phase could only mean, that the aktive Player is Rolling the dice.

Archived