Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

I haven't seen the how to play videos but what's wrong? I know during all the point leaks, there was a lot of info that was somewhat wrong. For example, people kept saying Gordrakk was 60-80 points (the 80 points supposedly coming from Stormcast itself) but was just 40 points. So I know wrong information has been spread before.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, carnith said:

I haven't seen the how to play videos but what's wrong? I know during all the point leaks, there was a lot of info that was somewhat wrong. For example, people kept saying Gordrakk was 60-80 points (the 80 points supposedly coming from Stormcast itself) but was just 40 points. So I know wrong information has been spread before.

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be the first turn roll off (or lack of a roll off). The rules suggest that you roll off regardless of who goes first, whereas the video just had the person who deployed first go first

6 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I think AoS 2.0 is gonna fall into the trap that 40k 7th did.

to many books??? because if thats so i think maybe. With spells, core rule book, generals hand book, and battle tome stuff is abit too split up.  I think the core rule book as a product could have been a generals hand book really... 

On 6/18/2018 at 3:31 AM, Mcthew said:

Yet, oddly, in the Soul Wars boxed set they've included what the Matched Play minimum unit sizes are in the campaign book, which could leave you a little short-changed and wondering what you've paid for. You wouldn't get a decent Matched Play army out of either side in the boxed set, tbh, without buying more models. That's good sense for GW I guess, but for a competitive gamer, that £95 you're shelling out for the new starter set, is only the tip of an expensive ice-berg! ?

The matched play minimum unit sizes in the campaign book are different from the Generals handbook. (Namely they make more sense, with what you get.) 

No, you don't need many things to start AoS 2 a contrario to 40K. 

You need: free rules and manage to build your army trough the FREE app of GW warscroll-builder which contains the points. All the warscrolls are free. The only optional thing is the magic. 

So, in this aspect, AoS 2 is relatively cheap to start with.

22 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

You need: free rules and manage to build your army trough the FREE app of GW warscroll-builder which contains the points. All the warscrolls are free. The only optional thing is the magic. 

Are warscroll battalions free as well? I think the app requires you to buy them.

3 minutes ago, Raviv said:

Are warscroll battalions free as well? I think the app requires you to buy them.

You have to buy them.  You can't see what the requirements are without buying them (and the army-builder section of the app doesn't check for meeting them whether you own them or not).

27 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

But this means you have no rules, no battalions, no spells, you don't even know if the army you are making is legal if it has unit upgrades and you have to have opponents that play the game the same way, and not the way matched played is normally done. Ah and lets not forget that even if you do have a battletome you still the most up to date general handbook, or you maybe investing in to load outs or armies that aren't even legal.

So I don't think that AoS rules can be considered cheap, ah and we are assuming your not playing soup of some sort either.

I agree that there are more things you need to have to play competitively, or even in a "go down to the store and play a pick up game with a stranger" sort of way that requires a more solid rules footing as a neutral starting point.  But to play casually at your club with like-minded folk?  Same as it ever was, more or less.  Someone in the room has a GHB to read battleplans from, someone else has the spell box, everyone has the app for their own scrolls with their own battletomes.

37 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I agree that there are more things you need to have to play competitively, or even in a "go down to the store and play a pick up game with a stranger" sort of way that requires a more solid rules footing as a neutral starting point.  But to play casually at your club with like-minded folk?  Same as it ever was, more or less.  Someone in the room has a GHB to read battleplans from, someone else has the spell box, everyone has the app for their own scrolls with their own battletomes.

Completely agree.  You don't need a battle tome to play with an army because they can have allegiance to the grand alliance, the rules for which are in the GHB.  The only time you need all the extra stuff is if you're trying to be competitive, and if you're doing that with a miniatures game I hope you're prepared to spend tons of cash anyway.  

20 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Completely agree.  You don't need a battle tome to play with an army because they can have allegiance to the grand alliance, the rules for which are in the GHB.  The only time you need all the extra stuff is if you're trying to be competitive, and if you're doing that with a miniatures game I hope you're prepared to spend tons of cash anyway.  

It's not even quite that loosey-goosey.  You can still play at a quite high level with just your battletome - all of the surrounding books can be owned by someone else in the room.  I've seen my(former ?) club have 9 tables going at once, all playing MalPo matched play games, with like 2 copies of MalPo and 4 GH2017s in the room.

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

But this means you have no rules, no battalions, no spells, you don't even know if the army you are making is legal if it has unit upgrades and you have to have opponents that play the game the same way, and not the way matched played is normally done. Ah and lets not forget that even if you do have a battletome you still the most up to date general handbook, or you maybe investing in to load outs or armies that aren't even legal.

So I don't think that AoS rules can be considered cheap, ah and we are assuming your not playing soup of some sort either.

Im not sure what you mean. 

You only lose out on the battalions and the allegiance abilities. 

The scrollbuilder is enough to build any army, as they even show cases of "battleline-if" units.  And im not aware of any changes made by previous General Handbooks that made an army illegal. 

But if you want to play only matched play you don't need Core Book for Core Rules (just download them from the site), same goes for warscrolls (even for Endless Spells). You only need GHB for points and Battletome (if your army have one). Most of the additional rules are probably not going to be used in tournaments, so no need to panic.

3 minutes ago, michu said:

But if you want to play only matched play you don't need Core Book for Core Rules (just download them from the site), same goes for warscrolls (even for Endless Spells). You only need GHB for points and Battletome (if your army have one). Most of the additional rules are probably not going to be used in tournaments, so no need to panic.

Some Battleplans and especially the realm artifacts and spells (the former being rumoured to be matched play legal) are within the Core Book.

25 minutes ago, michu said:

And, as other already said, you don't even need GHB for points, Warscroll Builder is free, from GW and it gives you the points.

Of course one can say "but you need battleplans, realm artifacts, realm rules and all of that!" yes, it all falls down to at what level you want to play in matched play.

If you "just want to play" you only need the minis, rules (free), warscrolls(free) and some dice and a table (ofc you can play on the floor) just like AoS1.0 no changes here, even the new spells can be kitbashed from other bits (the swords one could be made from weapons from your own army, that could give the mini some great visuals IMO) and their rules are on the free App. The only thing you could want to buy (if your army have one) is the battletome.

@michu 

That's a rather naive view on the issue.

The matter of the fact is, you no longer get everything you need for matched play with just the GHB (and obviously your battletome), which in addition got more expansive as well.

(we are ignoring battalions that are plastered through different releases and media this time, as this is an old issue)

The fear that GW is trying to pull a 40k is quite real, they are probably pissed that they made the warscrolls free to begin with. Otherwise they would extort us with new mandatory grand alliance books for some updated scrolls.

Just to try and reduce this all down.  From the 30th, the following items will be available to us as players of Age of Sigmar.

Core Rules - Contains how to play Age of Sigmar and the Battleplan "First Blood"

Core Book - Contains details on collecting a realm based army (including realm artefacts & spells), triumphs, "mega" battle rules, in depth details on each of the 3 ways to play, campaigns, Triumph & Treachery (multiplayer), Sieges, Tunnel fighting.

Generals Handbook - Contains 18 Matched Play Battleplans, expansion on the 3 ways to play, aerial battle rules, summoning rules, allegiance abilities and artefacts for most factions, updated scenery rules, Pitched Battle Points with allies matrix.  This book gets superseded every year with a new version.

Malign Sorcery - Contains 13 endless spells (plus rules for the new Balewind)

Malign Portents - Contains a number of battleplans and rules for playing games within the Dread Solstice period of Age of Sigmar, leading up to the Soul Wars

Warscroll Builder - An online list building tool that allows you to construct an army list with Pitched Battle Points

Warscrolls - Available from the main GW website, locate your model/box set and there will be Warscrolls available to download for them which contain the rules for individual units

Battletomes - Faction specific books that contain special rules for a particular army.  Most contain allegiance abilities and artefacts

You can quite feasibly play Open, Narrative and Matched Play games without the need to purchase anything and just use the downloadable rules, warscrolls and Warscroll Builder.  You even have a Battleplan in the Core Rules and there are plenty of them available online.

If you're looking to play tournaments, then you're going to be expected to at least have access to the Matched Play Battleplans in the latest version of the Generals Handbook.  This would also give you access to allegiance abilities for the army you're playing.

Where things start to get more tricky is if you want to play a realm based faction with it's own battletome as you're going to need the Core Book (realm of battle rules) and faction Battletome in addition to the Generals Handbook.

4 minutes ago, Xasz said:

@michu 

That's a rather naive view on this issue.

The matter of the fact is, you no longer get everything you need for matched play with just the GHB (and obviously your battletome), which in addition got more expansive as well.

The point is that you don't need "everything" to play Matched Play.  The Core Rules, Generals Handbook and a Battletome will provide everything you need to play a Matched Play game - in fact you have even more variety than we do now as there are 18 Matched Play Battleplans in the new handbook.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Just to try and reduce this all down.  From the 30th, the following items will be available to us as players of Age of Sigmar.

Core Rules - Contains how to play Age of Sigmar and the Battleplan "First Blood"

Core Book - Contains details on collecting a realm based army (including realm artefacts & spells), triumphs, "mega" battle rules, in depth details on each of the 3 ways to play, campaigns, Triumph & Treachery (multiplayer), Sieges, Tunnel fighting.

Generals Handbook - Contains 18 Matched Play Battleplans, expansion on the 3 ways to play, aerial battle rules, summoning rules, allegiance abilities and artefacts for most factions, updated scenery rules, Pitched Battle Points with allies matrix.  This book gets superseded every year with a new version.

Malign Sorcery - Contains 13 endless spells (plus rules for the new Balewind)

(...)

Excellent list ! Isn't it quite a great time to play AOS  :D 

Just some things : 

The Core Book contains 1 spell per Realms but no artefact IIRC ; it's "just" command traits / special abilities for the battle.

It also has rules for the 3 ways to play, and Endless spells + Balewind vortex.

It has IIRC the 6 matched play battleplans from GHB2016 (updated) ; the 12 other (6 updated from GHB2017 and 6 new) are in the GHB2018. 

Malign Sorcery has 6 spells per realms and (many) artefacts, and on top of that the Endless spells rules (again) + the 13 spells from the box.

(And 2 more magic themed MATCHED PLAY Battle plan, for a total of 20). 

Archived