Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

42 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Yeah that's pretty much the math he did, too. (That and using Evocators to reroll wounds too)

But then maybe I can just put a Carnosaur in front of the Slann so the Ballistas cannot see him.

Or deploy the Slann out of range ;)

A Carnosaur won't effectively block the view, unfortunately. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Or deploy the Slann out of range ;)

A Carnosaur won't effectively block the view, unfortunately. 

How? Those things have 36" range. On everything except the largest tables there is no place that is far enough away. He will deploy them last so he will most likely be in range.

An Eternity Warden might give me an additional round of the Slann being alive though. And then hope that I can get a chaff unit near those ballistas to take the shots.

Or try one of those new palisades.

Probably won't work in small games though. Too many points.

6 minutes ago, christophe said:

Do you guys think they will update the warscrolls (cost mainly) for the shadespire warbands ?

I know that the matched play profiles for shadespire warbands are in the Generals Handbook 2018 but I don't remember any points.

3 minutes ago, Aginor said:

How? Those things have 36" range. On everything except the largest tables there is no place that is away far enough. He will deploy them last so he will most likely be in range.

Right. That'll usually mean, if he puts them on the 12 inch deployment line, that he'd have his artillery way out of position. Does Slann get 'look out sir'? - Could be worth baiting him into a bad position like that by deploying your Slann on the table edge, forcing him to leave his high-value stuff out in the open to get the shot.

Alternatively, you could just deploy behind terrain. The game doesn't work properly without it.

3 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Man I really love that if you're within 3" of a unit you can only shoot that unit. It really opens up some tactical and strategic movement. 

Yeah. That's one of my favourite changes! The new pile-in rules are really smooth as well.

Had a game using most of the new rules (from the index), and those stood out as truly enjoyable improvements. The command point system and the new command abilities are also really great. Feels like a new game, in the best of ways :)

Indeed. The SCE ballista unfortunately is a bad example since it is a war machine that does not have minimum range or snipeable crew, profits from a cover bonus and in fact gets better once the targets are closer. It also has a great save for a war machine and quite some wounds.

So it will shoot those chaff units very quickly and probably won't be harmed by them much.

2 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Indeed. The SCE ballista unfortunately is a bad example since it is a war machine that does not have minimum range or snipeable crew, profits from a cover bonus and in fact gets better once the targets are closer. It also has a great save for a war machine and quite some wounds.

So it will shoot those chaff units very quickly and probably won't be harmed by them much.

Every round they spend shooting at your chaff is a favourable round for you.

8 minutes ago, Aginor said:

If only there was some way to teleport a literal monster, or two, 9'' away from their exposed front, with the potential for some clever command point re-rolling to charge if a hero gets close enough, or if it's a hero itself (Carnosaur) ;)

Ah, but I don't know how Seraphon could pull that off ?

1 minute ago, CaptainNippon said:

Every round they spend shooting at your chaff is a favourable round for you.

As long as I have enough chaff, yes. I guess summoning Skinks each round and teleporting them to the ballistas in the next round might work.

1 minute ago, Mayple said:

If only there was some way to teleport a literal monster, or two, 9'' away from theie exposed flank, with the potential for some clever command point re-rolling to charge if a hero gets close enough, or if it's a hero itself (Carnosaur) ;)

Ah, but I don't know how you'd pull that off ?

If the SCE player is not dumb he will protect the flanks with Liberators or so.

1 hour ago, Bellfree said:

It takes 3 ballista with the Lord Ordinator buff and CA to kill a Slann in one turn assuming Look out Sir. So that's 440pts and a CP. Doable but a significant investment.

The slann wont benefit from look out sir will it? Is it not a monster?

6 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

The new Prismatic Palisade is another option to mitigate incoming fire. 

Definitely.

I wonder if that will do much though, as I don't know yet how dispelling them exactly works. If it is easy the palisade will not do much.

Btw does anyone know how long that palisade is? It looks like 160mm - 180mm or so on pictures.

2 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Definitely.

I wonder if that will do much though, as I don't know yet how dispelling them exactly works. If it is easy the palisade will not do much.

Btw does anyone know how long that palisade is? It looks like 160mm - 180mm or so on pictures.

He has to be in range to dispell it, and it works a bit differently than normal dispelling, so he might not get the 30" range on that (I'm probably wrong on this last part, mind you)

Plus, if you're using it defensively, there's no way he'll be able to reach it with any dispelling, seeing as how the only thing that -can- reach you, is the incredibly long-ranged artillery ;) So that's a very valid way of protecting yourself. Build a nest, breed an  army of skinks. 

"When you’re writing your lists, you’ll have the option to purchase endless spells using points, with matched play profiles found in both the Malign Sorcery book and the General’s Handbook 2018. Purchasing a spell for your army means any Wizard can cast it as many times as they like. The only restrictions are that a Wizard can attempt to summon just one endless spell per turn, and a single player can’t summon more than one of the same endless spell in a matched play game."

at last, we know now how it officialy works!

Interesting thing about the palisade:

There is a trade off between putting it close to the enemy and putting it near your troops.

Close to the enemy it blocks a wider part of the firing arc but can dispelled more easily and they can move more easily around it.

If it is close to you it is harder to dispell, and blocks incoming fire against that one unit behind it better.

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

"When you’re writing your lists, you’ll have the option to purchase endless spells using points, with matched play profiles found in both the Malign Sorcery book and the General’s Handbook 2018. Purchasing a spell for your army means any Wizard can cast it as many times as they like. The only restrictions are that a Wizard can attempt to summon just one endless spell per turn, and a single player can’t summon more than one of the same endless spell in a matched play game."

at last, we know now how it officialy works!

Thanks!

I had hoped for more than one of the same though.

It also means that BWV + something else in the same round won't work. Which is understandable but I would liked to be able to do that with my Slann.

Archived