Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

Just got an email about the planned MWG coverage this week:

Thursday:  TWO Battle Reports, and a full summary of changes from 1st to 2nd Edition

Friday:  TWO MORE Battle Reports, and a full review of Malign Sorcery

Saturday:  TWO MORE Battle Reports, and a full review of the General's Handbook, AND the epic finale of our Age of Sigmar narrative campaign, played with 2nd edition rules (that's 6 videos in total!)

That’s my weekend sorted!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Thursday:  TWO Battle Reports, and a full summary of changes from 1st to 2nd Edition

Friday:  TWO MORE Battle Reports, and a full review of Malign Sorcery

Saturday:  TWO MORE Battle Reports, and a full review of the General's Handbook, AND the epic finale of our Age of Sigmar narrative campaign, played with 2nd edition rules (that's 6 videos in total!)

oh boy, I'm getting giddy

Based off her description, I can already predict a few of her abilities. It states that those facing her in battle are filled with despair and grief, so I'm guessing she causes -1 or -2 to Bravery to enemy units within range. It says she uses death magic, so as a Mortarch, she will likely be casting two per turn, possibly three. It also describes her as a schemer and plotter, so I see her as moreso a support type character rather than a physical fighter. I predict three different weapons, a ranged, a melee, and then an attack for the banshee attendants. The chest and hourglass will likely be named artifacts she has, with abilities of their own. 

4 minutes ago, Still-young said:

The Mortarch model was admittedly a bit disappointing to start with but she’s grown on me. As others have said, I think some paint jobs will make it look stunning. 

I think some of us were disappointed (half of us ?) because we were spoiled lately. Seeing how impressive are the new NH, the small heroes for exemple, if they are 10, you imagine the boss to be an 11... The black coach as well is over the top... And the art was awesome...

Plus, we remember how awesome were the DoK and the ID... It's why I am sad, in my book I can't put the new Mortarch in the same league as Morathi and the Eidolon...

+++ Mod Hat On +++

@BenOutTheDen / @Turragor - Just a gentle poke. Glad you've both agreed to not continue the conversation but in the future I want you to please be wary about your tone (especially you @BenOutTheDen). This forum is for everybody and we want it to be a happy place for everybody to enjoy but unfortunately we've had a few reports about this thread. Constructive criticism is good but this was heading towards that place where we don't want to go. Please think about what you are posting in the future.

Cheers

She's a good model and I like the concept of the skull underneath a veil - that's the sculptors showing off, just as gecktron's images - but it seems to have been pulled off better with the myrmourn banshees and the lord executioner. Could be the white scheme though. 

Remember when GW first did the tyranids in the hive fleet leviathan scheme? Didn't look great, however the 'eavy metal team did the white it ended up looking washed out and not showing off the detail. They got a lot of stick for it but the models generally looked better in other schemes which lent themselves better to clear definition.

Otherwise the pose is great and I like that she's not a colossal celetant-prime sized model.  Speaking of definition though, the chest area has rather more of it than I would've expected for, y'know, a ghost...

EDIT: You know I think I like that it is such a stripped down sculpt compared to the big mortarch box or Nagash himself. Clean lines and smooth textures, less ridged armour and infill of skulls. Not dynamic, certainly, but makes her look like she's drifting forward in stately fashion. Most of the other nightgaunt models we've seen have a much more frenetic sense of movement so she would look good surrounded by the swarms of more action-y ghosts like the spirit hosts or grimghast wraiths.

The sculpt is a tad too clean for my liking, would have preferred something more like the artwork or like the other nighthaunt...but I guess she offers a good contrast. I can't wait to see what conversion people come up with her too, she'd make some awesome vampires and sylvaneth/wood aelf conversions. 

She very much reminds me of la Santa Muerte, so much so that I can't shake the image. 

I really dig her. Love the ghostliness. Although it has nothing to do with her revealed background, she resembles an ancient bride left at the altar. Like a Miss Havisham kinda character, mad with grief.

9 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Are you sure about all of this? Castigators come in a unit of 5 in the new box so groups of 3 seems unlikely. 

They are 3 for 80 or 18 for 400 in the starter set.

9 hours ago, Aginor said:

Btw has anyone mentioned yet what that SCE ballista is going to cost?

Mixed feelings on the Mortarch model. Such a fantastic job on turning the traditional Sheet Ghost Halloween costume into something spooky.

However, I hate models that are connected to the base by a very thin piece of plastic. Especially if it's holding up a ton of weight.

The stormcast artillery piece seems fairly strong at 120. We'll see how it fairs. I have a feeling GA: O lists will take 4 with an ordinator and maybe a hurricanum for anything within range getting it's multishot down to a 3+.

I had the chance to quickly flip through a physical copy of the rulebook today.  I can confirm that who finishes deploying first gets to take the first turn.

The book is quite pretty.  There is a lot of background and fluff in it.  In fact, I would say that a fair majority of the book is given over to that.  

The section devoted to the Age of Myth is pretty small and each page is mainly artwork we have seen before and a very short paragraph bubble.  So sadly it does not seem that they are going to flesh out the Age of Myth right now - maybe in another release down the road.  

But, the rest of the sections seemed fairly meaty (I did not have a lot of time so I was quickly skimming).  The section for the Mortal Realms was nice.  There seemed to be a nice chunk of info there.

I own every core rulebook since 5th edition Warhammer Fantasy and 2nd ed 40k and I can honestly say that this was one of the nicer core books I have seen so far.

40 minutes ago, carnith said:

The stormcast artillery piece seems fairly strong at 120. We'll see how it fairs. I have a feeling GA: O lists will take 4 with an ordinator and maybe a hurricanum for anything within range getting it's multishot down to a 3+.

Maybe, although the Helstorm is also very strong with no LOS.  I could definitely see a build using multiples of them to get very high quality free shots, and go hero sniping.  A second or third Ordinator to create a +2 or +3 to hit bubble will overcome Look Out Sir.  And if the one that is your general dies, step up number 2!  

Backed up by a Steam Tank or two prowling the backfield with its points drop (maybe even a Gunhauler,) and you have a pretty formidable gunline.

There may be other reasons for taking the Ballista in pure Stormcast / Sacrosanct armies (Battleline unlocks, Allegiance buffs, Synergies such as the Empower spell).  But if we are talking GA: O, my money is on the Helstorm currently.

16 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Maybe, although the Helstorm is also very strong with no LOS.  I could definitely see a build using multiples of them to get very high quality free shots, and go hero sniping.  A second or third Ordinator to create a +2 or +3 to hit bubble will overcome Look Out Sir.  And if the one that is your general dies, step up number 2!  

Backed up by a Steam Tank or two prowling the backfield with its points drop (maybe even a Gunhauler,) and you have a pretty formidable gunline.

There may be other reasons for taking the Ballista in pure Stormcast / Sacrosanct armies (Battleline unlocks, Allegiance buffs, Synergies such as the Empower spell).  But if we are talking GA: O, my money is on the Helstorm currently.

Luckily the ordinators don’t stack - “within any lord ordinators” :)

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

They are 3 for 80 or 18 for 400 in the starter set.

Weird. Castigators are cheaper than Judicators (currently 5 for 160), and the Balista was previously mentioned to be the same as Liberators (5 for 100). I guess at that price the Balista is still interesting but not a no-brainer.

Archived