Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

Literally just announced: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/11/warhammer-fest-live-blog-2gw-homepage-post-1/

More details to come later, but I think this is great! There are a couple of pics up of some of the new models included in what looks like the new boxed set.

Advertised as having 'cinematic sorcery' - any thoughts on what that is going to mean?

I'll update this post with all the info later.

7914752_AoS2.jpg.a8c197087671d5022bf3cf64afc51df6.jpg

CONFIRMED CHANGES

GENERIC RULES CHANGES

Command Points: Command points have been added to the game. All we know so far is that you'll get a Command Point each 'turn' (unsure whether this means each of your turns, or each game turn). For each battalion in your army, you gain an additional Command Point. Command Points can be spent on allowing your general, and other heroes in your army, to use their command abilities, which is a fairly important change to the game mechanics. All heroes in an army have access to 3 new 'standard' command abilities, that are spent in the relevant phase as opposed to the Hero Phase. You gain additional command points per 50pts you do not spend on units for your army.

Summoning: At least some armies, including Hosts of Slaanesh, will be able to summon units without costing reinforcement points by using their faction-specific generated currency. Blood Tithe, Depravity, that sort of thing. As of 29/05/18 it is confirmed that there are no longer reinforcement points at all in AoS.

Turn Priority: Roll off for who goes first each Battleround as before. In the event of a draw, the player who went first in the previous round can decide who goes first. Reduces your chances of getting double-turned, basically.

More Spells: All casters now have access to at least seven spells from each of the seven realms, depending on which you're fighting in. Currently no information how this will affect Matched Play.

Endless Spells: Spells that most likely (though not confirmed) cost points. These are cast like normal spells, but once summoned, can be controlled by either player taking it in turns, starting in the second player turn in a battleround. Carnage!

DEPLOYMENT

HERO PHASE

See Command Points.

Unbinding Spells: Range now increased to a whopping 30" so you can ruin people's casting from the safety of your back-lines.

MOVEMENT PHASE

At the Double! A new Command Ability that can be used via Command Points to give an instant 6" run to a unit within 6" of a Hero, or 12" of a General.

SHOOTING PHASE

No Shooting Out of Combat: When your units are being beaten to death by angry orcs Orruks, funnily enough they now find it somewhat challenging to make carefully aimed shots across the board at a lone squig. You can now only shoot at an enemy unit within 3" if there are enemy unit(s) within 3" of the shooting unit.

Look Out, Sir! -1 to hit with missile weapons against Heroes that are within 3" of a unit with 3 or more models. Doesn't count if they're a Monster. 

CHARGE PHASE

Forward to Victory! A new Command Ability that can be used via Command Points to allow you to re-roll your charge roll.

FIGHT PHASE

BATTLESHOCK PHASE

Inspiring Presence: The remastered version. Now, you need to spend Command Points (or a single one, we don't know yet) to allow a unit within 6" of a Hero, or within 12" of your General, to automatically pass the test. This can be used in your opponent's turn. Handy!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The box set could only be more ideal for me if it had aelves. Been after a death army for a while and the ghosts are brill. I can give the Stormcast to the kids with some Retributor spray and some wash ?

My matches and lighter fluid are quivering in anticipation!  :D

I noticed on the Command dice there's a U-turn symbol.  Hopefully that's for the "Oh hell no! Peace out!" command ability.  There's another with what looks like a little bug or tick representing the "Lyme Disease" spell.

Also the new spooky ghosts are sick!  :)

Command Points...Does this mean there will be "Stratagems" in AoS? Stratagems are one of the worst features of 40k IMO, and since Im contemplating getting back into AoS I really hope this is not the case.

Other then that, im really excited by this, and what perfect timing! 

10 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I think the general consesus is "No more shooting OUT of combat".  I like to think that an engaged unit can only shoot to the enemy engaging it.

Fingers crossed you can still at least shoot at the unit you're engaging, don't want to lose the Legolas Waywatchers!

6 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I think the general consesus is "No more shooting OUT of combat".  I like to think that an engaged unit can only shoot to the enemy engaging it.

Ah, right now I see. Although we’ve been adopting that rule for a while now.

Makes more logical sense (unless they were Kurnoth Hunters being attacked by snotlings, biting at their ankles, while a wyrven stomps up behind them - I know which would take my attention.)

Other than that, “you shoot at the ones you’re with”, yeah? ?

3 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

Advertised as having 'cinematic sorcery' - any thoughts on what that is going to mean?

It's the the purple death moon thing and others, there were some pictures of it shown. But can't find it again, haha. Showed Morathi with balls of lightning next to her. So my guess is spells that actually make something appear (like the balewind vortex) which then have an impact on the game. (most likely moving etc)

40 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

Just watched the YouTube video for it - did he just say that shooting will be part of the combat phase? Didn’t get to hear it all due to the ankle-biters here playing merry-hell!

But did he? 

He said "you cant shoot out of combat anymore" so its probably gone altogether. Which is good IMO.

As for "cinematic magic", from the pictures they have shown it looks as if magic will use models that is placed on the table, or even move along the table from turn to turn, and im guessing they affect any units within a certain range and similar. A bit like torpedoes in Battlefleet Gothic :) 

2 minutes ago, chord said:

Not a fan of the command point system.

I quite enjoy strategems in 40K, I don’t enjoy the Battleforged armies bit (or the endless points sums) that give the command points. I’ll be ok if that fit it around the existing army selection frame work. 

5 minutes ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Do I have to buy those dice now and will the rules still be free? What of the Open War cards? Did I waist $15 on something that will be invalidated in a year? Will I still get to measure from the model - I'm not rebasing everything...

Compelling story?!?9_9xD

There is a FAQ on Warhammer Community. Battletomes stay valid. Core rules and warscrolls are still Free.

You can also use normal dice instead of GW ones and Open War Cards are so light on actual rules that they shouldnt be affected.

1 hour ago, Attackmack said:

He said "you cant shoot out of combat anymore" so its probably gone altogether.

Probably not gone as that would be a pretty drastic change. Might mean that you can’t shoot on other units if you are in combat with one. 

Can also mean that you can’t shoot if you’re in combat. 

Archived