New nighthaunt spotted. !!!!!

Dracothjay

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

40K just pulled a major overhaul by simply limiting non-troop units.

Well that was only a "suggested limitation" for "organized events". Though I don't think changehost would necessarily suffer too much by being limited to 3 nonbattleline copies of each unit.  I think that if GW wants to take CH down a peg they simply need to print new lores for Tzeentch that have lower power. They learned their lesson, which is why I think that Legions of Nagash got so many utility spells and so few offensive damage ones. 

Though, personally, I think GW should consider bringing in spells that do normal damage that have a rend value rather than just all of them being MWs. Imo MWs should be more special and rare than they are now. But something akin to the old "magic missile" type from old fantasy that is limited to many of the same restrictions of shooting that allows saves and has a damage value. 

3 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I can't see Khalida and Neferata being generals for the same leader tbh, that seems incredibly unlikely, but also possibly why she's been hidden all this time. We haven't seen her miniature aside from a distant silhouette behind some trees, I'm really looking forward to the reveal though.

I could, its not like Mannfred is beloved by the other mortarchs. Khalida and Nef were together at the end of the world and she was a mortarch at that time. That said I hope Khalida comes with a rebirth of TKs in the future. The one thing that makes Khalida particularly interesting as a character is that she is not evil like the other mortarchs. I think a recreated TK army without Settra couldrepresent a death army that is actually friendly which could give them a pretty distinct identity. It would also make for an interesting dynamic with Nagash who isn't necessarily evil himself. 

Holy cow, if the mortarch is Isabella I'll be so stoked.  I've really felt like that character had a ton more potential than was ever even close to utilized.  Mortarch of Grief is... not the direction I would have gone, but still I'm hopeful.  Fingers crossed!

If GW does bring back Isabella, then all they'll need to do to fill out my wishlist is to release a revived tomb kings line (not the whole army - a new AoS minifaction that just pulls ideas from the old tomb kings would be enough for me) led by Khalida.  Play up surface level rivalries between Nef, Izzy, and Khal while they secretly work together behind the scenes to subvert Manny & Arkhan in the hopes of one day usurping Nagash and it would be like all my idle daydreams and unrealized fanfiction notes brought to life!

3 hours ago, Sception said:

Holy cow, if the mortarch is Isabella I'll be so stoked.  I've really felt like that character had a ton more potential than was ever even close to utilized.  Mortarch of Grief is... not the direction I would have gone, but still I'm hopeful.  Fingers crossed!

If GW does bring back Isabella, then all they'll need to do to fill out my wishlist is to release a revived tomb kings line (not the whole army - a new AoS minifaction that just pulls ideas from the old tomb kings would be enough for me) led by Khalida.  Play up surface level rivalries between Nef, Izzy, and Khal while they secretly work together behind the scenes to subvert Manny & Arkhan in the hopes of one day usurping Nagash and it would be like all my idle daydreams and unrealized fanfiction notes brought to life!

You know, actually, it kind of might fit for Isabella to fit as Mortarch of Grief, especially if you consider her to be in mourning for her Husband, Vlad; the coaches are for "him". Not to mention that the Black Coaches were a Van Carstein creation.

An Isabella who honored vlads sacrifice by taking up his mantle as mortarch of shadow and moving forward from there as a proactive character with agency of her own would gave been my preferred direction.

Mortarch of Grief has more continuity with her prior characterization, but remember, i thought her old characterization was painfully lacking and frankly rather retrograde.  On top of that, thousands of years have passed since oldhammer, so it's kind of jarring that so many of the characters that are still around from that time have changed so little.

Yes, the undead as a concept are in part thematically defined by an inability to move on, but I still would prefer an isabella with her own motivations, rather than her every thought still hung up on a character who, as far as AoS lore is concerned, might as well never have existed.  An izzy who has moved on could have developed motivations tied to the mortal realms.  Instead we'll have another character whose entire character arc took place on a dead world in a forgotten time.

But we'll see.  I'm excited to see her back, and as a mortarch in her own right.  I really am not pre-judging here.  IF this IS isabella, im on board regardless.  Even though i also think AoS, especially the undead, is sorely lacking in heroes rooted in the new setting, and what we need most isnt returning old faces at all so much as entirely new ones.

The fanboy in me is desperate for mortarchs Izzy or Khalida, but the more rational voice says what Grand Alliance: Death really desperately needs are mortarchs Tamra or Tarsus.

While im excited to get izzy in any capacity, for Mortarch of Grief in particular I would have preferred Tamra ven Drak.  The grief would then be for her own people and the fate she had helped doom them to in her desperation to save them.  Grief for the Rictus, who would also make up her ghostly legions.

Yeah, the Rictus were skelletons at the end of the book, but these new ghosties have mostly skeletal faces, so it would have fit well enough.  Then we'd have a mortarch whose origin and motivations are truly tied to the Mortal Realms, an age of sigmar character who, if you wanted to learn more about them, would motivate you to buy an age of sigmar novel rather than old warhammer fantasy books.

And as you read about her, your mind would be filled with images of places you could still potentially visit on the in game tabletop, rather than places that no longer exist in the current game, that have been gone so long they might as well have never existed in the first place.

Furthermore, we'd have a mortarch of grief who was defined by grief over her own willing actions and their direct consequences.  Grief with agency.  Grief based on things done BY her, rather than things done to her or for her.

But so be it.  Just because I think I could have come up with better directions for these characters doesn't mean that I won't like what GW ends up doing.  Again, I'm mostly just excited to see Isabella back in any capacity beyond just being vlad's sidekick.  Even just being vlad's widow is a step up from that.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, S133arcanite said:

Also, it has been suggested that the banshee unit I mentioned is actually a Shadespire Warband: Shadespire.jpg

This is 98% a Nighthaunt Shadespire warband.  I have owned and painted every current warband for shadespire, and those bases along with the way the models are integrated directly into them is hallmark of shadespire design.  The banshee second to the left requires the scenic base to even stand, and the one on the right is integrated into the headstone behind her.

Couple that with the matching sneak peak of the new Shadespire warband cards from a few weeks ago and I am willing to bet three whole US nickles that these are the warband with the blue/teal portcullis icon we saw.  The card behind it in the tease has the lightning bolt and anvil of the new Stormcast chamber, and we know Nighthaunt and the new chamber are being married releases.  Although I will say the leaked card has a ghost with a noose around his neck that doesn't quite match these guys.  The bases though are totally shadespire unless they are going to offer themed bases maybe.  The tiles on the second from the left are nearly identicle to the ones on the stormcast warband's bases as are the roses and seem molded as part of the base and not an add on.

Also incase people are not aware of the shadespire sneak peak I am referring to it is this one.

AdepticonPreview-Mar22-WHUWCards3vs.jpg

I'd kinda like to see a wholly new character for the Mortarch. If I recall, there were three who we never had art or names or anything  for, so even if she's returning from the old world lore-wise, she could be a totally new creation.

Also, I'm not sure that being "Mortarch of Grief" necessarily means she suffers from an abundance of it herself. 

On 5/12/2018 at 11:15 PM, Josh said:

Ive got painted so far;

-21 hosts

- 10 hex wraiths

- 2 mournguls

- 4 banshees 

- 6 wraiths

- 1 KoS

at least i dont need to start from scratch ?

Amen to that!

13 hours ago, Sception said:

An Isabella who honored vlads sacrifice by taking up his mantle as mortarch of shadow and moving forward from there as a proactive character with agency of her own would gave been my preferred direction.

Mortarch of Grief has more continuity with her prior characterization, but remember, i thought her old characterization was painfully lacking and frankly rather retrograde.  On top of that, thousands of years have passed since oldhammer, so it's kind of jarring that so many of the characters that are still around from that time have changed so little.

Yes, the undead as a concept are in part thematically defined by an inability to move on, but I still would prefer an isabella with her own motivations, rather than her every thought still hung up on a character who, as far as AoS lore is concerned, might as well never have existed.  An izzy who has moved on could have developed motivations tied to the mortal realms.  Instead we'll have another character whose entire character arc took place on a dead world in a forgotten time.

But we'll see.  I'm excited to see her back, and as a mortarch in her own right.  I really am not pre-judging here.  IF this IS isabella, im on board regardless.  Even though i also think AoS, especially the undead, is sorely lacking in heroes rooted in the new setting, and what we need most isnt returning old faces at all so much as entirely new ones.

The fanboy in me is desperate for mortarchs Izzy or Khalida, but the more rational voice says what Grand Alliance: Death really desperately needs are mortarchs Tamra or Tarsus.

Oh man if Isabella is the mortarch of grief and she is ethereal and mounted on an abyssal terror that would be amazing.

If Vlad is the dead vampire inside the black coach my head would explode. That would just be an amazing way to integrate some of the great old lore into AOS.

12 hours ago, Nevar said:

This is 98% a Nighthaunt Shadespire warband.  I have owned and painted every current warband for shadespire, and those bases along with the way the models are integrated directly into them is hallmark of shadespire design.  The banshee second to the left requires the scenic base to even stand, and the one on the right is integrated into the headstone behind her.

Couple that with the matching sneak peak of the new Shadespire warband cards from a few weeks ago and I am willing to bet three whole US nickles that these are the warband with the blue/teal portcullis icon we saw.  The card behind it in the tease has the lightning bolt and anvil of the new Stormcast chamber, and we know Nighthaunt and the new chamber are being married releases.  Although I will say the leaked card has a ghost with a noose around his neck that doesn't quite match these guys.  The bases though are totally shadespire unless they are going to offer themed bases maybe.  The tiles on the second from the left are nearly identicle to the ones on the stormcast warband's bases as are the roses and seem molded as part of the base and not an add on.

Also incase people are not aware of the shadespire sneak peak I am referring to it is this one.

AdepticonPreview-Mar22-WHUWCards3vs.jpg

I disagree with it (also owning and having painted all the warbands...) These 4 models don't have nearly enough distinctive characteristics  compared to each other to be a shadespire warband I think...  All carry the exact same weaponry (already something you never see in shadespire warbands) and don't have any distinct armor pieces/helmets etc... 

Also, the daggers of these 4 models don't match the heavy swords you see on the spectral parry card... neither do they have a noose around the neck like the artwork of the card has (none of them do). The specific shadespire cards tend to have an image of at least 1 of their members performing the action , and  the models simply don't match the artwork. 

In fact, closer inspection of the other revealed models, show some models with scenic bases, and some without (same goes for the stormcast eternal models , some have scenic bases, some don't)... I think the scenic bases might be because these are push-fit models belonging to the new starterset instead of new shadespire warbands.... The new nighthaunt cavalry also have the same style scenic bases and they wouldn't even fit inside a shadespire hex!

faction focus doesn't have nearly as much detail as I had hoped.  Nothing about their faction rules, or the new mortarch, or any hints of core rule changes for the new edition that are particularly relevant to them.

Still, we see a bunch of units, the models for which look mostly great, and confirmation of at least one spellcaster.

The lock guy... I'm underwhelmed.  His healing ability is only half of that granted by the deathly invocation of even lowly necromancers and wight kings, AND has preconditions on even using it.  Preconditions that stack for multiple uses.  Apart from that, their personal presence is minimal - a melee only 5 wound hero with decent rend but an utherwise underwhelming offensive profile.  The biggest ability is the hit reroll aura, but even that is saddled with the 'wholly within' wording that severly restricts its range, and renders it basically worthless on bigger units like the new Chainrasps, and while its mobility isn't bad at 6" flying it isn't really fast enough to support hexwraiths or the like.

If it's cheap enough, it might be a decent support hero to accompany some smaller, more elite units, like spirit hosts or grimghasts, but it's points cost will have to be pretty cheap to make that work.  Three digits will probably consign it to the display case, imo, unless the 2nd edition core rules do something to dramatically improve the performance of 5 wound heroes generally.  Even if the torment spirit isn't super competitive, that's not necessarily a huge loss though.  I mean, we've already seen like half a dozen small heroes for this faction, if even one or two of them is good, that's all an army really wants or needs of that kind of unit.

It'll all depend on the points cost. If they're only slightly higher than a Cairn Wraith they'll be worth it for the aura alone. A Torment and a Knight of Shrouds working together can make a pretty impressive Spirit Host deathball.

8 minutes ago, Sception said:

The lock guy... I'm underwhelmed.  His healing ability is only half of that granted by the deathly invocation of even lowly necromancers and wight kings, AND has preconditions on even using it.

I suspect Nighthaunt will have schtick that's less orietented around bring back wounds and models than the LoN stuff.

10 minutes ago, Sception said:

addled with the 'wholly within' wording that severly restricts its range

Apparently this is sort going to be a thing going forward the fix daisy chaining, I think @RuneBrush mentioned it in his Warhammerfest thread.

13 minutes ago, Sception said:

The lock guy... I'm underwhelmed.  His healing ability is only half of that granted by the deathly invocation of even lowly necromancers and wight kings, AND has preconditions on even using it.  Preconditions that stack for multiple uses. 

Ah, but it takes effect every battleshock phase. Including, presumably, the enemy battleshock phase. If that's the case the healing becomes a lot more comparable...

3 minutes ago, Inqy said:

It'll all depend on the points cost. If they're only slightly higher than a Cairn Wraith they'll be worth it for the aura alone. A Torment and a Knight of Shrouds working together can make a pretty impressive Spirit Host deathball.

At this point I'm just happy to see support heroes for Nighthaunt at all.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

Apparently this is sort going to be a thing going forward the fix daisy chaining, I think @RuneBrush mentioned it in his Warhammerfest thread.

Yup, I heard this mentioned more than once over the weekend.  The compromise is most abilities have had their range extended by 3" but gained wholly within.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Yup, I heard this mentioned more than once over the weekend.  The compromise is most abilities have had their range extended by 3" but gained wholly within.

Did it it sound to be mostly in the context of new stuff going forward, or did it  sound like current warscrolls with aura abilities would likely be  updated?

Capture soul energy is like garveyard with a lower ranger 9 -> 6 = SAD

Nagash Bidding is cool for him and over nearest units = Happy

5 Wounds / 4 + Save / Ethereal were expected = No Sad No Happy 4+ Save is 50% chance of success I hope they still have deathless minions

3 Attacks 4+/3 +  Rend - 2 D3. I dislike this line even if you can reroll the hit rolls of 1.  You will have most of the time 1 attack wich will pass with D3 so 1- 3 damages ..

I would  prefer 4 attacks 3/ 3+ Rend -1 D3

Archived