New to AoS - Beastclaw Raiders

Bol14

Greetings all! I am about to take the plunge into Warhammer for the first time with AoS. I have been watching for a long time and finally have the means to do it! Anyways, I love the ogres and plan on putting together a few different armies. As I am new, I am a bit nervous about all the updates and constant changing of the game as from the outside, the rules seem to be in constant motion. As such, I do not know what books to buy and whether or not wait on certain books and models. I have some ideas for armies I plan on running, one of which will be including two 20 unit blocks of grots. I have their warscroll online but what else will I need? The GHB? Or should I wait until the 2018 edition? (I am still hazy on how all this works) Should I get the destruction alliance book? (or battletome, again not clear!) I plan on running some ironblasters and ogors alongside my beastclaw raiders from time to time and may possibly expand into creating a destruction alliance army, hence the possible need for the destruction book. I already own the Beastclaw book so I am set there!

Sorry for the questions, I am sure I will have more, I am just so excited to get into this hobby after years of lurking and playing the totalwar games!

Free rules pamplet plus once per year a General's Handbook.  Maybe a FAQ every half year.  Then battletome books come out whenever they have a batch of models ready to sell.

The biggest flux seems to be what is good in the minds of the attendees of the tournament scene.  Very little about the actual rules changes outside of the annual General's Handbook releases-- of which there have been 2.

To start off with you can just take the models you like and use the free rules and the free warscrolls that you can download on each product page on GW's website.  On the warhammer community site you can find a scroll builder which will tell you the matched play points if you want those.

There is a system of allies in the latest GHB as well as allegiance abilities.  I have honestly no idea what is going to be in the next GHB and no idea if any or all of that content will simply be reprinted or what.  For a starting person though it can be seen as a bit optional until you get some games in and learn the game and figure out how all the warscrolls work and the like.  Then you can add in the allegiance abilities, traits, artefacts and the like.

If you were definitely planning on getting involved with local tournaments or other kinds of events like that or only playing games with other people as if they were at a tournament, then I guess you will want to get the most recent GHB sooner rather than later.  I don't really do that, so I can't say for sure if I started a new army today whether I would get the GHB or Battletome right away or after I had built and played with it a bit.

34 minutes ago, Bol14 said:

As I am new, I am a bit nervous about all the updates and constant changing of the game as from the outside, the rules seem to be in constant motion. As such, I do not know what books to buy and whether or not wait on certain books and models.

Things are changing a lot right now. In all honesty I would recommend just buying the models and getting them painted up. Start collecting BCR is what I would recommend.  I assume in the next year there will have been significant updates to BCR and Gutbusters (Ogres) and a lot of lists and rules will be outdated.

If you wanted to start playing today you would just need the Generals Handbook 2017 and the rules for your units (BCR battletome and PDF versions of the Gutbuster units, Gutbusters have no additional rules other than there warscrolls and require no book).

You can see the point and write lists using the following:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

One more question, I am a bit confused as to who I can and cannot ally with. I am sure this is simple but I want to make sure before I make any purchases! I would like to add some moonclan grots to the army but am not sure if I can or not! If not, can I take gitmob grots instead?

54 minutes ago, Bol14 said:

One more question, I am a bit confused as to who I can and cannot ally with. I am sure this is simple but I want to make sure before I make any purchases! I would like to add some moonclan grots to the army but am not sure if I can or not! If not, can I take gitmob grots instead?

Beastclaw is Gutbusters, Troggoths and Aleguzzlar Gargants.

Destruction essentially splits down the middle into Ogors and Greenskinz, you can't ally across the racial divide. There are then a few small subfactions which can be allied by anyone.

In answer to your question, no BCR can't take either.

Ah okay good to know I had a feeling I was missing something, there are a lot nuances in the army building, which are a bit overwhelming but also really exciting! Thank you for the response! I am assuming I would then have to take the destruction allegiance if I wanted to use some ogors alongside goblins?

6 hours ago, Bol14 said:

Ah okay good to know I had a feeling I was missing something, there are a lot nuances in the army building, which are a bit overwhelming but also really exciting! Thank you for the response! I am assuming I would then have to take the destruction allegiance if I wanted to use some ogors alongside goblins?

Correct 

18 hours ago, Bol14 said:

Dcqe90sV4AENCbC.jpg

You can have up to 400 points of allies at 2k, 300 at 1.5k and 200 at 1k if I recall correctly. One of the worse things about Pure BCR is the lack of allies... you will have to be Destruction rather than BCR if you want to mix in moonclan (You can however add in the MP Fungoid Cave-Shaman thanks to the recent FAQ for a cool caster). You can also mix in the gut buster version of grots as allies.

image.png.806a8f6ec0f08ff28c53c5e6cbf414fa.png

This is by no means an optimized list but just an example of how to write a 2k list. Mixed in some grots and a butcher but kept the BCR allegiance. Made with Warscroll Builder.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders

Leaders: 5/6 | Battleline 4/3 | Behemoths: 3/4 | Artillery: 0/4 | Allies: 340/400

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- Artefact: Blade of All Frost 
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
- Artefact: Elixir of Frostwyrm 
Butcher (140)