The Painting Contract - May 2018

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Just worried about shiny model syndrome

If you’re concerned about shiny models I recommend the munitorum spray. It’s more of a matte look. That should solve the shiny model issue totally .... .... ;) (ha!) xD .... 

As usual, my army situation is fairly fluid. Yet another unforeseen has affected my budget process so I have a boatload of scuttlings coming but that might be it for a bit. 

Yet the painting urge doesn’t stop so this is what I have to deal with. I have been working on a warband for Dragon Rampart plus a conglomeration of old deamon models etc for the bad guys. The warband is all GW 2/3rds from old starter kits and a group of swordsmen plus an engineer to lead them.  So here’s my big idea. They are based on some fluff about Matoreans from fantasy with blue/orange colours and I’m pretty sure they are mostly a creation of another hobbiest on another forum. He used his as mercenaries, marines and homeguard and I started thinking I could take this idea and add it to a free city in the new realms based on the the old traditions of their background brought forward to the new world. 

As well as these, I have dwarf warriors, miners and a few characters plus some shadow warriors , lothern and swordsmaster mix plus some reavers, and characters. I will group them all together under the Matorean banner of free peoples and throw in a temple of Sigmar to provide some stormcast based in this yet to be fluffed city and the beginnings of a new army start to unfold and stay within budgets for the next bit. It will also tie in all the loose ends floating about to something cohesive. I’m getting a bit ramped about it. ?

With josh’s ok, I might amend my contract to include the free peoples Matoreans. I’m thinking more about this and really liking the idea. It will take place in the realm of light (hysh) as it is already home to duardin, aelves, sand humans. The free city will be  a coastal one to allow for marines, and mercenaries and will have mountains close to keep the duardin happy. It will also have a realm gate to give reason to occupy a garrison of stormcast to protect. This is a little off topic but it’s getting back to the painting thread and a new theme. I had mentioned some shadow warriors and a high warden. I’m going to aim for that. 

51 minutes ago, Artobans Ghost said:

With josh’s ok, I might amend my contract to include the free peoples Matoreans

You don’t need my approval to swap out what you want to paint/build for the contract. But since you asked, I’ll give you a thumbs-up vote.

It sounds like something cool. So I’m voting that it sounds good so go for it!

Awesome?

I had originally meant these for a different game system so they wouldn’t appear here but things do change. I painted them alongside the spiderfangs so it occurred this month. They are the beginnings of the Matorean 1st company that will eventually have humans, aelves, duardin and stormcast. I play mostly open/ narrative so this works. 

img_1990.jpg

mostly leftovers 

img_2067.jpg

img_2155.jpgimg_2157.jpgimg_2156.jpgimg_2152.jpg

These are the parts that will be added. But not this month except some shadow warriors or high wardenimg_2154.jpg?

So unfortunately once again life and other projects got in the way and it's almost the end of the month with no progress being made on my pledges... whoops!

However I did build and paint Morathi (Both big and little) so can that count instead? ;) My daughters of khaine have really dominated my time this month.

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

However I did build and paint Morathi (Both big and little) so can that count instead? ;)My daughters of khaine have really dominated my time this month.

So, change your pledge. :) 

This is about getting painting and modeling and building completed. What you choose to say you’ll get done is up to you. 

So, let’s see some pictures!

3 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So, change your pledge. :) 

This is about getting painting and modeling and building completed. What you choose to say you’ll get done is up to you. 

So, let’s see some pictures!

Excellent in that case I am changing my pledge to painting Morathi and a squad of 5 blood sisters. Will post my current progress pics when I get home!

Nowhere near as much progress as I'd planned but the morghast are starting to come together

Ddv_x7YVAAA-x3D.jpg:large

Ddv_0XQVQAMrVQM.jpg:large

Out of everything I've painted recently I'm enjoying these the least.  Not because they're not good models, but because the white undercoat went mega grainy :(  I brushed them off and applied varnish, but the finish is still really poor quality and short of stripping them (very fragile models for doing that & would add a lot of time on) I'm just having to plough on with them.  They'll be OK and am sure that from a distance they won't look too bad, but they're not going to be the same quality as the rest of the army.  Just want to churn them out and crack on with the next bit! (buying Shadespire Orruks hasn't helped either ;))

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Not because they're not good models, but because the white undercoat went mega grainy

Uffff white primer kills me all the time.... it is objectively “the worst ...” really subject to humidity, not shaking the can enough in 12 million directions, forgetting to do the shake-Roll both rightside up and upside down... rolling it too much counter clockwise and not enough clockwise ... it being the wrong day if the Week ... too much sunlight ... to little sunlight ... yep. Totally the worst... 

I’ve taken to priming grey (or black) or Zandri Dust and then the doing a basecoats to get them to white.

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Uffff white primer kills me all the time.... it is objectively “the worst ...” really subject to humidity, not shaking the can enough in 12 million directions, forgetting to do the shake-Roll both rightside up and upside down... rolling it too much counter clockwise and not enough clockwise ... it being the wrong day if the Week ... too much sunlight ... to little sunlight ... yep. Totally the worst... 

I’ve taken to priming grey (or black) or Zandri Dust and then the doing a basecoats to get them to white.

I've no idea why it did it, it was towards the end of the can so I can only assume it was that - rest of the can had put on perfectly smooth coats, so it's really weird.  With hindsight (a wonderful thing), I should have just done them grey and then used the airbrush for a white zenithal.

So, it’s not quite Wednesday ... but I’m sure it’s wednesday somewhere ... so here’s my current progress for the Magore’s Fiends. They need skin/leather/bone/Steel all completed... but progress is being made!

1C12AB23-3BBC-457E-AAA2-F3BA72ECC94D.jpeg.e86ed8be7f35c3a728c6b801b5d33c3d.jpeg

The bases were done using Duncan’s instructions on the Warhammer.tv site and they turned out pretty well.

4F31A92C-48DC-4014-8BB6-6785410FC9C9.jpeg.77ce2aa6b18a7a0e3084d8520cf4193b.jpeg

16 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@RuneBrush hmm ... perhaps leverage the grittyness and go for a more ancient rotting bone look? Something that has a benefit for the additional texture?

6 hours ago, Artobans Ghost said:

@RuneBrush  those models are really cool. I think the gritty look adds to the model personally even if it’s harder to paint. 

Cheers.  I'm just running with it currently.  Overall the appearance is OK, it doesn't match the rest of the army, but I don't know if that's actually an issue.  My biggest concern is the armour panels could come out weird as I'm planning on doing them the red effect I've used on my characters - which uses lots of shading and glazes.  Time will tell I guess!  I'm away from tomorrow for the weekend so that's going to have to wait for next week ;)

Boring, but getting there with my drakespawn. Just a sample, but all the brown base coat is down and washed. The spine base coats also done. Drybrush the light flesh is next, hoping to get all 13 drakespawn done tomorrow night, then it's on to finer details like saddle, eyes, golds, straps. Think I'll meet my projection and with a week off, hoping to nail the knights for sure. 

IMG_20180523_214045213.jpg.3d2aac36728e21c57b318b37d2fa7a49.jpg

Well, in spite of my best efforts I managed to complete the warshrine in time and it turned out pretty well. Need to get the base but debating whether I should get something decorative or not. Does any company make decorative bases in this size or will I have to decorate it myself? Does anyone make MDF ones in this size?

warshrine1.jpg.4c07bb82aa14a0c38c0068dca75e71e8.jpg

One a side note, I managed to paint the Priest here and the Excelsior War Priest from the Silver Tower in exactly the same colours through good ole' thoughtlessness...

warshrine2.jpg.b13b4d8ad15532d2b897a413e34302e6.jpg

Lets see what next month brings in AOS 2.0...

Archived