Mess with the ratto, you get the stabbo! Pestilens tournament report.

Chickenbits

Tjenare! Hörde through the grapevine att vissa undrade om jag skrivit ännu en battle report, och det har jag! Dock skrev jag den i chaos-forumet :P Men varför inte slänga in den här med. Detta är alltså en tournament report från The lord of the mounds-turneringen i  Uppsala! Denna rapport är betydligt mer kortfattad än den jag skrev om förra årets Gothcon, men jag hoppas att ni ska tycka att det är intressant läsning oavsett. Kopierar den rakt från min andra tråd, med alla eventuella stavfel intakta.

My list was:

4 units of 40 plague monks and 1 unit of 20 plague monks, split between 2 congregation of filth battalions

2 Plague furnaces

1 Corruptor

Simple and straightforward list! I was very new to pestilens, but I had played against them so I was fairly up to speed on how they work... but man, does the monks have a lot of rules x.x.

Mission 1: Total conquest against Elf-based mixed order.

Dude had 3 dragonlords, a bolt thrower, some archers, 20 white lions, some skinks and 5 reavers, rounding of with a loremaster.

I gave him first turn, hoping that he'd be temped to fly up into charge range of my monks, or even charge into them, which he did! Of course, the dragons hit hard, noming an entire plague monk unit first turn, and killing some of the other rats. I responded by going all in on the dragons, figuring that if they die, he'll lose most of his mobillity and damage output. I managed to kill one, but the others stood tall, ready to devour more rats. I got lucky and snagged the second turn, enabling me to kill the dragons before they caused too much additional harm. However, my left flank was now severely weakened, having suffered the initial dragon-charge, so I was now forced to spread out in order to deny his objectives.

The rest of the game turned into quite a chase, with me trying to kill his fast-as-hell reavers, and desperatley trying to get rid of his skinks, who had hidden in a Deadly ruin. My corruptor gave it his all, but as you can imagine, an amazing roll of a 1 saw my corruptor consumed by the tiny, dangerous ruins. An initial takeover of one of his objectives, followed by a desperate but sucessful takeover by a lone reaver on one of my objectives, saw the game end in a tie point-wise. I did manage to win on killpoints, so Minor victory for me! The white lions were a supirse, standing against and killing a near-full unit of monks and not dying to my Plague furnace (who I forgot had a 4+ d3 mortal wound aura....). They shouldn't be underestimated.

Mission 2: Duality against Sylvaneth

the shortest game, turn-wise. He had loads of those spirit-tree guys, 6 hunters with scythes, a treelord ancient, drycha, 30 dryads and a branchwraith.  All in a battalion that I can't remember the name of, but the one that gives you d3 different abillities, with one being teleportation (which he got).

A clumsy deployment on my part saw him getting a teleport-charge on my plague furnace and 2 of my plague monk units, tying them up from turn 1. A number of crazy armour saves later saw them withstand all the attacks from my plague monks, while killing my plague furnace. Meanwhile, his dryads and branchwraith had captured one objective, with Drycha and the tree-spirit guys holding the other, all surrounded by wildwoods. Not much more to say about this game, I got completely outplayed here. It's the mission that I struggle the most in, but I totally didn't take into account how his teleports work (he told me very clearly, so I have noone to blame but myself, that's that happens whe you need to learn your own rules and the opponents at the same time lol).  

I made a despeate push with a plague monk unit onto the dryad + Branchwraith objective, ending in a hillarious battle that saw both the dryads and plague monks run away. However, having lost 2 of my heroes (the corruptor dying to a teleporting treelord) and being way down on points, the game was a clear defeat. Major loss.

Mission 3: Battle for the pass against Nurgle.

My opponent had The great unclean one with the bell, Spoilpox scriviner, 3x 10 plaguebearers, 2x3 drones, 2 Plagueclaws (traitors!) 120 summonng points,a beast of nurgle and a Tallyband battalion.

We were both pretty unsure how the allegiance abillties worked, since I was Nurgle as well in terms of keywords. I ended up getting all of his boosts, resulting in some pretty powerful rats! The confusion made him place a Gnarlmaw close to me, in order to set up for some strong charges for himself. What it did, however, was enabling pretty much my entire army to charge his lines turns 1 (aided by the +2 movement from the wheel of fortune). What followed was a slap-fest of epic proportions, with 3 matches worth of dice being thrown in 2 turns. Ultimately, my sheer weight of numbers proved to much for him, not to mention that I captured the objectives with my superior model-count. I was fairly unlucky with the prayers this game, but since I could use his wheel and Gnarlmaw, I was essentially playing with 2 sets of allegiance abillities, holy ****** was it crazy. The game ended with me wiping his army, except for the near immortal Great unclean one, who healed a total of 8 wounds (!) in a single turn. ******. Major win for the rattos, however!

This was not a good matchup for him, altho I think he was too agressive, moving up into my charging range. But with a lot of his abillities and weapons simply not working against me (the Plagueclaws only wounding on 6s) it was a massively uphill battle regardless for him. Now it was time for day 2!

Mission 4: Starstrike against Ironjawz

He played Gordrakk, 2x3 pigs, 3x5 Brutes, a warchanter, a megaboss on foot, and a weirdnob. The units were all in an ironfist Battalions.

I set up a massive screen of 40 rats (screening my rats with more rats) to force him into an awkward charge, and gave him first turn. He moved up carefully, getting into position to claim the objective when it landed, but did not charge. He won priority and took it, with the objective landing right next to beefed-up Gordrakk (yay...). He claimed the objective, used his ultra-WAAAAGH! abillity and charged into my screen, with the pigs outflanking the screen and assaulting 2 units that I had moved up on the side (for some reason). However, being a veteran 40k-player, I had mastered the cheeky douchebag tactics of smart model-removing,, which I used to deny some of his brutes to attack after Gordrakk had butchered around 20 rats (jesus...), and struck back. Once again the game developed into a bit of a slap-fest, but with my following counter-charge, aswell as me snagging priority turn 3, I managed to smash through his lines, finally killing off Gordrakk with a lucky Super-plague from my allegiance abillity. Once his Ironfist was gone, I could simply move up and claim the objectives, netting me a solid win, all the dead rats be damed. Major win for me!

This was an interesting game. I was pretty nervous going into the game, he is an experienced player and I've seen him work wonders on the table before, but I think he got a bit greedy here with the charge. In the end, I think Pestilens simply have too much staying power for Ironjawz to handle. 

On to the last game!

Mission 5: Scorched earth (with house rule preventing turn 1 sacking of objectives) against beautifully painted Kharadrons

He had Brokk, 3x10 Arkanauts with various weapons, 12 Endringriggers with grappling hooks, a Frigate and a Ironclad., with a Khemist general.

He gave me turn 1 and I carefully moved up, mostly hugging the objectives. He deep struck his Ironclad, tossed out 12 baloon-boys, and together with shooting and a lucky charge managed to wipe out the 40 clanrats holding my left-most objective, altho I did manage to strike back and kill a few of them with the Rabid fever prayer. However, he now had most of his (very mobile) army of my leftmost flank, with my army being spread out across the field. He could not torch my objective, but he did get 3 points, putting us in a tie. Luckily I managed to snag priority turn 2, but some unlucky prayer rolls left the situation pretty shaky. I moved my corruptor and 40 monks to take back my flank, which I did by killing the baloon-boys, but that still left me with 2 big ships and Brokk... The center of the field was pretty exposed, with his middle objective being fully open, and his right-most one being held only by 10 arkanauts. As such, I moved another monk squad up, while the 20-man squad and last 40-man squad kicked back on my objectives. On his turn 2, he opened up with Brokks shooting, aided by the Ironclad, on my rats and killed most of them, but a few defiant stragglers survived. His Frigate advanced back on his middle objective, netting him an extra point. 

I Won priority again (I have never been this lucky at any other tournament) and between a big 3-wound arcane bolt and a charge from the few beefed-up survivors of the monk squad, Brokk fell under a tide of angry rodents. The Corruptor did his best against the Khemist standing next to the ship but damn if he didn't rock those 4+ saves. The big central unit charged the frigate and whiffed, but I still took control of the point by sheer weight of numbers. I decided to torch it, rolling a solid.... 1. His turn 3, the last arkanauts jumped out of the ironclad and butchered the surviving rodents and with a khemist-aided skypike-charge almost ending up killing my corruptor. The frigate whiffed against my monks, and I decided to retreat towards his right-most objective, guarded by an Arkanaut unit. 

He won priority turn 4 and killed off my corruptor, and then managed a solid charge on my lone furnace, guarding my leftmsot objective (this objective had seen a lot of fighting...). I managed to kill most of them in the following CC, but he still had more models (3 is more than 1, after all) so he torched my objective, rolling a solid... 1.  After that, the game was pretty much over. I charged his last Arkanaut unit, torching his objective, rolling a solid... 1. By then all that was left to do was for him to shoot off my Furnace for the killpoints. 11-15 in match points, giving me a Major win! 

This all in all just barely gave me 3rd place, tied with a great Stormcast player, with me winning on killpoints. The Sylvaneth player who soundly beat me day 1 ended up 2nd place. A wonderful weekend, playing a fantastically fun army! Love theese ******. There was much glory for chaos tho, with a Tzangoor coven taking first place, well played!

gruppfoto.jpg

dwagons.jpg

31102440_10209131512124201_8843803335703134208_n.jpg

31081569_10155499077353059_5958202216782023869_n.jpg

plague furnace.jpg

4 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

This all in all just barely gave me 3rd place, tied with a great Stormcast player... 

... a great Stormcast player

... tied with a great Stormcast player... 

... great... 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived