Namarti Thrall Icon Bearers

PFI

Hey, just wondering if I'm missing something. It says models in this unit can be icon bearers. Not like one model or anything. Is there limitations in matched play that would prevent you from making each model an icon bearer? I'm wondering because an icon bearer adds 1 to its attack so if every model could be an icon bearer, they all get +1 attack

Again what am I getting wrong, thanks guys.

You are free to make every model an icon bearer, but do so at your own (financial) risk. The scroll is very, very likely to get errata very, very soon. Whether they limit the bonus to x models per unit, or whether they limit the physical icons to x per unit - who knows. 

I think everyone can agree it's clearly an oversight, I wouldn't sink anything into it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if either in AoS2 (If it's actually coming) or the next FAQ/Generals Handbook they basically outline you can only have one each command model per unit. In fact, I think you can already see a potential return to 'command groups' in the Eels warscrolls, where they specify a Command Group as opposed to separating the rules for Leader/Musicians/Standard Bearers.

That being said, this is the first example we've had where they've allowed multiple 'champion' type models in a unit which is surprising in itself. It makes me wonder if it's just sloppy writing as they may have thought originally they were going to have separate models for the Icon Bearer and Champion of the unit.

Well the eel group does allow as many standards and muscicians as you want and that's common to many warscrolls, its the champion that's limited. Here however the standard is the champion and they totally goofed.

As far as wysiwyg goes, come on, it's easy to convert some icons from the multitude of extra bits these boxes have. Gosh, just glue a fish on the back of your guys and paint it gold, bam icon. 

Enjoy your 3 attack namarti thralls until the faq comes out, and if it gets missed then just enjoy them more!

1 hour ago, Thebiggesthat said:

It's already been said that it's an oversight and will be FAQd. Direct from GW on Facebook.

Anyone thinking of doing it, don't.

Did they mention in which way it would be FAQd? I would build 2 of 10 with the bannerpole because thats whats in the box.

7 hours ago, SPlatte said:

Did they mention in which way it would be FAQd? I would build 2 of 10 with the bannerpole because thats whats in the box.

I'm sure it will be 1 per unit like any other champion/bigweapon guy.

The box have 2 banners becouse it comes with 2 sets of 5 minis and each 5 use the same srpue.

17 minutes ago, Dragobeth said:

Specialweapons normally aren't restricted in the same manner als champions. Most of the time it's x for every n models (Liberators 1 grandweapon for every 5 Models, Tzaangors 2 Savage Grand Blades for every 5 models, Blood Warriors 1 Goreglaive for every 10 Models) . So, if they don't make the Icon Bearer a Champion, 2 for every 10 seams reasonable.

6 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

The box have 2 banners becouse it comes with 2 sets of 5 minis and each 5 use the same srpue.

There are 2 different sprues in the box. The Banners are even on the same sprue.

Currently wrestling with what to do about this myself, before I start painting my Namarti. It seems pretty clear that the original intention was one icon bearer per unit - that's how it is in all the photos of the studio army, the picture on the box, etc. And it just makes sense. But then why leave such an obvious, massive gap in the rules? And, particularly, why on earth include two icons in the box? On the same sprue! They're almost the same, apart from a few tassels being different, so it's not like it's to give you different options. My approach was going to be 'I'll just build whatever's in the box and assume that's what they intended' but you can't even rely on that. 

The fact that the icons just plonk onto the back of any normal Namarti makes it even worse - they couldn't have made it easier to convert. At least if you had to make it so every soldier was holding a full standard pole it'd be tricky and look ridiculous. 

Was there a big internal argument over it at GW? It's such a mess of conflicting ideas. 

6 hours ago, SPlatte said:

There are 2 different sprues in the box. The Banners are even on the same sprue.

Yes, but the instructions show them as two options for one model.  That would imply one icon per unit of ten.  That is all I will model for the moment; if they say 1 in 5 later, I can easily add more.

" There is an option for an icon bearer – they have a specific head, and a large mathlann slave rune which forms part of their neck crest."

that's a direct quote from the namarti thrall box content description on the game workshop webstore which seems pretty clear that rai is 1 per unit and i'd feel very safe concluding that is where the faq will go, still until it's in black and white you can do what you want just don't rage on the forums when gdubs response leaves you having to hack off all those nicely painted icons :3

• 2 weeks later...

Aha I find it fascinating how people jump all over it in the first place. I've just bought my box of Narmarti Thralls, the box shows 1 icon bearer, GW displays show 1, every other army can take 1, and I have the parts for 1 with two options. I can use a bit of common sense here and see that it was most likely a rules oversight that will be quickly patched, seeing as tournaments have already banned it. Or...

CLEARLY IT WAS INTENDED THAT I SHOULD MAKE THEM ALL ICON BEARERS. HAND ME SOME CARDBOARD AND SOME GREEN STUFF.

Not sure how people land on the second option. But there you go. ? I'd love to see someone who has actually fashioned 10 icon bearers just because they were adamant they'd get +1 attack for every model.

3 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

Aha I find it fascinating how people jump all over it in the first place. I've just bought my box of Narmarti Thralls, the box shows 1 icon bearer, GW displays show 1, every other army can take 1, and I have the parts for 1 with two options. I can use a bit of common sense here and see that it was most likely a rules oversight that will be quickly patched, seeing as tournaments have already banned it. Or...

I think the point was, that in other units you could have more than one banner or musician, but in case of rules it didn't make a difference if you had 1 banner bearer or 10, the best thing you could get was covering more ground, if the the rule the banner gave was measured from the banner bearer.

We saw it with the grundtock thunderers where units were made of Mortars only or Aethercannons only because they were the most efficient once before GW changed the Warscroll with the GH2017 and nerfed the Khemist so buffing 1 weapon to 8 Attacks per model wasn't possible anymore. If there is an easier way to win, people will jump on it, as long as it is possible by the rules.

Interestingly enough, there is still no german Errata for the icon bearers ?

Edit: Checked it again, and now there is a german Errata, too.

Archived