Shadespire Card Sleeves?

MachinaMandala

I bought all of the official ones and then decided not to use them :(

Went for putting them all in the same colour Ultimate Guard sleeves (Objective all in one colour, Power cards all in another); making it easier to switch cards in an out without having to mess about changing sleeves.

They seem fine so far but I'm not a long-time TCG player so I don't know how well they will last.

1 hour ago, Skonk said:

I bought all of the official ones and then decided not to use them :(

Went for putting them all in the same colour Ultimate Guard sleeves (Objective all in one colour, Power cards all in another); making it easier to switch cards in an out without having to mess about changing sleeves.

They seem fine so far but I'm not a long-time TCG player so I don't know how well they will last.

Same kinda problem here. I like tweaking my decks. I like switching cards in and out and trying new stuff out. Maybe I'll want two different style decks for the same warband. And I definitely want all my cards protected whether in use or not.

The GW warband sleeves are just such an incredible bad solution for me, no matter how much I actually like the look and feel of the sleeves.
I wish GW would release boxes of 100 generic Shadespire sleeves. I wrote to them and suggested it. I'll recommend everyone else to do the same. Together we have a chance of convincing them :)

Only reason I've not switched to Dragonshield yet is because I haven't decided on two colors yet.

59 minutes ago, Goblin-King said:

Only reason I've not switched to Dragonshield yet is because I haven't decided on two colors yet.

My only tip is don't even worry too long about it! I mean most of the time metallic colours are great choice for Objectives because the tokens are 'copper' too and this is a neat reminder and for the Power cards... Pick whatever colour you painted them!

I use a massive variance of sleeves. Most of them are Dragonshield. Funny enough the Khorne sleeves actually found their way onto my Stratagem deck for 40K. Prime reason for that being that I bought a lot/suffiicient but because of the 'need' of many of the Neutral cards I really don't see too much value in getting the Sleeves for a particular Warband. As we all know by now, you will swap out a ton of those Neutral cards anyway...

1 hour ago, Goblin-King said:

But I didn't paint my Power cards... :( 

Hide contents

just kidding

Hide contents

I DID paint my Power cards xD

I DID TOOO :P 

No but I mend, Warband, but hey, any sleeve for the correct size should/will do. 

18 minutes ago, MachinaMandala said:

What is the correct sleeve size?

Basically not YuGiOh and other small card games cardsleeves. 67x92mm is the standard for both US and EU card sizes I believe and the sleeves are made for that. So you can use your MtG sleeves, Dragonshields, Games Workshop sleeves, FFG sleeves... You name it really. 

Coming from a competitive TCG player, I personally need sleeves to be durable and not get damaged easily (otherwise you can get disqualified for "marked" sleeves, etc), so here is my personal experience going through at least 50 packs of sleeves in the past few years:

First of all, if you plan to double sleeve, the best "inner" sleeves are KMC Perfect fits.

I used to advocate KMC hyper mattes as the 'best' sleeve on the market, but sometime last year I believe, KMC got bought up by some company that then proceeded to 'improve' the formula AKA make the product cheaper to produce, and the side effect is that a lot of KMC sleeves tend to  split after minimal use.

Because of this, I have searched for a good durable outer sleeve and I have now settled on the "new" ultra pro eclipse series. The sleeves are practically indestructible, you can't even rip them. The downside of these sleeves is that the front is anti-shine or matte, whatever you want to call it. This is an issue in lets say Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic the Gathering, where holographics are dulled, but I don't find it an issue whatsoever for shadespire.

I personally am using the leftover KMC sleeves for my Shadespire deck. The reason being, a shadespire deck does go through as much shuffling and wear in comparison to a YGO or MtG deck, we have relatively few cards and its easy enough to shuffle without any use of force. I still like the feel of KMCs, even though Ultra Pro Eclipse are coming very close.

Tldr:

1. Ultra Pro Eclipse series (and mind you, it has to be eclipse, every other Ultra pro sleeve product is garbage, but they really outdid themselves with these sleeves)

2. KMC Hyper Matte series

3. KMC Hyper Matte Premiums

4. KMC perfect fits for inner sleeves

Alternatives that I haven't tried myself, but I've heard/read good reviews about would be Players Choice sleeves and Dragon Shield sleeves.

If you are looking to buy sleeves and you are located in europe, I would suggest you hop over to cardmarket.com and click the MtG section, the sleeves there will fit perfectly :)

I double sleeved mine in kmc perfect size then dragon shield mattes. Black and red, looks great. The clear mattes work well for character cards, while the back is slightly opaque you can clearly see the inspired side when you flip it.

only issue is some of the ironjaws cards are cut poorly and slightly larger than all the others, they bend slightly in kmcs. But if you are single sleeveing in dragonshield won’t be an issue.

i tried ultra pro but they felt cheap compared to dragonshield mattes.

there is a topic about this in shadespire forum right back when it was released, sure I or some pics in of mine.

Added the link, those are my cards in the preview! ?

just added back and front of the clear mattes for the character cards so you can see.

B71547B8-5438-4681-9791-9401F91FDF2A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Killax said:

Good overview. But I would say using matt see-through cards for the Fighters seems a bit useless to me. Here I just used the Dragonshield clears. 

Probably right but this was my first experience of sleeving. And I think it would annoy me having non matte for some.

i also don’t know if standards are exactly the same size as mattes. That defo would have anoid me.

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

Is there a problem with the GW sleeves?

I've been using them.they seem ok, but I'm not an expert on the matter.

With the range of cards available the need to constantly change cards in and out of the sleeves put a log of people off. Easier to have them all sleeved consistently.

2 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

The sleeves themselves are pretty great in my opinion. I especially like the texture; they have a certain special feel compared to other sleeves.

BUT... like Sim said: it's preferable to have all your cards sleeved all the time. GW's packs of 20+12 sleeves are just ridiculously expensive if you want to sleeve everything.  

For me it's as the others have said; constant switching of cards in and out of sleeves coupled with often wanting to have more than 20 cards in the deck (so would need to buy 2 packs of sleeves for 1 deck).

They look and feel great though; I just wish they sold packs of 100 generic ones or something.

16 hours ago, Sim said:

I double sleeved mine in kmc perfect size then dragon shield mattes. Black and red, looks great. The clear mattes work well for character cards, while the back is slightly opaque you can clearly see the inspired side when you flip it.

only issue is some of the ironjaws cards are cut poorly and slightly larger than all the others, they bend slightly in kmcs. But if you are single sleeveing in dragonshield won’t be an issue.

i tried ultra pro but they felt cheap compared to dragonshield mattes.

there is a topic about this in shadespire forum right back when it was released, sure I or some pics in of mine.

I ditched my old sleeves and went with the matte Dragon Shields as you suggested in that post. They are amazing. I also went for black and red, although I use the red for objectives. I don't let kids touch mine so no inner sleeves currently.

1 hour ago, Paul Chapman said:

I ditched my old sleeves and went with the matte Dragon Shields as you suggested in that post. They are amazing. I also went for black and red, although I use the red for objectives. I don't let kids touch mine so no inner sleeves currently.

Glad to help. Trying to decide what colours to use for for the second wave. Blue and silver could look pretty special.

11 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

They are quite poor quality, but I think that shadespire in general isn't a game where you need to do heavy shuffling, so they should be fine. Also for the same money you can get a lot more sleeves from better brands.

For those looking for "generic" Shadespire sleeves, I'd say the Sepulchral Guard sleeves are generic enough with the warband icon being a skull... That's what I went with, anyway, even though they're far more expansive than other brand sleeves.

Just to chip on (first post in a long time :D ) but Ill stand behind anyone suggesting Ultra-Pro Eclipse! Ive sleeved all my powercards in black and all the objective cards in orange! I really like orange!

Initially I was gonna use DragonShields mattes, having being very pleased with their black mattes, but then I got a pack of whites and for whatever reason they were super sticky. Like it was difficult even shuffling the cards, never mind picking one up from a stack...

The black ones are still superb though, better feel then the eclipse IMO but I just didnt want the problem with sticky sleeves. Dunno why that was though, maybe I only got a bad batch.

• 2 weeks later...

So recently I figured I was gonna try Dragon Shields again. The black matte sleeves I still have is still the best sleeves ive felt, simply the perfect sleeve.

So I bought another pack of black mattes as well as some gold mattes (for objective cards) and to my disappointment both of these packs contain sleeves that are extremely sticky. I can shuffle the cards properly, but forget about pulling a card or two from a stack, even getting the top cards from a stack is almost impossible without pulling 2-3 other cards with it...

If you have a hand of cards and want to fan them out, forget about it. You need to separate each card with two hands...

I dont know whats going in with Dragon Shields but this makes 3 unusable packs out of the 4 ive purchased in total...The only one who works, and it was amazing, was the first pack about 2 years ago. Everything since has been completely trash...

Is there some trick to this im not understanding, will the card go UNsticky after a while or is Dragon Shield just horrible in consistency?

Archived