What is the best Battleline in the game, and why is it Namarti Thralls?

Scrags

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2018 at 5:46 PM, Scrags said:

I'm not familiar with Saurus Guard, whats their deal?

Saurus Guard are 20 points for a 1-wound model with otherwise excellent offense and defense attributes. Although their warscroll has them at a 4+ save, they have ready access to buffs that push them to a 2+ save: having an Eternity Warden hero nearby, Eternal Starhost battalion, Mystic Shield, etc... The Eternity Warden and Eternal Starhost also grant critical damage buffs, making Saurus Guard a very devastating unit on the attack. In spite of their 2+ Save, there aren't many ways to make it rerollable, and with only one wound each, they're exceptionally vulnerable to Mortal Wounds. To top that off, they're slow on the ground. Thralls, by comparison, have excellent damage output without going outside their warscroll. They're also "vulnerable" to Mortal Wounds (as any 1-Wound model is), but not nearly to the same degree as Guard just by virtue of costing much fewer points.

15 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

What do you mean it doesn’t work on the Charge? Cover works for both shooting and melee.

Just brcause it helps when people show sources, from the four page rules: 

1B7A079C-9A18-499E-B164-199F658B3A5E.jpeg.3f72359479e8bb9c7bed752772df2120.jpeg

so unless the idoneth rules specifically state otherwise, no cover on the charge. 

This might be somewhat contentious, but I'd like to throw Stormfiends into the ring. Granted they're expensive at 300pts for 3, but all armed with warpfire throwers gives you 6d3 mortal wounds on a unit within 8". No rolls to hit or wound either, just straight to the damage. Plus they're pretty durable with 6 wounds and a 4+ base save. How many other battle line units have that kind of damage output? None that I can think of. Plus, you can bubble wrap them in loads of clanrats ?

Archived