The Custom Factions: The Battletomes

There have been quite a few 'fan-made battletome' ideas circulating at the moment, and I though it would be good to flesh out current ideas and create new ones.

So far @Melcavuk and @AthlorianStoners are the main players, and a link to there threads are here: 

So far there are the Suneater Tribes and Fellwater Kingdoms, both from destruction. I am considering applying for the GW conceptualiser post that just opened up (I think), and as such I thought up of a few ideas for Death, mainly focusing on the mortal followers of Nagash. There's also a lot of scope regarding the Battletome: Chaos Undivided. 

To look at a basis, @Mengel Miniatures 's Tomb Kings battletome was incredible, as was @Bueno beastmen and Wolves of Ghur battletomes.

So, any ideas, please tell!

Good idea to make a combined thread, especially because it is the players who tend to find alot of rules issues that traditionally escape the eyes of the writers themselves, we've all been guilty of getting too caught up in the joy of a project that our wording becomes imprecise or we fail to spot a potentially volatile combination of abilities. The fantastic scope of the setting makes for a huge array of potential armies and everyone has their own unique take on ideas, seeing what others make and allowing community efforts to shape, grow and evolve ideas into something fantastic.

Any feedback on my own concepts is more than welcome, I've set myself a hard limit of 15 scroll maximum to avoid going overtly overboard (I'd rather a limited number of thematic scrolls) and welcome any narrative ideas and suggestions going forward.

A Chaos Undivided Battletome with Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness would be fantastic. These 2 factions deserve to work as one with common benefits!  

Heck in the GW Battletome Everchosen they have lore and artwork depicting Archaon and Varanguard leading Chaos Warrior armies but they have yet to materialize this theme in the game except the few Warscroll Battalions in that book.

Its too hot currently for me to paint (ironic for my magma dragon) so I spend idly time relaxing going over rules and warscrolls and jotting down little bits of information here and there to flesh things out. That way when it comes time to put it together all my inspiration is in one place to pull from. For most of the Lore for the battletome I'm leaning toward writing it from an Azyrian Biologists point of view as an AoS David Attenborough style documentary into the Suneater Tribes, that way I dont butcher things by trying to write too Ogory but also gives me a chance to pose questions and theories rather than make everything frustratingly concrete.

Awesome idea! I’m going to kick this into overdrive once I finish my Kroot-Freeguild. Current units list I have is: 

- Fellwater Troggoths 

- Troggoth Hag 

-Troggoth Swampking: Glottkin Conversion

- Troggoth Marshwalkers: Plaguebearers Conversion

- Marshwalker on Toad Dragon: Horticulus on Toad Dragon Conversion

- Snatchlings: undecided

@MacDuff credit @Melcavuk with the idea: 

22 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

You could also look into other mythical beasts from a similar theme and sigmar then up slightly.

Snatchlings: Thought to be the decadent cousins of water imps these capricious winged sprites originate from stagnant murky water sources, it is thought their nature is a reflection of the foul waters that birthed them. Snatchlings prey on stray travellers in the swamps, calling out with the voices of lost children to draw would be good Samaritans further and further into the treacherous boggy marsh.

essentially making Snatchlings a native parasite to the swamp with Troggoths feasting on their victims flesh

15 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Awesome idea! I’m going to kick this into overdrive once I finish my Kroot-Freeguild. Current units list I have is: 

- Fellwater Troggoths 

- Troggoth Hag 

-Troggoth Swampking: Glottkin Conversion

- Troggoth Marshwalkers: Plaguebearers Conversion

- Marshwalker on Toad Dragon: Horticulus on Toad Dragon Conversion

- Snatchlings: undecided

If the snatchlings had like Jack-o-lantern or willow-the-wisps lights... alternative unit build?

Traitorous Lights: Snatchlings are notorious for their lanterns and torches, perfect for leading travellers into the mists. Once per battle, before your opponents movement phase

Archived