Problems with the good guys

Ulfast

34 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

A shark, crocodile, tiger, etc is not evil when someone wanders into their environment or proximity and gets eaten.  They are simply hungry at that point.  And even enjoying the act of catching your food is not evil or else we would have to classify Cats and Orca as evil considering that they often have great fun playing with their food before they eat it (go watch a video of Orca knocking dead seals through the air with their tails like a soccer ball).

The act of being higher on the food-chain that something else does not make something evil.  But that also does not mean that someone cannot also be evil.

Being higher on the food chain than humans certainly does make something evil from a human viewpoint. All the animals you just mentioned eat humans but are not any sort of threat to the human species. They are so harmless in fact that humans actively protect them from ourselves because of how much we threaten them. Orruks, Vampires, Ogors, ect, are closer to dangerous hostile aliens than animals. That said I did specify that eating human is evil from a human viewpoint. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17-4-2018 at 8:43 AM, Ulfast said:

Hello fellow Aos players. I want to start to say that I love the setings of AoS, that I like the game and think some of the miniatures (lite Moriathi) are the best that has even been done by any company.

But (you know a but would come), I have some problems with GW and the good guys. I think the game has none! And I want you to help me out if I´m wrong or what could be done. Lets look at the faction in order (and I know order does´nt not really need to be good guys but of Death, destruction and chaos, order still is the closes(but I would love to have GW to make something diffrent and perhaps turn som Death or destruction faction into some kind of goodness).

Stormcast: Mostly out for fighting chaos, dont really care about so much else then the fight. Still perhaps the faction most close to be good.

Deepkin: Soulsucking fishelves, does´nt sound good to me.

Daughter of Khaine: Blood, blood and more blood to get there god back is not good eather 

Duardin of both kind: Only after gold in some form, don´t care about anything else.

Serphon: Dreamers that is far away in the sky most of the time.

Sylvaneth: Love nature, dislike everything else.

Other factions: so far got little support and could vanish so I don´t really count them.

So I´m wondering, who is looking after the ordinary people, the common folk and want to build new haven for them? I think we need some kind of faction that could be good and be that kind of faction. Perhaps rumors is true that we will get back high elves(or soemthing similiar) that could form role. But what do you other people think?

Stormcasts somewhat keep the world save for the common people so they can rule themselves?

Without a battletome to flesh out the fluff of a truly human army, it’s hard to point to an army/faction that comprises “the good guys” from a human mentality (presumably the mentality all AoS players have).

That and this is GW, “shades of grey” are kind of their thing, and the more super Boy Scout an army is, the more boring it tends to be (in my opinion).  In 40k, for example, Ultramarines and Salamanders are the closest to unequivocal human perspective good guys, and while they still have their moments, they stick to doing mostly good stuff and are yawn inducingly boring in the fluff as a result.  Conflicted characters make for a better narrative, as long as you avoid a descent into full-blown edgelord territory.

All that being said, plenty of factions in Order have “good guy” tendencies.  Kharadron, for example, have a meritocracy and are willing to fight for the good of others.  They may justify it using commercial codes, but they do it.  The Idoneth as well are sure to offer a lot of potential for good conflict.  They need souls, but they are still aelves and will fight chaos.  One can easily imagine the High King hating what has to be down to save his people, but at the same time working to help others.

I’m confident that the new “Teclis Approved” high aelves will be super “good guys,” but they will likely come with some aloofness or intolerance to push them into a little bit more grey territory.

Archived