New player looking for advice | Storm Cast Vanguard Chamber

TheDangerRanger

Hello everyone! 

I just started my first foray into Age of Sigmar and I am looking for some advice. I am building out my Vanguard Chamber army starting with the contents of the Blight War box. Here are the questions I have.

1.  Can I mix hand weapons in a unit of hunters (or palladors for that matter)

2. Should I go with the hurricane crossbow, or the longstrike crossbow for my raptors? I'm leaning toward hurricane for the weight fire. What will serve me best as I build toward 2000 points?

3. I am wanting to build out a 2000 point army using only the vanguard Chamber models with a few characters. I am wanting to add the Lord-Castellant as well as ally in a mage on griffon to get a big monster in the army as well as a bit of magic. What else would be useful?

3. Can I use more than one Lord-Aquilor in my army?

thanks in advance for your help!

TDR

1. Whenever it says "Some units of <Troopname> are armed with ...", all models have to use the same stuff (e.g. Liberators). Whenever it says "Some <Troopname> are armed with ..." you can choose the weapons individually.

Hunters: can choose individually.  Without to-hit buffs or debuffs, damage output is the same. To-hit buffs (if you can get one,e.g., due to Shadowhammers) are slightly better on Handaxes,  with debuffs Sabres are slightly better (vice versa for to-wound buffs/debuffs).  Mix as you please.

Palladors can also choose individually, but Javelins are flat out better, due to the rend and because you get an additional missile attack .

2. Longstrikes are generally preferred because of high range, high rend and potential mortal wounds. If you take Hurricanes, consider taking a Relictor as well. If you move them with Lightning Chariot, you still get the bonus attacks, as movement takes place in the Hero phase!

3. As Vanguard is a lot about fast movement and movement tricks, I would not take a Castellant who will have trouble keeping up with your other units (maybe take one in an Aetherstrike for protecting a big unit of Longstrikes). The Knight Venator is quite good, and I always would include one. Neave Blacktalon is also viable, but only if you take her Battalion. Regarding monsters, you could also consider Frostheart Phoenix, Freeguild General on Griffon or a Dragon.

4. You can use more than one Aquilor, but this only makes sense if you take the "Consummate Commander" command trait, so you can use their command ability on both models. This means you cannot take "Staunch Defender", our go-to command trait. Also, 400 points for the two of them is a hefty price-tag ....

When I build lists, I always think of it as a core of units/heroes that work well together and some add-ons

For my Vanguard  at 2000 points,  this is a nice core:

Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General, Command Trait : Staunch Defender, Artefact : Mirrorshield, Gryph-Charger Trait : Lithe-limbed
Knight-Venator (120)
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer : Lightning Chariot
Units
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
6 x Vanguard-Palladors with Javelins (440)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
Total: 1660

That leaves 340 for add-ons, for example: Neave+Shadowhammers+Aetherwings or Loremaster+Frostheart Phoenix or even a Celestant Prime

Of course, if I need more points for add-ons, I can always drop the relictor, downgrade 1 or 2 Judicators to Hunters or Liberators  or take 3 Longstrikes instead of 6 ...

Always a good shout to look at Neave Balcktalon and her formation!

You'll want at least 3 Longstrikes expanding to 6 man unit in a 2k army. Personally I'm intending to take a unit of 6 Longstrikes for taking out tough targets and a unit of 3 Hurricanes for anti-personnel fire.

Archived