The Great Gnaw- Skaven release?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been lusting after a standalone Skaven Skryre army since I got back into the hobby last year... I fear Skaven are a long way down the line though.

Having now read the story, I love my adorable ratty fellows even more. The way the chap at the end is just like, "Everything's gone wrong. Quick readjustment- this is what I planned all along!" Skaven are so delightful.

We should propably not expect every featured "unit" without model to be an upcoming release. GW has been moving away again from only featuring stuff that has models and ultimately every skaven featured could be represented with existing miniatures, it is just that right now we can not mount a master moulder on a hpa. I think a full miniature release for skaven is still a fair bit off.

I suspect the "shadowy patron" is Thanquol and I have been curious about what he has been up to and how he got immortal.

That said, I still think there is a small chance for a LoN style combined Skaven battletome without new minis. This is something GW could drop with little forewarning at any point this year.

22 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I suspect the "shadowy patron" is Thanquol and I have been curious about what he has been up to and how he got immortal.

I suspect the same thing. Especially when the plan failed and he immediately convinced himself that it was all part of his brilliant plan, and that the original plan had only gone wrong due to betrayal. Classic Thanquol reasoning :D

18 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I suspect the same thing. Especially when the plan failed and he immediately convinced himself that it was all part of his brilliant plan, and that the original plan had only gone wrong due to betrayal. Classic Thanquol reasoning :D

That and the even for a Grey Seer conspicious amount of Warpstone dust sniffed :D

7 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

That and the even for a Grey Seer conspicious amount of Warpstone dust sniffed :D

Oh, yeah :D especially in this case where the dust was sniffed for no practical reason. As far as I can recall, only Thanquol tends to do that. 

The advantage Skaven have is being one of the GW's only truly and fully unique armies... that is to say, Ratmen aren't as widespread a staple of fantasy as say, Dwarfs or knights. They're a lot less likely to get a wholesale revamp with completely different models or brand new spins that make them look worlds apart from current collections.

It's also a curse somewhat, because it means GW are probably pretty content to let the Skaven line fester a longer than Empire/Free Peoples or Dwarfs/Dispossessed without AoSigmarfication or a new range of kits.  They don't have to 'trademark protect' the hell out of them in that weird obsessive way they have near-everything else. 

I think at best Skaven will get a Legions of Nagash-esq Battletome since GW seem to - rightful - be moving away from every five kits having it's own separate faction.

3 hours ago, Mayple said:

To be fair, that could describe any skaven. 

30 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think at best Skaven will get a Legions of Nagash-esq Battletome since GW seem to - rightful - be moving away from every five kits having it's own separate faction.

I really really really hope so. Splitting skaven into 5 clans was a terrible terrible move. Like you say skaven are a pretty original idea, especially in the way GW has made their background. Even as they currently are, they're really fun to play with, but they're just not a cohesive force at all. Thanquol/Boneripper is a great model, but it's rules are crappy and just not worth it's points.

40 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I really really really hope so. Splitting skaven into 5 clans was a terrible terrible move. Like you say skaven are a pretty original idea, especially in the way GW has made their background. Even as they currently are, they're really fun to play with, but they're just not a cohesive force at all. Thanquol/Boneripper is a great model, but it's rules are crappy and just not worth it's points.

I don't know. I could imagine Pestilens existing somewhat separately on the periphery of it all - much like, say, FEC in the Undead.

Anyway, model-wise, I have assumed Clan Eshin would be incoming all the way back since that Silver Tower doppelganger thing. To be honest, just Nightrunners are needed for a nice little 1000-point army (Verminlord Deceiver FTW), as three of the four Forgeworld Blood Bowl Skaven Team Boosters (i.e. the ones not holding the ball) look fine for Gutter Runners IMHO.

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

I don't know. I could imagine Pestilens existing somewhat separately on the periphery of it all - much like, say, FEC in the Undead.

Anyway, model-wise, I have assumed Clan Eshin would be incoming all the way back since that Silver Tower doppelganger thing. To be honest, just Nightrunners are needed for a nice little 1000-point army (Verminlord Deceiver FTW), as three of the four Forgeworld Blood Bowl Skaven Team Boosters (i.e. the ones not holding the ball) look fine for Gutter Runners IMHO.

Love me some Clan Eshin!

4 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

It would by nice if they’d redo the warscrolls from the Screaming bell and the grey seer, since both aren’t something you want in your army since they are both rather crappy ,

which literally doesn’t make any sense, after all a screaming bell should be feared by the Enemy, and not something that only gives itself a speedboost, or do for more or less a turn nothing

Skaven were my first Warhammer love. Anything for them would be ace.

Current plastic tech would allow for awesome big models and the more whacky dialed-to -11 style right now would make distinct units for the different clans a given.

Plague Garden features flying rats big enough to transport several plague monks. Tunnel-gnawing giant rats are mentioned several times in the AoS background if I recall right. Spear of Shadows has the Deathvermin, made up from "even bigger than stormvermin" "greyback" Skaven. The Warlord has a communication device using electroshocked rats.

Joke prediction: A new Eshin unit will be outfitted with steampunk stealth cloaks. 

@Binabik15 thanks for those tidbits, i haven;t read enoughAoS it seems, never heard of that flyingrat or the storm vermin. All of that sounds  exactly liek what the skaven need. Would really like to see GW do something new to a new skaven faction, liek they with kharadrons, DoK, idoneth, etc, saying that monster wise they got the bIgger kits in End Times so I can;t imagine would want to stray sales away form thanquol and the vermin lord, so surley it would be orientated around them (like the glottkin and maggoth lords with maggot kin).

If they did  a release I'd like to see more the Moulder side of the Skaven, they always stuck out for me as being the most distinguished of the clans, Mainly with Hell Pit being an entirely separate city/stronghold from Skavenblight.  More monsters bits is what my life needs. 

17 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

That said, I still think there is a small chance for a LoN style combined Skaven battletome without new minis. This is something GW could drop with little forewarning at any point this year.

14 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

I can easily see a Children of the Horned Rat/The Skaven Hordes battletome being released this year. Rebase everything, include a new magic lore or two, etc, and boom, Skaven are play-ready again!

14 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Fingers crossed!  I always imagined that Skaven would fit into the once a year Chaos release cycle with an ETA 2019-2020.   So, a placeholder Children of the Horned Rat tome would be appreciated in the meantime.

13 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Splitting skaven into 5 clans was a terrible terrible move. Like you say skaven are a pretty original idea, especially in the way GW has made their background. Even as they currently are, they're really fun to play with, but they're just not a cohesive force at all.

How about playing with the concept of cohesion a little?

Paraphrasing  a BOLS article about the Drukhari Codex :

If Drukhari field multiple patrols, rather than a unified force, they can take extra warlord traits.  This makes Drukhari army building different to that of other factions  

Drukhari allow different sub-faction units to ride in transports, not of their sub-faction.  

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/04/40k-drukhari-are-the-first-book-to-innovate-in-8th-edition.html 

Perhaps, a similar approach could be brought to Skaven.  

How about encouraging Skaven armies to incorporate multiple sub-factions by allowing multiple command traits/relics?  Maybe, under certain circumstances, multiple allegiance abilities could be allowed too.

In a SKAVEN keyword army, leaders of sub-factions would be treated like sub-generals.    A Masterclan General would be the glue that brings the disparate warbands together.  

For a little bit extra stab-stab flavour, each of the sub-generals could earn some form of bonus for killing another of ones own sub-generals.  Something similar to Treacherous Progression from the Skaven Chieftain with Battle Standard warscroll. This twist would be uniquely Skaven. 

In this way, Skaven are more tightly integrated than a simple Chaos allegiance.  Meanwhile, independent sub-factions like Pestilens would continue to exist and could be expanded to independent battletomes in the fullness of time.  

2 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

A Masterclan General would be the glue that brings the disparate warbands together.  

Make him not only the Glue but also the lynchpin. If he dies, everything else brakes apart. Sub-factions go at each other, something similar to WhFB infighting of Orcs - as long as the Mastergeneral (or the Grey Prophet?!) is alive everything is more or less fine except sub-leaders stabbing at each other, when being within a certain distance to each other. But when the big guy is gone... well skaven will always be ambitious, backstabbing, little rats walking on two legs. 

Might be hard to balance, without geting a too tanky or too fragil leader, but might make for an intersitng play style. Think of you want your leader close to the battles or in some, as he buffs your troops and hits hard, but not to deep, otherwise your in for a ****** show.

3 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

haha :D

look at the aesthetic of the thannqoul and boneripper and the Storm Fiends that were released suring end times and you'll be on the right track.  Just let the story arc unfold as it should :)

Storm friends*

Archived