Tournament Death Lists Discussion

Josh

hello death heads, 

played a local tournament today with the following list, I came second which was awesome (3 tournament points between me and 1st and lost 5 for resubmitting my list T_T)

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Spectral Grasp
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Dire Wolves (320)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finished 14th at heat 2 with my list. 3x Major wins, 1x minor win and a major loss in game 4 on the twitch tv thingy. Managed 8710 kill points. Brilliant weekend against 5 awesome opponents. If you saw the twitch or go and watch please let me know your thoughts on a) the list & b) the game!

5 hours ago, Vortumnas said:

Oo I like that list a lot, any reason you didn't take a Mortis engine and Lords of Sacrament? I'm presuming the big block of wolves played bodyguard and the others grabbed objectives?

i personally think its a little restrictive with how you need to play the army to get the full benefit but thats just my opinion. Regarding the wolves, exactly right, board control for deep strike armies, screening chaff & with scenarios auto capping with 20+ models or more models within i wanted one big unit

i used them in this game to stop gutrot & 10 Blightkings being able to get into my back lines in one of my games, auto capped in scorched earth & battle for the pass

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

So I finished 14th at heat 2 with my list. 3x Major wins, 1x minor win and a major loss in game 4 on the twitch tv thingy. Managed 8710 kill points. Brilliant weekend against 5 awesome opponents. If you saw the twitch or go and watch please let me know your thoughts on a) the list & b) the game!

Well done! have to be happy with that! Im interested to know what you played & what were some good and bad points about your list, any changes planned?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

i used them in this game to stop gutrot & 10 Blightkings being able to get into my back lines in one of my games, auto capped in scorched earth & battle for the pass

Wow, I would consider that a true test of an army's mettle. Haven't faced gutrot but blight kings are nasty by themselves.

And agreed, LoS definitely restricts your playstyle, I just happen to favor character and chaff heavy armies, so I always like to see similar lists do well

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Well done! have to be happy with that! Im interested to know what you played & what were some good and bad points about your list, any changes planned?

Very very happy ?

no changes planned. List works well as is (match up & battleplan dependant obvs)

game 1 vs 2x 6 Skyfires - major win tabled him

game 2 vs sacrament 2x gheists, VLoZD, 2x necros, 40 skeles, 2x 5 dogs, 15 dogs - favourite game by FAR minor win by 120kps. 

game 3 vs legion of Blood - major win tabled opponent

game 4 vs Slaaneshi daemons major loss because of a failed mystical (watch the twitch was on tv ?) got 1500kps tho

game 5 vs netlist sacrament major win tabled opponent

8 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Dude that looks amazing!! Let us know how you get on!!

thanks mate! 

Will do for sure, I found out my first game is against a guy who came 4th in the Australian Masters last year so its going to be a tough game

6 Long strikes, 4 fulminators & 10 judicators will make things interesting! 

Alrighty! So 5 games later & the legion of sacrament helped me secure 3rd out of 50 people with 4 wins & 1 loss in the final game for 1st place 4/5 secondaries & full soft scores which was nice!

ill go into more detail as i have more time but 

game 1 - Starstrike vs stormcast

castallent , double relictor, heraldor, 3 x 5 judicators, 6 long strikes, 4 fulminators, 3 spear & trident prosecutors 

- Major win

Game 2 - Battle for the pass vs Grand host of Nagash

nagash, necro, 40 skellies, 10 wolves, bat swarms, 10 grave guard, 4 archai

- major win

game 3 - duality of death vs Maggotkin (blight cyst) 

lord of blight, harbringer of decay, festus, rotigus, gutrot, 10 kings, 10 kings, 5 kings, 10 marauders 

major win

game 4 - total conquest vs Daughters of khaine

- morathi, medusa, cauldron, hag queen, 30 witches, 20 witches, 2x 5 flying chicks, 10 melee snakes

- major win

game 5 - scorched earth - nurgle daemons

- GUO (bell & knife) festus, D prince, 6 drones, 6 drones, 30 plague bearers, 10 marauders   

- major loss (14-12)

made mistakes in my last game but lessons learnt & keen to try tweak the list & see how we go :)

Congratulations Josh, a great finish in a 50man tourney.  Would love some more information on how you achieved your wins.  Also what are those tweaks you hinted at?  Come on don't hold out on us.  If you played with my list... Arkhan, 2x VLoZD, 2 Necros, Wolves in 15/5/5, Mortis Eng, Lords of sacriment, would it have bombed or coped well?  How did those spirit hosts do?  Sorry lots of questions.

Thanks

Jon

13 hours ago, Jon Jones said:

Congratulations Josh, a great finish in a 50man tourney.  Would love some more information on how you achieved your wins.  Also what are those tweaks you hinted at?  Come on don't hold out on us.  If you played with my list... Arkhan, 2x VLoZD, 2 Necros, Wolves in 15/5/5, Mortis Eng, Lords of sacriment, would it have bombed or coped well?  How did those spirit hosts do?  Sorry lots of questions.

Thanks

Jon

Thanks mate!

Umm im not really sure what kind of answer you want there? Its hards RE: tweaks because i like my list & think its good enough but just always interested in shuffling things & trying new things to see how they work basically, one idea I have is a vamp lord with winged terror & the orb to catch people out or just pump some more mortal wounds onto things.

Im not sure to be honest, I think your list has some potential. I think yours has more damage potential but I think i can control the board better with my list, which was pretty important in games 1,3,4. Also a unit of 20 i feel would be good for you for scenarios like total conquest where 20 man units auto cap.

Spirit hosts are the best, their kills included; 4 fulminators in 2 rounds of combat, 10 blightkings (buffed with damned and double pile in) in one round of combat, 6 blight drones (damned) in one round of combat, 3 archai with damned and double pile in) in one round of combat.

also a tacky photo with the boys haha

Db-zKo4UwAAekAD.jpg:large

21 hours ago, Vortumnas said:

Good Lord that's some serious damage from those ghosts. Was that with Van Hels?

combats with buffs are listed above

10 hours ago, Jon Jones said:

Thank you for your answers Josh.  Most useful.  How did you find protecting Arkhan?  Did he die much?  Which spells did you cast turn 1?  Is 30 dogs needed? How would 20 do?

Cheers

Jon

No worries, pretty easy with 30 dogs, i generally used him as bait most of the time to be honest. He didn't die at all over the weekend. Umm depends on what army i was playing, scenario & what the terrain was. Usually spectral grasp & a cheeky CoY. I personally like the big unit for previously discussed reasons, im sure it would be fine but I would recommend trying it and see what you think.

Only issue if youre using it for auto cap in total conquest as soon as they lose 1 they are unable to auto cap. So depends what youre using them for i suppose

5 hours ago, InvkrMainr said:

Hey Josh out of curiosity how did you do your bone?

I find that shade to be one of the best I've seen and I love it!

dryad bark up to steel legion drab maneeeee

On 4/11/2018 at 5:43 PM, gdieckhaus said:

Well... i think 113 out of 160.  My first tournament so learned alot!  I know I misdeployed the last game, and that cost me the game.  

The first time I took TK to Adepticon is still one of my favorite Adepticon memories.  I did about as well as you...but I had a blast.  In one game, a slightly wounded Nurgle lord brutally murdered my prince and rolled boxcars on leadership, dying to the curse!  I still relish the shock and rage on that guy's face.  In another game, my skullapult sniped a high elf wizard off the back of a saddle, and the monster reaction result was to sit there, cowering...staring at the casket of souls as wounds ground off turn by turn.  That player took the vagaries of fate a lot better than the RAWR powergamer Nurgle player.

• 3 weeks later...

Im looking into weather or not this is feasible....

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

LEADERS
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Necromancer (110)

UNITS
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160) -Ancient Spears

BEHEMOTHS
Mortis Engine (180)

TOTAL: 1970/2000     WOUNDS: 124
LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 3/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ALLIES: 0 / 400

2 hours ago, Major said:

Im looking into weather or not this is feasible....

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

LEADERS
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Necromancer (110)

UNITS
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160) -Ancient Spears

BEHEMOTHS
Mortis Engine (180)

TOTAL: 1970/2000     WOUNDS: 124
LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 3/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ALLIES: 0 / 400

I think 10 more direwolves (either in a group of 10 or two groups of 5) are going to do much more for you than that 20 man skeleton blob. They are faster, tougher, cheaper, and stronger after both units suffering a single wound.

Then you could throw in a Wraith or 5 more wolves with the saved points.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, Josh said:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Soul Harvest
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Dire Wolves (320)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

How much were the Necros able to support the Wolves?  I figure one of the benefits of the wolves is their speed but then the Necro just can't keep up.  I guess if you're turtling up or even bubble wrapping, then they might be profitably supported?

Second, you mentioned that a LoB list might have legs.  That means Blood Knights, right?  I really like the large unit of Wolves for board control.   Do you think that has a place in a LoB Blood Knight list?  With so few units, I would be worried about stretching too thin to cover/contest objectives.

2 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

How much were the Necros able to support the Wolves?  I figure one of the benefits of the wolves is their speed but then the Necro just can't keep up.  I guess if you're turtling up or even bubble wrapping, then they might be profitably supported?

Second, mentioned that a LoB list might have legs.  That means Blood Knights, right?  I really like the large unit of Wolves for board control.   Do you think that has a place in a LoB Blood Knight list?  With so few units, I would be worried about stretching too thin to cover/contest objectives.

define support?

i dont think you need to run BK to make the army work imo, Its 60 wounds that they need to 100% otherwise it keeps coming back. The unit of 30 helped me win my 4 games. I personally love the unit

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

define support?

i dont think you need to run BK to make the army work imo, Its 60 wounds that they need to 100% otherwise it keeps coming back. The unit of 30 helped me win my 4 games. I personally love the unit

I guess just the regen buff, but to be fair it isn't great.  Danse Macbre has 18" which isn't too bad but seems like the wolves could out pace it.  I guess with a big unit like that it is easy enough to just snake them back into range.  I'm just starting out so don't really have the practical experience of how it plays out on the table.

Archived