Tournament Death Lists Discussion

Josh

I Just thought it would be a good place for the people who enjoy going to a tournament & hashing out & refining their list, I feel it would be a good place to share & post up Death lists doing well around the world, because lets face it we aren't tier 1 and need all the help we can get!

One from Adepticon that was right up there, sadly no detail on spells or items

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
Necromancer (110)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I attended a tournament in San Antonio, this was the list that I brought; The general idea of it was based around overwhelming the enemy with threats, and presenting a very solid defense, with the incredible mobility and near immunity from Shooting VLoZD. Arkhan in in there to satisfy the magic requirements, and help take down some of the more stubborn enemy units with his spells. While the VLoZD flew around the board, causing havoc in the backline and triggering the Gravesites of both the Black Knights and the Direhounds, Arkhan and his magic show sat in the back and supported the skeletons, while also crippling/obliterating the enemy if they came near.

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soulpike (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Cloak of Mists and Shadows
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

cool list ^^ i like the idea of the VLoZD with that artefact, freaking sweet hammer!

im taking this to a practise tournament this weekend & also taking it to a 50 player event in Brisbane, ideally id like to swap a unit of 9 host for 4 archai but i wont have them ready in time

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Soul Harvest
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Dire Wolves (320)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 178

17 hours ago, Josh said:

I Just thought it would be a good place for the people who enjoy going to a tournament & hashing out & refining their list, I feel it would be a good place to share & post up Death lists doing well around the world, because lets face it we aren't tier 1 and need all the help we can get!

Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Ancient Blades

Love that list. Adepticon top10-like. Plan is simple we are legion.

I’m taking my double dragon night list to heat 2 this weekend!!

i find that playing a lot with a list and getting to know what it can and can’t do is actually more important than list design to a certain degree.

for example on paper my list doesn’t look highly competitive but at Blood Tithe I beat muderhost/Gore pilgrim combo, Fyreslayers and warherd. Narrowly lost to Changehost twice but they were dice roll loses not list/play fails.

anywho my list:

Legion of Night

VLoZD

general

shard of night

deathlance, Shield, chalice

vile transference

-1 bravery Command trait

VLoZD

sword, Shield, chalice

pinions

3x 5 Dire Wolves

5 Black Knights

2 Harbringers w/ Halberds

2x Terrorgheists

2000pts bang on

I am at Heat 2 this weekend and my Death are back out. Going with Grand Host of Nagash with most of my GHB2017 List.

Played a couple of games so far and this is the first list i have used Nagash in AoS as well. He is a beat stick and with the new book and the spells selected he dishes out serious damage. It is by no means a tournament honed list but my previous list was out of the ordinary which i often try to do, so will have to see how it goes. The new addition of the 20 Dire Wolves is great, love the size of the unit and the front line vs charging armies.

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)

Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Grave-sand Timeglass
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread

Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

20 x Dire Wolves (240)

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Blades

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Blades

Total: 1990 / 2000

On 10/04/2018 at 1:27 PM, Josh said:

Im taking this to a practise tournament this weekend & also taking it to a 50 player event in Brisbane, ideally id like to swap a unit of 9 host for 4 archai but i wont have them ready in time

I think you need a corpse cart to buff all those direwolves

On 4/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, Josh said:

Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Ancient Blades

As a lurking nurgle player who was at Adepticon I was terrified of facing this list. I have no idea how to attack it! Not looking for advice or anything like that.. just someone from the "opposing side" saying that this list looks really strong save for no real way to hold multiple objectives. 

This might be simplistic but for me matched play is objective play and objective control is about getting to them first and not dying, preferably mobbing them with bodies and denying space - you don't need to kill anything at all, or if you do only the stuff that can kill you. Everytime I start to think of a Death list I just think of multiple blocks of 40 Skeletons. There's mileage in just multiple cheap casters and  then just Skeletons / Wolves.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

i dig it @ChippyRick keen to hear how it goes!

Will get an update in here for sure. I havnt been playing to much recently so not the best practice for the event but i know how half the army works and its potentially better now with the additions / new book. Just need to get the most out of Nagash!

2 hours ago, Josh said:

they are just wounds & numbers for auto cap with 20+ & board control

Yes i looked at the corpse cart as i was going to swap it for the Banshee but dont have one currently and like the amount of heroes for now as a safety net almost

Old School Death Tomb King List I brought to Adepticon... 

Really suffered from no battalions and losing the drop war every time.

Allegiance: Death

Tomb King on Exalted Chariot (460) - General - Command Trait : Master of the Black Arts - Artefact : Ring of Immortality

Tomb Queen (120)

Tomb Herald (100)

Liche Priest (120)

3 x Skeleton Chariots (140)

3 x Skeleton Chariots (140)

20 x Skeletal Legionnaires (160)

30 x Skeleton Archers (300)

3 x Necropolis Knights (240)

3 x Sepulchral Stalkers (140)

1 x Tomb Scorpions (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

Wounds: 138

3 minutes ago, Bradifer said:

How did the tournament go?

Did you post a battle report anywhere that I missed?

No battle report yet, but the gist was:

Round 1: Chaos Dwarfs vs LoN.  Major victory for LoN

This was the first round against the ringer, so a major victory was already earned. But either way, I still scored a Major Victory. His list was the stereotypical Chaos Dwarf list, featuring a load of Bull centaurs, the flying bull, a bunch of demon engines, and lots of infantry. He evaporated one of my Skeleton Hordes and tore straight through Arkhan, but my VLoZD swung around and helped capped his objective. I also scored a first turn charge thanks to some lucky rolls and a good grave site positioning, tying up his flying bull before it could get anywhere.

Round 2: Big Dino Thunder Stomp VS LoN. Draw.

This game was a bit trickier, although not quite brutal on my side of the game. He played the Thunderstomp starquake list, or what ever it is called, which features the Bastilidons. Those things are rather tough to crack, although they were far less scary after a particularly good round of magic thanks to Arkhan. I was able to tie up his Cold one Knights and Carnosaurs via my Wolves and Mortis engine respectively, although it was only due to a lucky, or rather unlucky roll in his case, that his bastilidon got stuck in the middle of a Skeleton wave that pulled it apart. It was a draw however, since we had to control both objectives to make it a victory, and neither of us could break the other.

Round 3: Slyvanneth/w Raptors V LoN; Major Victory

This was a bit of a tricky matchup, seeing as he had a lot of ranged power, and a very frightening fist of Kurnoths/w scythes and Durthu. He filled the middle of the board up with trees, but I paid that little mind. Out of  the 6 objectives, I held my two for the entire game, and claimed the middle two for most of the game. I than proceeded to swing my VLoZD around his army, and carve up his backline, and than I proceeded to "Pillage" his backlines, carving through some Kurnoths, and two units of Dryad. Arkhan got lucky, and Curse of Year'd a Son of Durthu into non-existence, before getting mauled by the Kurnoths.

Spell wise, things were very important. The fact that the necromancers could fill out the basic  "Upkeep" spells of Vanhels, MS and AB while Arkhan could nick their spells made them a very powerful combination. Plus, the Mortis Engine proved pretty useful at tanking charges and hits.  Fading Vigour and Overwhelming Dread proved to be super valuable, and helped neuter a good deal of the enemy, and can really blunt the blow a elite unit or monster can do. Although, Amarthine orb felt a little underwhelming. It's a fun spell, no doubt, but I feel like Soul Harvest might actually be the more efficient offensive spell, since it's a flat d3 wounds that can potentially turn into d6.

Archived