Wanderers 2000 point List for Local Tournament

Murphy

Had an idea for a 2000 points list for my Wanderers army to run in a local tournament and wanted to get some feedback on it. The list as it stands is;

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waystrider (80)
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
- Wanderers Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
- Wanderers Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 117

Haven't looked into the Command Abilities and Artefacts side so feedback on that would be appreciated. Went for the Battalion to minimize drops.

It's to take enough units to fill the Battalion it requires Nomad Prince, Spellweaver, 3 Way Heroes of Any Combo 4 infantry units and 2 cavalry. I really like the battalion since it allows some great deployment tricks with allowing units from it to be set aside and come on from any board edge up to 6" and 9" away from enemy units and also gives all units a chance to shoot twice in a turn at a target near the nomad prince.

There is a Battalion Free Version of this list that looks like

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline
10 x Sisters of the Watch (220)
- Wanderers Battleline (Waywatcher General)

Units
10 x Sisters of the Thorn (440)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 142

Loses overall Mobility on Deployment for more bodies and less drops. Eternal Guard and Sisters of the Watch Guard the Home Objectives, Sisters of the Thorn and Phoenix go after enemy held ones, Glade Guard can do a bit of both if needs be.

3 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

The battalion is not worth it. Only if you really need to choose the first turn. 

Your second list is better, but take some waywatchers. Spare some sisters (either of them) or some glade gaurd to make space. 

I would agree, and would say cut the SotW. I think they are pretty terrible for their high point cost, I'd rather run 2 Waywatchers. 

12 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

The battalion is not worth it. Only if you really need to choose the first turn. 

Your second list is better, but take some waywatchers. Spare some sisters (either of them) or some glade gaurd to make space. 

There is some merit to the battalion with a 1 drop list that runs more shooting to take advantage of an ambush turn 1 double shooting phase, but yeah, if you aren't doing something dedicated, it won't be worth it.

Something like this could make the battalion good:

Allegiance: Wanderers
Nomad Prince (80) - General - Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths or Mystwalker
Waywatcher (100) - Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Waywatcher (100) (any of the waywatchers can be replaced with Wayfinders)
Waywatcher (100)
Spellweaver (80) - Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
30 x Glade Guard (360)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
5 x Wild Riders (140)
5 x Wild Riders (140)
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Because this list is a single drop, you can reliably give up the first turn, ambush in with the glade guard all within range of a target that is within 12" of the prince, shoot it, then shoot something else in the actual shooting phase. You can expect to do ~60 damage in that first turn of shooting. If you get the double turn, you can double up on the alpha strike, and do ~120 damage just with shooting before the other player has a chance to respond, and If you don't get the double turn, you at least have an eternal guard screen to protect the waywatchers and heroes from combat.

The main issue with this list is that if your alpha strike doesn't work for some reason, things will get pretty difficult.

Regardless, Sisters of the Thorn are a bit expensive for my tastes. 220 points for 10 wounds with just a 5+ save is too much to pay. Their spell is great with the eternal guard, but there are a lot of better units for the points. If they didn't have magic, they'd probably only be 120-130 points. Dark Riders have a comparable profile at 120 points. 90-100 points tacked on to a unit so it can cast spells is a bit much; you could get another wizard for those points.

36 minutes ago, Asamu said:

Because this list is a single drop, you can reliably give up the first turn, ambush in with the glade guard all within range of a target that is within 12" of the prince, shoot it, then shoot something else in the actual shooting phase. You can expect to do ~60 damage in that first turn of shooting. If you get the double turn, you can double up on the alpha strike, and do ~120 damage just with shooting before the other player has a chance to respond, and If you don't get the double turn, you at least have an eternal guard screen to protect the waywatchers and heroes from combat.

The main issue with this list is that if your alpha strike doesn't work for some reason, things will get pretty difficult.

Regardless, Sisters of the Thorn are a bit expensive for my tastes. 220 points for 10 wounds with just a 5+ save is too much to pay. Their spell is great with the eternal guard, but there are a lot of better units for the points. If they didn't have magic, they'd probably only be 120-130 points. Dark Riders have a comparable profile at 120 points. 90-100 points tacked on to a unit so it can cast spells is a bit much; you could get another wizard for those points.

You won’t get a hero phase shot in the first turn. Unless you’re opponent can pull off a first turn charge. In my experience, the hero phase shots only work 2-3 times a game.

I Love the sisters of the thorn. I normally bring a big unit of wildwood rangers and they benefit greatly from a reroll to armor save. 

Archived