Should/Could 40k Mandrakes become a AoS unit?

kenshin620

Ever since their original redesign debut back in 5th, I loved the bizarre demon unarmored samurai esque Mandrakes.

Given their essentially lack of sci fi elements from their models, could Mandrakes ever show up in AoS as some sort of aelve unit? Especially given the far more stranger aspects of aelves with the mutated daughters of khaine or the soul hungry deepkin. Plus it'll help move some product sales, especially given the somewhat dubious use of mandrakes in 40k (haven't checked the new codex yet, but mandrakes gave always been in a weird spot, and yes I do realize gw is trying to ween off finecast sales which is one thing that can easily sink this).

For those who have never seen them before:

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Ever since their original redesign debut back in 5th, I loved the bizarre demon unarmored samurai esque Mandrakes.

Given their essentially lack of sci fi elements from their models, could Mandrakes ever show up in AoS as some sort of aelve unit? Especially given the far more stranger aspects of aelves with the mutated daughters of khaine or the soul hungry deepkin. Plus it'll help move some product sales, especially given the somewhat dubious use of mandrakes in 40k (haven't checked the new codex yet, but mandrakes gave always been in a weird spot, and yes I do realize gw is trying to ween off finecast sales which is one thing that can easily sink this).

For those who have never seen them before:

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg

They are pretty good in Dark Eldar/Drukkari last codex. I think they will start seeing more use.

Besides that, they would feel too shoehorned into an army designed independently. A different thing would be if GW designed, say Malerion's aelves, following this concept and aesthetics. Even then, I can see GW creating a new unit, equivalent to Mandrakes, instead of literally using the same models.

Yes they could be a AoS unit since.. as you say they completely lack anything sci-fi (and even that could work if done right - KO for example) ... you could  use them as proxies for some aelves (but they'd not fit any current AoS army aesthethic incl. old armies). 

I guess they could be shadowwarriors? Or executioners? Or... flagellants in an otherwise aelf-themed GA order army (no idea why anyone would do this though)? They could be tree revanants or spite revenants I guesss... but those have awesome models that fit better in a sylvaneth army so I don't know why anyone would :D. I guess you could also use their upper bodies for those dark aelf warlocks on horses... they would fit there. Haven't really looked into deepkin.. might be good proxies for a unit there.. but again.. they'd have a newer and better fitting model already :D

I bought Lahmean to convert into a Darkling Covens Sorceress, as I hate painting skin:

dark_eldar_lhamaean_tournament__52765.14

It might be an interesting topic to discuss LOTR and 40K miniatures that are good for AoS (i.e. alternatives that are still legal for GW stores and/or tournaments).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived