New, trying to pick an army

wizo

I used to play Bretonnians when I was younger. Alas All I have left is the king on a hippogryph as he is now called. That could be converted to be a free people's general on a hippogryph, but I am wondering what faction to go. I play eldar in 40k and want to have something like Bretonnia in Age of Sigmar. I am able to be meticulous, like magic, and want to have a shooty/gun like army with calvary to support it. What army would support this? Also I refuse to play sigmarines since they basically lore wise have replaced Bretonnia and made sure Bretonnia will not come back : (.

There's probably two ways you want to play this...

1. Pick the models you like the look of and take it from there. This is probably a good path if all you have is one model as you have free reign to do whatever you want
  2. Pick an army that fits into the playstyle you have mentioned. From what you have said you are either looking at a Mixed Order army or maybe either something based around Aelves (Daughters of Khaine is latest book but no cavalry but Idoneth Deepkin are out soon and they should tick all the boxes) or Stormcast (does everything you want but magic are Prayers).

Also, please don't call Stormcast Eternals 'Sigmarines'. It's one of the most annoying things to refer to an army when you can just call them Stormcast ;) 

@AdamR  ohhhh you. Just... no.

@Gaz Taylor    Thank you. I mainly look at 2 and would not go for something I do not like. Why I am not going for chaos. When will the new deepkin be out? And where can I see the new rules/specs for them? Also I didn't even fully know the name until just now.  I might have heard it but not committed it to memory.

Thank you for helping me. I will look into that deepkin box. 

As a side question, how do battalions work and should you build an army around getting them?

8 minutes ago, wizo said:

When will the new deepkin be out?

I believe they are up for Pre-Order on 14th April but that's just for the Battletome and cards (so out in shops on 21st April). I think the actual models will be up for Pre-Order on 21st. I would expect there to be plenty of coverage on https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer (free to watch live) next week!

18 minutes ago, wizo said:

As a side question, how do battalions work and should you build an army around getting them?

Battalions are a formation which gives you special rules to a collection of units if you match the criteria of taking that Battalion. So for example you want to use the Mega Battalion and in order to use it you need to have units A & B as well as 3 units of Q. If you do this, then they will get the special rule of re-rolling hit rolls because that's what units in the Mega Battalion get. (I'm sure you know this from 40K but just thought I would mention it in case anybody else wanted to know). In Matched Play games, Battalions will cost points to use and are chosen as part of your army (Matched Play is one of the three ways to play which is covered in The Generals Handbook).

As for building an army around them, all up to you! A lot of people do because Battalions also allow you to take an extra magic item plus more importantly when you deploy the unit's you will deploy the Battalion in one go which gives you an advantage for going first (see The Generals Handbook for details)

....... what? This is very different from 40k lol. We get our detachment bonuses for free and not points. Also deploying the battalion in one go, all of them is.... wow ok. I wish that there was a place I could read what each battalion does to compare. 

Sounds like you want Free People. A shooty gun army with magic and cavalry to support it? Free People for sure. Handgunners, Crossbowmen, Luminark, Hurricanum, Battlemages, Demigryph Knights, Pistoleers, Outriders, and Freeguild Guard to Hold the Line. They would fit your described playstyle perfectly.

8 minutes ago, wizo said:

...... what? This is very different from 40k lol.

Well it's similar in how you pick detachments but yes you are right there are differences ;) 

Key thing is pick up a Battletome or Generals Handbook for how it all works

9 minutes ago, wizo said:

I wish that there was a place I could read what each battalion does to compare. 

Best bet is reading through the Let's Chat threads in other parts of this forum, buying all the Battletomes, watching/listening to Youtube, Twitch or podcasts. If you really want, you can look for 1D4Chan Age of Sigmar tactics but take some of the info with a pinch of salt as it can be incomplete or slightly biased view point.

ok. I had a list that I stitched together from looking at free people due to having the hippogryph general, but idk what you guys would think of it.  This and the wanderers are all I have looked into at the point. Tell me what you think.

200 battle line

General on gryph- 260

Demigryph- 160 (3)

Freeguild Guard 280 (40) battleline

Handguns- 300 (30)

Crossbows 300 (30)

Luminark-240 (allies)     

Gunmaster-80 (allies)

Freeguild General-100

Second-

Freeguild guard- 80 (10)

Is this a terrible list idea or what would you guys recommend? Going in blind and I do not want to spend a ton on units that I will not use  : P

Edit: I have this as an eventual list to work towards getting pieces here and there.

This is the limit of my Sigmar knowledge atm : P

3 minutes ago, wizo said:

Is this a terrible list idea or what would you guys recommend?

I would recommend you post the list in the Order section of the forum ;) 

Else I'll move this topic. I'm happy with it being here as it's useful for other players but as soon as we go into list discussion, move into the other sections relevant to it ;) 

11 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

more importantly when you deploy the unit's you will deploy the Battalion in one go which gives you an advantage for going first (see The Generals Handbook for details)

I cannot find this, where is it written?

Archived