What is the deal with Dire Wolves?

Cargo Cult

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like three or so editions ago I was hooked on the VLoZD, Dire Wolves, Fellbats, and Black Knights lists.  There was something fun about a fast punchy undead army.  These days running a mobile army can be risky.  Bad position or a terrible combat results against tarpits  has lost me games.  Which feels right since there shouldn’t be a single meta. 

17 hours ago, ianob said:

I’ve pribaby spent CP bringing back dogs more times than I’ve brought back anything else. Dogs get wiped more often than big units and hence are more often there as a summonable resource, for me anyway.

A unit of dead dogs that wins the game be being summoned onto an objective doesn’t care that it’s only worth 60 points :)

Sorry to be really slow but I haven’t had the chance to read all the new rules yet. How does summoning now work? Do you spend CP rather than reinforcement points?

Just now, Cargo Cult said:

Sorry to be really slow but I haven’t had the chance to read all the new rules yet. How does summoning now work? Do you spend CP rather than reinforcement points?

Nope just the LoN book rules The legions command abilities bring back a wiped out unit for 1CP. There are no reinforcement point rules anymore if you haven’t seen that bit yet.

26 minutes ago, ianob said:

Nope just the LoN book rules 

aaaand if you wipe out an enemy unit near (9“) a gravesite, on a 4+ your able to put back a previously destroyed unit.

some restrictions but something to remember.

11 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Like three or so editions ago

I am working on a retro vampire court army right now.

lord with knights, 2x10 wolves, bat swarms, the coven throne and then the rabble necromancer with 60 zombies and a corpse cart...

relativly mobile, good command abilities and a bunch of style.

versatile in load out too, VL to vlozd, Black to blood knights, add in some vargheist or a terrorgheist... haven’t done the math yet, but looks pretty doable at all scales. Not for a weekend tournament but more like a Wednesday or Thursday list ?

13 minutes ago, Honk said:

aaaand if you wipe out an enemy unit near (9“) a gravesite, on a 4+ your able to put back a previously destroyed unit.

some restrictions but something to remember.

Only for Sacrament. Not a universal rule.

Make sure the ribs are pointed the right direction.  Iirc they're labelled 'r' and 'l' on the sprue for left and right side?  Am I remembering right?  I recommend glueing each rib half to the respective wolf body half before glueing the body halves together.

Archived