What is the deal with Dire Wolves?

Cargo Cult

They're a great unit but I think a lot of people haven't tried 10 man units of Skeletons due to how good Wolves look in a vacuum. Skeletons are easier to regen, have more model count, and provide a vital bounce target for keeping Necromancers alive (which they can often do whilst also sitting on an objective if you position correctly). Depending on your army I dont think that the Wolves are as auto-include as they're made out to be if you're looking for objective sitters. As objective grabbers though, they're great!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the decision what to include where and how always depends on the use and objective you’re trying to archive and personal favor.

Bought some (15) puppies for my legion of night hunting party, as fast objective grabber. Skellis for babysitting in 10s and mir aggressive as the 40 centre blob.

just saw a betrep from mwg with 30 graveguard and although they are not the hot sh*t here, they really did serious work there.

never saw 10+ wolves do their stuff, so not quite sure how they will perform. Josh seems enthusiastic, sooo I kinda believe him

On 13.4.2018 at 1:09 PM, Honk said:

Yes, trying for the „hunting party“ look, for the legion of night...

Red Duke with his 3x5 wolves, two necros with 40 skellis aaaaand

baaahmmm, 4 morghast and a terrorgheist in you face.

but the eyes...still bugs me, but maybe as unit difference green and red and blue.  Or maybe purple... damn...

Belly is getting the darkest chestnut brown, with dark wine red for the paws.

in theory pretty easy, but the details, really bugging me

Green always give me trouble too... I did several different tries till I was happy with my green ethereal Hexwraiths....

3 hours ago, Honk said:

I think the decision what to include where and how always depends on the use and objective you’re trying to archive and personal favor.

Bought some (15) puppies for my legion of night hunting party, as fast objective grabber. Skellis for babysitting in 10s and mir aggressive as the 40 centre blob.

just saw a betrep from mwg with 30 graveguard and although they are not the hot sh*t here, they really did serious work there.

never saw 10+ wolves do their stuff, so not quite sure how they will perform. Josh seems enthusiastic, sooo I kinda believe him

was going to say the same thing, depends on your list & what you need to achieve 

On 4/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, ParachuteHopper said:

Chaos warhounds could also be a model option if you aren't totally into the fenrisian wolf look. 

This is what I did, with a few bones stuck to them and a little drybrushing to make the fur look moldy and rotten.

I have a 1500k list consisting entirely of corpse carts, dire wolves, necromancers, and zombies, and its way more effective than it has any right to be.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, ParachuteHopper said:

Chaos warhounds could also be a model option if you aren't totally into the fenrisian wolf look. 

This is what I did, with a few bones stuck to them and a little drybrushing to make the fur look moldy and rotten.

I have a 1500k list consisting entirely of corpse carts, dire wolves, necromancers, and zombies, and its way more effective than it has any right to be.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deadkitten said:

I found a bunch of goblin wolves on the cheap.  Trying to decide to do them up natural brown's  or scary black.  

(First post!)

20180512_204004.jpg

Most of my original Dire Wolves came from a trashed Battle Master set.  I actually like the current zombified line.  Don’t much care for how they assemble with the ribs, although it didn’t help mine were hastily assembled (for a league)  without the directions.

On Topic:

In AoS mine fill the odd point gap at 60 or 120 which keeps popping up.  Zombies at those numbers are disappointing.   I really enjoy how versitile (outside damage dealing) Dire Wolves are in most of the Match Play missions.  It’s not that hard to find a tactical use for them.  I won my second to last game sacrificing a 5x unit to some Gor Grunkas to earn two more VPs and deny him the same.

I wouldn't be shocked to see dire wolves at 80, and skeleton warriors at 100.  It would hurt, though.  I also wouldn't be shocked to see the batch size adjusted to match the box size in addition to or instead of a per model points hike.  maybe 140 per 10 instead of 80 per 5, for a slightly smaller points hike that mostly just makes them less spamable in small units?  Discounts for black knights and wight kings, and discounts/batch size changes for zombies also wouldn't shock me.  But then again, core rule changes could also affect the relative quality of these units, so who knows.  Changes to how command abilities are used, for instance, might justify wight kings without a points adjustment, though even then I'd personally consider 100 a fairer price than 120, but that's just me.

I'm not sure what points adjustments might similarly make the current points costs of dire wolves more reasonable.  If anything, the few details we've heard so far (no shooting out of combat in particular) would make them even better than they already are, not worse.  We'll see, I guess.

I'd say we'll probably see point adjustments for both Direwolves and Skellies, specially considering the new upcoming rule of no shooting out of combat, since fast chaff units that can tie up key units for a shooting phase will become extra valuable I feel (considering you are losing a 60 point unit to block a potentially key unit from doing anything relevant for a turn).

42 minutes ago, Honk said:

Did I miss some rule announcement?! I‘d like that...

https://ageofsigmar.com/ 

Check the trailer there, he says a bunch of things. Apart from the shooting thing, command points will be introduced, double turn is going to be changed in some way and heroes will be able to use command abilities even when they are not the generals (though we do not know how restricted this will be)

10 hours ago, grungolah said:

Maybe they are saving a new sculpt

Maybe, they „forced“ me to buy a bunch of fenrisian wolves for twice the money... so maybe they are quite pleased with the shortage of dire wolves, it GDubs after all

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 3:14 AM, Honk said:

So I guess ghb18 will stir things up quite nicely again... and probably up the sales of bat swarms or fell bats quite nicely, to bind shooting enemies in combat, muhuhahahaaaahahaaa

I didn't even consider bat swarms, those are going to be even nastier against shooting armies, assuming lookout sir stacks(don't see why it wouldn't).

8 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I didn't even consider bat swarms, those are going to be even nastier against shooting armies, assuming lookout sir stacks(don't see why it wouldn't).

With the new summoning mechanics returning 5x Dire Wolves (throwaway objective grabbers) or 2x Bat Swarms (blockers) will be a real option for Legion Battletomb players.  My only regret will be the General VLoZD with Dread Knight choice dilemma.

27 minutes ago, grungolah said:

The site let me order 30 doggies this morning.  Crossing my fingers!

Hope you like allot of detail painting.  I only have ten of the newer plastic zombie sculps and they took forever with the bone, 3+ different types of fleshy  bits, and the random “things” on them.

GW really put serious development time in for them.

Archived