What is the deal with Dire Wolves?

Cargo Cult

I’m seeing a lot of love for Dire Wolves since the advent of LoN. I get that they are cheap battleline but beyond that I’m worried that I might be missing something. Can I have a few pointers on how people are using them? For example:

What unit size should they be in i.e. big horde or units of 5 to maximise healing from gravesites and heroes?

What role are they best at i.e. a sacrificial screen, rushing to objectives, hunting support heroes in the back line?

Any other examples from competitive games when they have been used well?

Assuming they are worth it I’d definitely go down the route of Fenrisian wolves painted as ghosts. Anyone got any pics?

Cheers

Cargo

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You pretty much hit on the main points. They are cheap battleline that is mobile.  If they weren't battleline I don't think they would see much, if any play. 

The main uses imo are screening, objective babysitting, and sneaking to take back line objectives that aren't being protected.

Small units is ideal. If you go to a big unit they aren't really as mobile anymore and at that point both Skeletons and Zombies are more efficient at doing the giant "anvil" job since they are easier to bring back to life. 

Won many games using the dire wolves as a 5-man (10 wound) screen that's really fast and keep retreating to capture objectives or re-screen, or just retreat to regenerate.

You'll regularly run these guys an average of ~13 inches.

Since they are fast, you can run them up and park morghasts w/halberds behind them. Your opponents can't charge the morghasts but if they charge the wolves, the morghasts get to pile in and attack with 2" reach.

The dogs will disappoint at doing damage, I wouldn't try to flank heroes, you probably won't kill any.

My standard list always includes a 40 man skeleton block and 2 x 5 dire wolves. If you have extra points, look at the value of 5 more dire wolves vs. a cairn wraith.

Your opponent doesn't want to put any effort into killing the wolves, which is fine because they usually are the units to actually win via objectives.

4 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Dire wolves are fantastic. A unit of 10 can be a serious headache for your opponent as he/she won’t bother trying to kill them. And units of 5 are perfect screeners and objective grabbers. Try them out, you’ll love them!

Quite literally on the basis of this I’ve just ordered 15 Fenrisian Wolves!

They’re every undead player’s dream unit for battleline. They’re 60 points and they meet your battleline requirements for a very cheap cost. The benefit being that you can now spend those valuable points on morghasts and grave guard.  

4 hours ago, Cargo Cult said:

I think Fenrisian Wolves look better anyway. Mine have just arrived. I just need to decide whether to paint them as ghosts or potentially a sandy colour (like lions essentially) to match my tomb king aesthetic.

Dire jackals! 

On 11.4.2018 at 10:41 AM, Josh said:

they arent anything to be proud of but

Don‘t be fishing for compliments...

they look cool, with spooky eye osl 

just received my first 15, will be going for the black hounds of the count. Abaddon Black with Midnight blue Highlight, and a sliver of white for the sleekness. Then red osl eyes...

8 minutes ago, Honk said:

Don‘t be fishing for compliments...

they look cool, with spooky eye osl 

just received my first 15, will be going for the black hounds of the count. Abaddon Black with Midnight blue Highlight, and a sliver of white for the sleekness. Then red osl eyes...

Going for a good ol' Baskerville mate?^^
I am also still debating with myself how I will do mine... Currenly between Ghostly and dark "Hellhound" style with glowing red eyes....

3 hours ago, Arael_Greywings said:

Going for a good ol' Baskerville mate?

Yes, trying for the „hunting party“ look, for the legion of night...

Red Duke with his 3x5 wolves, two necros with 40 skellis aaaaand

baaahmmm, 4 morghast and a terrorgheist in you face.

but the eyes...still bugs me, but maybe as unit difference green and red and blue.  Or maybe purple... damn...

Belly is getting the darkest chestnut brown, with dark wine red for the paws.

in theory pretty easy, but the details, really bugging me

Archived