Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Chris Tomlin

Events UK: BLACKOUT - Firestorm Games - 4&5th August - Tickets on sale now!

Event Title: BLACKOUT - Firestorm Games - 4&5th August - Tickets on sale now!
Event Author: Chris Tomlin
Calendar: Events UK
Event Date: 08/04/2018 12:00 AM to 08/05/2018 12:00 AM

Good afternoon boys and girls,

Please to announce that BLACKOUT will be returning this year. Once again it will be held at the wonderful Firestorm Games in Cardiff, over the weekend of 4-5th August.

**Update 13/04/18**

We will be playing 5 games of straight up Matched Play Warhammer, using Matched Play battleplans from the General's Handbook 2017 (unless this year's Handbook drops before the event). I will announce each battleplan before the start of the round.

Lists will be submitted to myself on the day (paper copy please). Command Traits, Artefacts and Spells etc must be listed and will not change for the duration of the event. I also ask that you have a second copy (paper or digital) that you exchange with your round one opponent. Please take a few moments to check each others lists before the game starts.

All models must be based on suitable round/oval bases and of course we will be measuring to bases!
No other house rules as such, we will be following the Matched Play guidelines within the General's Handbook 2017 including Rules of One etc.

Terrain is not required.

• All models must be fully painted* and based otherwise they will be removed and you will incur a 10 point penalty.
  • Please note that this year there is also a 5 point penalty for armies that are not cohesive.**
  • 50 Tournament points available; Major Victory = 10, Minor Victory = 8, Draw = 5, Minor Defeat = 2, Major Defeat = 0
  • First tie break is Sports votes (be nice whilst winning!), the second is kill points scored.
  • Armies will be displayed on Saturday lunch so that I can shortlist Best Army nominations for a public/judge vote on Sunday. If your army includes reserve points, you can display additional models from your summoning pool, however the overall army you display cannot exceed 2,000 points.
  • Each player will vote for Best Sports at the end of the event, in the case of a tie, the highest placed player will win the award (win whilst being nice!).

*I will not use the term "3 colour minimum" as it is open for abuse. If you are unsure whether your models are painted(?!), please get in contact with me.
**Cohesive means that all models are clearly from the same army and follow a distinguishable scheme be it through colour, theme or basing. Basically this rule is to stop people borrowing random units from their mates etc, it has nothing to do with the quality of painting.

If you like soft scores, I will be bringing back a soft score heavy event in 2018!!! For BLACKOUT 2018 though, the winner will be decided by gaming points, with a slight soft score twist on the tie break (see below).

The Trophies available are;

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place: as above these are scored purely on the 50 gaming TPs available, with sports first tiebreak (kill points 2nd).
  • 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best Army: these will be player judged from a nominated shortlist on the Sunday.
  • Judges Choice Best Painted Army: this will be my favourite army at the event, entirely possible it will be one of the above 3 though.
  • Best Sports: as above this will be based off player sports votes with the highest placed player winning in the event of a tie.
  • The James Hayday Award: this will be awarded to the player who finishes last. Your name will be carried forward to my next event.
  • Best In Alliance (Destruction, Chaos, Death & Order): these will be decided purely on Kill Points so can be won by anyone. In the unlikely event of a tie, highest placing will win.
  • Also the Friday night event (Shadespire and/or Skirmish) will have appropriate trophies.

Saturday 4th August - BLACKOUT Day One

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Registration & Announcements: 09:00 - 09:30
Game One: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game One please display you army so I can select Best Army nominees 
Game Two: 13:15 - 16:00
Game Three: 16:15 - 19:00
Firestorm Games Closes: 23:00

Sunday 5th August - BLACKOUT Day Two

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Game Four: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game Four the Best Army nominees will display their armies for voting
Game 5: 13:15 - 16:00
Results Presentation: 16:30 - 17:00

There will be a side event on the Friday, this will be AoS Skirmish and/or Shadespire tba.

Tickets are available now and are priced at £45 - as the event is held in Firestorm you will be fed lunch both days (they have a kitchen with Chef!). Breakfast is available for additional cost direct to Firestorm (pay on the day).

Payment is to be made via PayPal as friends & family to lunatic_pandora@btinternet.com

Please note that the final date for refunds on tickets is 03/07/18.

There is plenty of space (up to 100 tickets) and I would advise looking at accommodation ASAP if interested as Cardiff can get pricey.

I look forward to seeing you all!
Chris

BLACKOUT - Firestorm Games - 4&5th August - Tickets on sale now!

• Like 1

Entrants - updated 23/05

- Paul Buckler
- Laurie Huggett-Wilde
- Tom Hewitt
- Will Philpott
- Ian Gilmore 
- Russ Veal
- James Eveleigh
- Tim Fisher
- Ben Diesel 
10 Mike Wilson
- Patrick O’Sullivan 
- Sam Davies
- Steve Hursell
- Steve Phillips
- Matt Arnold 
- Liam Cook
- Jonathon Kyprianidis
- Matthew Lyons
- Jen Lyons
20 Chris Lewis
- Elliot O’Neill
- John Greene
- Chris Mills
- Ed Hamon 
- Daniel Ford
- Marc Brookes 
- Owyn Abram
- Ben Johnson
- Mathew Davies
30 Danny Cashman
- Jack McQuiggin
- Rob Ellis
- Stephen Curtis
- Matthew Sheret
- Francis Arthur
- Martin Clarke
- James Allan
- Karl Breakspear
- Dave Roberts
40 Les Martin
- Patrick Rance
- Karl Wadley
- Sean Houghton
- Andy Talbot
- Mike Parker
- Pete Allison
- Chris Allison
- Alex Gilbank
- Paul Marshallsay
50 Adam Elford
- James Box
- Tom Dix
- Nicky Martin
- Greg Shelton
- Dan Hadert
- Tom Wall
- Jon Barwise
- Josh Richards
- Maxime Julian
60 Aaron Bailey (Spare Player)
- Wayne Rendell
- Aaron Hazell
- Sam Sendell
- Ritchie McAlley
- Ian O'Brien
- Mark Curtis
- Martin Neal
- Stewart Callander
- James Tinsdale
70 Tom Lees
- Leo Rautonen
- Simon Froley
- Kieran Harper

Grudges - updated 18/05

1 - Matthew Lyons vs Ben Diesel
2 - Adam Elford vs Sean Houghton
3 - James Box vs Jonathon Kyprianidis
4 - Chris Lewis vs Tom Hewitt
5 - Matt Arnold vs Elliot O’Neill

• Like 1

Tentative “yes”, but need to sort it with work - I’m not quitting this job to attend like I did last year...

• Haha 1

Me and my brother should be up for this again, just need to sort out the hotel without needing to sell a kidney!

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Petloski said:

Tentative “yes”, but need to sort it with work - I’m not quitting this job to attend like I did last year...

Haha yeh fair one dude! Hope you can make it.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Locien83 said:

Really hoping to attend this year, missed out last year so can't wait!

Would be great to have you along!

23 hours ago, Dan.Ford said:

That's a yes from me :)

Good news Dan!

23 hours ago, Portz said:

I should be up for this dude thanks Mike Porter

Niiiiice!!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Me and my brother should be up for this again, just need to sort out the hotel without needing to sell a kidney!

Awesome, be nice to see you both again. Good luck with the hotels! :S (I booked Travelodge Cardiff Central for £183 for two nights)

• Like 1

Guys,

Ticket info will be on Twitter this evening, so keep an eye on @the_black_sun for updates. Full details will be added here tomorrow.

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 1

Tickets are available now and are priced at £45. Payment is to be made via PayPal as friends & family to lunatic_pandora@btinternet.com

• Like 1

Morning,

Thanks to those who have paid up so far. Hopefully get a fair few more on board in the coming weeks before I look to finalise number.  The entrants list will be updated this afternoon.

Entrants & Grudges updated 10/04

Gutted I can't get out of working this weekend, last year was a great time.

Anyone on the fence about going, I can't recommend it enough - Firestorm / Cardiff is a great venue, and Chris ran a really good tournament last time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boots468 said:

Gutted I can't get out of working this weekend, last year was a great time.

Anyone on the fence about going, I can't recommend it enough - Firestorm / Cardiff is a great venue, and Chris ran a really good tournament last time!

Thanks James, shame you can't make it this year.

Just to confirm, the final date for refunds on tickets is 03/07/18

Updated the first post with pretty much all the tournament info you'll need. I will put a pack together at the start of May.

I've decided to keep a similar scoring structure to last year as it worked well I thought. The only "soft scores" will be using sports votes as first tie break again. I have introduced a penalty for non-cohesive armies.

If you love super heavy soft score events, I will be running one of these in March/April next year.

Chris

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

I'm in, ticket paid for... just me though. Going Han Solo! 

Not....goating Han Solo? ;) 

Great to have you on board mate. The numbers are creeping up!

Don't forget you can issue grudges, which I wholly encourage.

56 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Not....goating Han Solo? ;) 

Great to have you on board mate. The numbers are creeping up!

Don't forget you can issue grudges, which I wholly encourage.

But I like everyone on that list... Except @Ben Johnson, that guy can do one... ;)

Edited by HobbyHammer

18 hours ago, Caffran101 said:

Need to have a conversation with the wife (the Sunday falls on her birthday).

Watch this space ....

Sell it as you're taking her for a dirty weekend in Cardiff! :P 

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Caffran101 said:

Pano accepted by grudge last night. Looking forward to a shouty first game.

Great, I will get that updated now. Keep the grudges coming

Also up to 60 players including @Forestreveries as spare player which means maximum rankings points!!

It's now been payday for most people so hopefully we'll see a few more sign ups as well.

Chris