(FEC) Chamber of the Bloodied Dawn

Mr. White

On 3/31/2018 at 9:25 AM, TheWilddog said:

These look great, very evocative.  Would love to hear some more fluff about their background.

Thanks!  A little more on their background...Basically, they're the depraved citizens of Elixia left in the aftermath of the Realmgate Wars. Feasting on the corpses in the ruins of that conflict, they've come to see themselves as Stormcasts and stalwart defenders of the city and its local hero, the Silver Maiden.

(However, this tomb banshee isn't the Silver Maiden, but some random banshee that is exploiting the ghoul's insanity. They don't know any different, and she isn't saying anything...)

I was very much a fan of Bretonnia and the Vampire Counts in the Old World. The FEC in AoS is a great concept to bridge those two long standing interests. However, I felt portraying the ghouls as thinking they were King Arthur style knights was a bit out of place in the new GW fantasy. Why wouldn't they think they're the most noble golden boys of this era? So, here's my attempt at having some ghouls that think they're heroic Stormcast Eternals, while still getting that bit of Bretonnian knightly chivalry with their reverence of Celemnis.

oh @TheWilddog, when looking at the SCE Battletome, I chose a chamber that used the hammer iconography because Celemnis had a smithy. The fact that there was a little used one called the 'Bloodied Dawn' that was all about fighting chaos from birth, was icing. So, choosing the shoulder pads and shields I did wasn't an accident...this was a perfect fit.

3 hours ago, Mr. White said:

oh @TheWilddog, when looking at the SCE Battletome, I chose a chamber that used the hammer iconography because Celemnis had a smithy. The fact that there was a little used one called the 'Bloodied Dawn' that was all about fighting chaos from birth, was icing. So, choosing the shoulder pads and shields I did wasn't an accident...this was a perfect fit.

Cool stuff. The SE pivot was genius. As you said the fluff leads to a more old knightly place, but having them take on SE iconography fits so well. Again great job.

40 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Cool stuff. The SE pivot was genius. As you said the fluff leads to a more old knightly place, but having them take on SE iconography fits so well. Again great job.

I'm not entirely sure armour would be left behind from dead Stormcasts for these crazies to pick up and use...but...eh some liberties need to be taken I suppose. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Chamber's varghulf just flew in...

20180616_200914.jpg.530eea3d213950997c4e2818f4261c0e.jpg

Splitting from the normal varghulf fluff, ours isn't so feral and savage but a bit more...refined. I see him as the cool, sharp dressed Destro to my abhorrant ghoul king's shrill hissing Cobra Commander.

20180616_120038.jpg.6a03e1a64abdd207589f01dad6c5ee86.jpg

He's converted from a FW fimir noble body, and spare crypt flayer parts I had left over from the FEC start collecting kit.

I use Portable Warfare APCs as my storage, so with the large 60mm base he needed a lower profile to fit.

20180616_120125.jpg.99e46bc9e0b292ba4b9080670ba05006.jpg

20180616_120209.jpg.b9fd8a4a62d73c33cc301204085e6954.jpg

20180616_120220.jpg.64cdeba1fa3bd607687dcffd31752868.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

20180715_124458.jpg

Finally got around to the centerpiece of my Flesh Eater Courts army…the behemoth known as a Terrorgheist.

Fortunately, I’m taking part in a painting challenge called ‘Jewel of July’ where we choose a centerpiece model for any given collection of models hobbyist are working on. This big batty fella fit the bill for me as I had been putting it off and needed the push to get it done.

20180715_124310.jpg

As with the rest of my Flesh Eater Courts army,  I wanted it to appear Stormcast Eternal inspired. I struggled with what I could do with this model, but came up a local individual who had some spare Dracothian Guard chest plates. The creatures neck was too low to have them hanging from it and they wouldn’t be seen if they were protecting his torso as they do for the Stormcast mounts, so these became shoulder guards. To get some more iconography on the creature I wrapped a series of chains around its neck which hang a shield and medallion with seal. I see Lord Maulheart and Co tossing these chains around it’s neck ceremoniously prior to battle.

20180715_124436.jpg

Flesh Eater Courts can be designed with the Ghoul King either on foot or riding on the Terrorgheist. To account for this flexibility, I moved the model a little to one side of the base, angled a wing up pretty high, and created room to also put the Ghoul King on so I can have them together as one model in cases where I build the army with Lord Maulheart riding his mount.

20180715_124331.jpg

To be honest, I struggled with assembly of this creature. I found it pretty difficult getting all the rocks that it’s perched on to glue level on the base. Those struggles paled in comparison to how much trouble I had painting the beast. Painting this model really tested my patience with the hobby side of this…hobby. In the end, it doesn’t look too bad. There are definitely some spots I’ll go back and try too smooth up, but for now he’s sealed and ready to game.

In fact, I took the army out for a test run yesterday against a Nighthaunt army led by Nagash’s Bride. Lord Maulheart’s Chamber was routed…but he lived to to restore order to the Mortal Realms another day.

20180715_162529.jpg

The next issue with this creature is…how the hell do I store it?

20180715_133424.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I fell into a bit of luck recently. I was in the process of assembling another set of three crypt horrors to bring my force to 1k, when the local AoS organizer put together a fun, narrative event that included a jousting tournament. 

The FEC don't have a lot of mounted models, so I almost bought a Nighhaunt. However...I figured out a neat little trick that would give me a jouster and a Crypt Haunter Courtier for AoS games.

Introducing...Sir Jek and trusty mount Munch. 

20180916_165953.jpg

20180916_124229.jpg

20180916_123829.jpg.3a1c0acac4b96362a3a5b4a4689e1e77.jpg

8 hours ago, Mr. White said:

I fell into a bit of luck recently. I was in the process of assembling another set of three crypt horrors to bring my force to 1k, when the local AoS organizer put together a fun, narrative event that included a jousting tournament. 

The FEC don't have a lot of mounted models, so I almost bought a Nighhaunt. However...I figured out a neat little trick that would give me a jouster and a Crypt Haunter Courtier for AoS games.

Introducing...Sir Jek and trusty mount Munch. 

20180916_165953.jpg

20180916_124229.jpg

20180916_123829.jpg.3a1c0acac4b96362a3a5b4a4689e1e77.jpg

Love the idea of jousting! Especially if it leads to these conversions ?

How was it played? 

Archived